freeskier17

Please Help Me, Thanks

Ignore that previous comment ^.  I just looked and saw how much the vegas program costs. does anyone know a good cheap editing program?

Look to buy a hardware board (like a Firewire add-in board) that comes BUNDLED with a video editing package. I once bought a $75 Firewire board that came with the complete Adobe Premier 6.0 suite (full copy, not a demo) - at a time when Premier 6.0 itself was hundreds of dollars. These deals still exist, and are usually a MUCH cheaper way to buy a video editing suite.

Future Shock

... the case comes with a 400w power supply.  The only reason i chose that case is cuz i wanted to show off to my friends, so i wanted a clear side panel and for it to look cool, i can't really tell what makes a good case over others, other than the power supply, which i dont know how to tell if ones reliable or not ...

Well, one sure clue is if a case and "400 watt" power supply costs $29 you can be pretty sure it's crap.

Although people can argue over whether an Antec case and power supply is as good as a Lian Li case with an Enermax (for example) power supply, you would be far better off with any namebrand rather than a $29 no-name. The Antec Sonata, for example, comes with a 380 watt power supply and is about $100. It would be a good choice for you.

Ignore that previous comment ^.  I just looked and saw how much the vegas program costs. does anyone know a good cheap editing program?

You can buy some hardware with Vegas bundled....

A good cheap editing program? you can have one or the other but not both.

well i want a good editing program but at the same time i dont need to make multi-million dollar movies, i just want to edit some skiing footage and make it cool.

Hmm.. well whats your budget? You can get a variety of low end (and if you are lucky, prosumer level stuff like Vegas) video editing software with various bits of hardware, as people have mentioned earlier.

See if you can get your hands on a copy of something like Pinnacle Studio 9 (8 is kinda buggy.. I'd avoid it unless its REAL cheap heh ;) just to get started with things. It has plenty of effects and is pretty easy to use; but the same can be said for many other sub $100 pieces of software. It also has a few different ways to actually edit your video.. ranging from simple drag and drop, to a real timeline type setup like higher end software uses.

I don't have any experience with Vegas, but I do use Liquid Edition on a pretty regular basis, and I find it MUCH better than for instance Adobe Premiere.

CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, AGP, Model "SA5700L" -RETAIL

is this a good one? It costs $109.00 I am looking for a cheap one but at the same time i want one that will work pretty well. Like, could this run farcry or a game like that??

There are only a few Nvidia based cards that are competitive at all, and the FX5700LE is not one of them.

How much are you willing to spend on a video card? ATI Radeon 9600 and 9600 Pro based cards are in the same price range as that card, and faster. The 9600XT is a bit more, and faster. The next one up is the 9800 Pro for around $200 US. All of them will run Farcry.. though of course faster ones will run it better ;)

I think you might occasionally see a good deal on a Nvidia 5900, but I don't think its very competitive with the 9800 Pro at its usual prices. 5700 Ultras are ok too but still a 9600XT is comparable, if not faster for around the same price.

Okay so i picked out these 2 and was just wondering which one is better.

1: SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV- Out, 8X AGP -BULK -OEM

Specifications:

Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600XT/500MHz

Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/650MHz

BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X

Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out)+DVI Connector

Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0

Cable/Accessories: 1 Cable, PowerDVD, Driver CD

Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

2: POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV- Out, 8X AGP, Model "R96-D3G" -RETAIL

Specifications:

Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600PRO/400MHz

Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/400MHz

BUS: AGP 2X/4X/8X

Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video)+DVI connector

Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0

Cable/Accessories: VGA via DVI Adapter, 3 Cables, 2 CD, Manual

Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

Retail Box (See pics for details)

If the 9600XT is still within your price range, it is faster than the 9600 Pro. The increased amount of memory on the 9600 Pro you picked is not really helpful at all.

(and by the time games do want that large amount of memory available, most of the current cards will be too slow to keep up anyways)

oh yeash the xt was only like $10 more. i think it was $139 and the pro was $129 or something like that. but thatnks again. i think i might buy this before everything else and just put it in the piece os stinker computer im using now it really needs a video card.

im sorry i just wont let this thread die but can someone tell me if they think this is a decent motherboard. Again, i dont need anything great i just want it to work, and not slow down my system or anything like that.

CHAINTECH "9EJS1-ZENITH" i845PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

Specifications:

Supported CPU: Socket 478 Intel Pentium 4 Processors(Hyper-Threading)

Chipset: Intel 845PE + ICH4

FSB: 533/400MHz

RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR266/333 Max 2GB

IDE : 2x UltraDMA 100, 2x UltraDMA 133 up to 8 Devices

Slots: 1x AGP 4X, 6x PCI, 1x CNR

Ports: 2xPS2,1xLPT,2xCOM,1xLAN,6xUSB2.0(Rear 2),1xGAME,Audio Ports

Onboard Audio: CMedia 8738 6-Channel

Onboard LAN: Realtek 8100B 10/100M Fast Ethernet

Onboard RAID: Promise PDC20276 support ATA RAID 0/1

Onboard 1394: VIA VT6306, 3 Ports

Form Factor: ATX

(its on newegg if u really wanna look at it)

That chipset is 2 generations old and won't support anything faster than the 3.06GHz p4.

