Eugene

Maxtor Maxline 3

Well, to be honest with you, if there is this much difference between samples, then there are some SERIOUS quality control issues at the manufacturing plant. I for one wouldn't buy this drive. This is usually just a symptom of other problems to come. The Maxline II had horrible reliability issues. And now with the Maxline III showing major discrepencies between 2 drives, I wouldn't bet my data on one. This line is almost getting as bad as the Death..errr...DeskStar 75GXP's that IBM had. With this NOT being an issolated instance (see above posters), there are some serious questions being raised about the ability of the product to work as advertised (and capabile as shown by a review of a different drive).

Personally I would rather own a new Seagate, WD, or Hitachi then this Maxtor. Unless the store you bought it from will take it back as defective, even though it "works", but not up to spec, then its just Russian Ruellete with your hard drive. Maybe it will work as advertised, maybe not. And if it doesn't good luck trying to get someone take it back (unless Maxtor does the right thing and tells their re-sellers that it is a known problem and to take back any/all drives that do not meet spec from users).

Well, to be honest with you, if there is this much difference between samples, then there are some SERIOUS quality control issues at the manufacturing plant.

Hello? It was a very early unit, not representative of the units in production for distribution.

To judge the reliability of an entire line based upon one harddrive is irresponsible.

FYI, other reviews of distribution models confirm SR's finding:

Maxtor_HD.jpgkickass.logo.jpg

All that being said, it would appear that many StorageReview readers agree with your praise of Seagate (WD is another matter). Anyone who supports Hitachi (f/k/a IBM) isn't helping the tech community. AFAIK, the deceptive crap IBM pulled with their 75GXP should have been sufficient to put their HD division out of business completely.

-[Ch]ams

amsalot,Oct 15 2004, 10:06 AM]
Well, to be honest with you, if there is this much difference between samples, then there are some SERIOUS quality control issues at the manufacturing plant.

Hello? It was a very early unit, not representative of the units in production for distribution.

To judge the reliability of an entire line based upon one harddrive is irresponsible.

All that being said, it would appear that many StorageReview readers agree with your praise of Seagate (WD is another matter). Anyone who supports Hitachi (f/k/a IBM) isn't helping the tech community. AFAIK, the deceptive crap IBM pulled with their 75GXP should have been sufficient to put their HD division out of business completely.

-[Ch]ams

well I recently purchased a 200GB DP10 8mb cache drive,

first hd tach 2.7 run, 16.7ms!

2nd run, 17.1ms!

So I shutdown all other program running completely.

Rerun, heres the results I got,

14.1 (programs running)

then I got hd tach 3.0 and got a pretty average result of,

13.6ms.

I find the range odd, however it could be due to other things running I believe?

Tnx.

How abot the RAID0 performance of the Maxline III. A Previous article here (Stop the RAID0 Insanity) states the gain of 2 raid0 drivers is marginal. However, this may not always be true for all drivers. Other reviews may point to a larger performance increase using raid0 in the case of Maxline III but not in i.e. Raptor’s case.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.a...cookie%5Ftest=1

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardwar...tor_maxline_iii

(german version, use babelfish.altavita.com)

http://www.barefeats.com/hard42.html

well I recently purchased a 200GB DP10 8mb cache drive,

first hd tach 2.7 run, 16.7ms!

2nd run, 17.1ms!

So I shutdown all other program running completely.

Rerun, heres the results I got,

14.1 (programs running)

then I got hd tach 3.0 and got a pretty average result of,

13.6ms.

I find the range odd, however it could be due to other things running I believe?

Tnx.

Hi everybody,

I just bought a Diamond Max 10 300Go.

I tested the access time with HD Tach 3 and everytime I get something between 15.5 and 16ms, even if I have nothing running on the computer.

I tried activating the AAM (accesses are really noisy without AAM) and I get an awfull 22ms !

My 3 other 160Go Samsung drives get a 16.5ms access time with AAM activated...

So... well... is this normal or should I give my Maxtor back ?

It will be used for storage only, so access time is not a big a deal, but I just want to know wether my Maxtor has a problem or not...