You'll want something that utilizes the 865 or 875 chipsets from intel.

simply goto newegg and select mobo-intel on the left and then search for the intel 865PE or 875P chipset. Personally, i'd go with something based on the 875 and make sure it is prescott ready.

Oh, i forgot how much those 875 mobos where... ouch... you might try something based on a SiS chipset. Roughly as good, but a heck of alot cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-157-027&depa=0

Has native S-ATA, supports prescot, one of the fastest 100MBit NICs available, passive NB cooler... ASrock is also pretty good about BIOS updates. i've setup 3 systems based on Asrock boards in the last year and I believe they are as good of quality as anything you'd get from a major manufacturer like Asus, Soyo, Abit, etc.

so that'll really work? Cuz thats even cheaper than the one i had picked out and it has more features like the 4x dimm stuff, so thats awesome. does this mean i have to use a different processor at all? Im plannin on using a p4 2.4c ghz 800fsb with a northwood core. and thanks alot blake, thats alot of help, i basically have no idea whatsoever what im getting myself into and all you guys on here have been a huge help and really nice about it too. so thanks to everyone on the SR forums

I would stick with the CPU you selected. you will definately want an 800MHz FSB processor and the northwood is cooler and a hair faster than the prescott.

just so i can put this thread to an end cuz im sure u guys are all getting sick of these dumb questions... Here's my final setup, well im not gonna have the money for another month or so, so i can still make changes, but for now this is what i decided on. If there's anything that flat-out wont work or u guys know something alot better than i have picked out then please, let me know.

Case

ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case With 380W Power Supply, Model "SONATA"

$99.00

Motherboard

ASRock "P4S55FX+" SiS655FX Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU –RETAIL

$50.00

Video Card

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK

$138.00

Processor

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

$169.00

Memory

Kingston ValueRAM Dual Kits 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200

$93.00

Hard Drives

1)Western Digital Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD1200JB, OEM Drive Only

$83.99

2)Western Digital 40GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD400JB, OEM Drive only

$55.00

DVD Burner

NEC 8X Black Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2510A BLK, OEM BULK

$76.99

Software

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a – OEM

$90.00

How About ECS "865PE-A" i865PE ? Take alook at NewEgg price, Only $49.00 shipped Via FedEx Saver. Also, you might want to take a look at Northwood 2.8C GHz/800MHz FSB For $179.00. not much more than the 2.4C GHz.

This one even lower price than ASRock and it's using 865PE. I like Intel Chipset alot better than any SISs or VIAs.

Good Luck With your new build. I think you'll have alot of fun doing that. :rolleyes:

Kind Regards,

2Old2Works?

my only worry with that^ one is a couple of the reviews said they had some small confusion installing it and i'm afraid that "small confusion" to them could mean "impossible" to me. But if u think its easy and i should be able to figure it out, then it sounds like the better one.

Although, Everything Looks Good there. Of all the parts you'd pick, I'd change one Item if I were you;

WD400BB, I'd go for the new 800JB Instead. With the new 800JBs you'll get FDB Instead of ball barring, 3 years warrantry instead of 1. I just Recieved 4 new 800JBs last week and was very surprised that they're all now with FDB. With black housing and smooth top. so no more barring noise.

Also, believe it or not, now the new 800JBs come with Temp.read out from Either DTemp or Sppedfan just like the rest of my Raptors. :D

Kind Regards,

2Old2Works?

my only worry with that^ one is a couple of the reviews said they had some small confusion installing it and i'm afraid that "small confusion" to them could mean "impossible" to me.  But if u think its easy and i should be able to figure it out, then it sounds like the better one.

I would not worry about that. It should be very easy to figue out. It's all normal for all first time builder to get some confusions.

Though,I've not use neither boards but I'd have got friends who bought ECSs from Fry's said, it's very good board and as stable as any ASUSs or Intel's boards for alot lower price.

As I mentions above, Personally... I would take 865PE Chipset over any others even it's cost more.

I did look at your again and I was mistaken about your pick of the 400JB Not 400BB. I think all "JB" Models come with 3 years warrantry?

I bought 4 New 800JB last week because they're onsale for $62.00 each and my office's machines needs new HDDs (Maxtor D740's are so noisies, I can't stand them!) Now, I won't have to listening to those cracking noises anymore!

You're always comeback here to SRs and asking for help from many Pros. if you're ever needs one. I'm sure you will always gonna get help.

Kind Regards,

2Old2Works?

thanks a bunch 2O2W? I think im gonna go with 2 800jb's, it's cheaper and its the same number of gigs in all. And also probably that mobo u said. Thanks again it sounds like u got me better stuff and at the same time saved me a couple bucks, so ur cool.