Thx ;)

I just got 2 Diamondmax 10, 300Gb's

But I will be sending these back as the access time was 16ms in both cases

way off Maxtors spec

Looks like there are many drives in circulation with similar access times to the

original Maxline III review

:unsure:

I just got 2 Diamondmax 10, 300Gb's

But I will be sending these back as the access time was 16ms in both cases

way off Maxtors spec

Looks like there are many drives in circulation with similar access times to the

original Maxline III review

:unsure:

Re the above :-

Here is something of interest

Done the same test on HD Tack 2.70 And much better results reported

between 13.4 - 13.5ms on average

So the question is which one is right, because my raptor drives give the same

results on version 2.7 & 3.0

B)

I have the same access time with both 2.7 and 3.0.

Can you give me a ling to the exact version you are testing with ?

Versions used are as on the the simplisoftware site, version 2.7 & 3

I just returned a 250GB Diamondmax 10 to ZipZoomFly. It would take 3-5 minutes to boot into Windows XP. Everything I did with the system was extremely sluggish. I solved the problem by replacing it with my Maxtor IDE drive. I used SANDRA to bench it and my Maxtor 7200RPM 8MB cache IDE HDD. The IDE drive scored 50MB/s and the new SATA only scored 15MB/s. I tried the same drives on a 2nd mobo with the same results. Now I'm questioning getting another one. Is anyone else coming out with a 7200RPM 16MB cache SATA drive soon?

You're better off judging a drive by whether it feels fast in use, than by using Sandra. Sandra gives inconsistent results, even between runs, that don't agree with other benchmarks or with user experience.

if i want to buy this hdd, how can i tell if i am getting a piece from the latest ones? and not one that is like the bad sample?

amsalot,Oct 15 2004, 10:06 AM]

-[Ch]ams

184694[/snapback]

No offend, but I would disagree on this.

I too believe Maxtor has serious reliablity issue.

The most important factor for HDD (data storage) should be "reliablity" over new tech. fast feature.

Of course, we want to make some HDD in system as fast as possible but I do NOT want to put large amount of precious data on unreliable HDD. So I would by small fast drive for my OS and such and rest of data kept safer place. And again, you can raid and burn money for fast huge HDD and constantly taking backup, but most of home user doesn't want to do this.

If the new tech gizmo increase or save on this, I would agree on your comment.

Imagine fast HDD would be nice but losing 300GB of YOUR data is not very fun and really frustrating.

I have very bad reputation with Maxtor HDD so far.

Lost 1 80GB data just dead all in sudden, and 200GB of data "2" times. I can't believe the one Maxtor shipped me back HDD as exchange of warranty failed within 3 month. And of course, other 3 HDD I have in system running just like charm.

In all cases, my Maxtor HDD just dead without any sign. On the other hand, my friend's IBM drive showed some sign for failure thus we could make backup before total failure and exhanged. I guess this really made me concern on Maxtor HDD.

This HDD seems nice but I really can't go for Maxtor anymore after my past experience.

I have had three 300GB Maxtor drives die without any signs of failure, monitored by SMART, no problems, just died on reboot. I beleive they blow a fuse during startup and are totally dead after that. I would never use one again.

Chris Mason

I just had 2 40GB Maxtor (the real cheap thin ones) blow up on reboot yesterday... both of them!

However, with regards to the Maxline II 300GB drives, we have 28 of them in our large enterprise raid system and we've never lost a single drive.

We also have 14 400GB Hitachi's in another raid unit, they seem to be performing well.. but they're still too new for me to say anything with regards to reliability.

I know there are problems with the el-cheapo Maxtor drives (same if not worse can be said about WD).... I've been impressed with the Maxline line so far.

Hi there!

This is my first post on this forum and first off, let me thank you guys at SR for providing all this great info on HDDs. Reviews on SR are always a great read and the review of the MaxLine III series is no exception, especially with the revised info on the drive.

In the article it's mentioned that the MaxLine III series equal the DiamondMax 10 series in specs and performance, and vice versa. How do the 8MB DM10s (200GB and below) stack up against the MLIII/high-end DM10s, though?

The thing is, I'm currently in the market for some extra storage speed, but money is somewhat tight, so when I can get 2 DM10 200GBs for the same price as 1 DM10 300GB, I'd choose that unless the performance hit is too high. Also, how much "better" really is the MaxLine series compared to the DiamondMax series, since another option for me would be to get some last-gen MaxLine II Plus 250GB drives at a good price. I'm just a bit concerned about some possible performance issues since the MLIIPs seem to be native (P)ATA drives bridged to SATA.

Someone "in the know", please help me out! Also, I apologize in advance if I've used the inappropriate forum for this.

TIA,

mbf

If you can afford a 16 MB cache DM10, go for that. as well as the 300 GB model, the 250 GB and reportedly some 200 GB models also ship with 16 MB cache. I'd still choose an 8 MB DM10 over an older MaxLine II+, though.

The MaxLines are DM10s that have been subjected to more thorough testing, so that Maxtor can certify them as more reliable for enterprise use. The drives are physically identical, they've simply passed more stringent tests.

There is no significant performance drop in a bridged SATA solution compared to native SATA. You lose the potential for NCQ, which only makes a difference to heavy random workloads such as file servers, and for SATA 300, which only makes a difference to marketing as no drive has yet topped 100 MB/s STR AFAIK.

That said, the bridged MaxLine II+ is still slower than the native DM10, but the bridge is not to blame.

Thanks a lot for your reply! I'll take your suggestions to heart, although I'm still a bit hooked on 2 DM10 200GBs rather than 1 DM10 300GB. There's just nothing like 100GB extra "for free", even with the funny way HDD manufacturers calculate drive sizes... :)

On a side note, you don't happen to know if the new "QuickView" version of the DM10 would be preferable to the original one? I just saw the QuickView models listed at the same price as the original ones.

Best regards,

mbf

I just bought 2 of these drives and evidently Maxtor is still having quality control problems. They are actually model # 7L300S0, which is supposed to be identical to the drive reviewed here except for the new environmental certification. The date of manufacture for both is May 16 2005.

I guess I should have originally posted here, but here's my original post:

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=20786

Hello,

How do I disable AAM (acousting mode) on my drives? I just bought 8 disks for use in a database server and after reading this forum I feel shaky/terrible about buying these.

I tesed them with Passmark Performance Test and got 3.0MB/sec random read+write, whereas the Western Digital 160GB WD1600JB whey're replacing got 3.4MB/s on the same test.

Linear write/read's are higher by about 3-4 MB (61MB vs 57MB/s for WD 1600)

Anyway, if you can help me disable this Acousting madness it would be great

Regards,

Igor

I was able to use the Hitachi Feature Tool to change the acoustic settings:

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

On all the drives I checked the settings were already set to max speed, even though the performance and noise varied widely between the drives. Disabling automatic acoustic management made no difference, but lowering the setting did quiet all the drives.

The Maxtor site says that these drives intended for 'low I/O duty' applications, so they may not be as reliable as you might want for a database server.

Also, even though these drives are advertised as having a 5 year warranty, some only have a 3 year warranty. According to the Maxtor rep I spoke to, this depends on which distribution channel they're sold through. You can check the warranty period by entering the drive serial number here:

https://www4.maxtor.com/en/support/service/..._number.cfm?dt=

Would you guys recommend a Maxtor Maxline III+ 250GB 16MB cache SATA drive for single user pc? Here, in Lithuania, I can get it for the same price or even cheaper as Samsung, WD or Seagate 250GB drives, all with 8MB cache.

What about reliability? It is very important.

Would you guys recommend a Maxtor Maxline III+ 250GB 16MB cache SATA drive for single user pc? Here, in Lithuania, I can get it for the same price or even cheaper as Samsung, WD or Seagate 250GB drives, all with 8MB cache.

What about reliability? It is very important.

217724[/snapback]

I'd be happy with that purchase. The Maxline III+ is a good drive, and has a good reputation. It gets more testing than the DiamondMax 10, which may help your peace of mind. I still recommend backups, whatever hard drive you're using.