Guest Eugene

Maxtor Maxline 3

Guest Eugene

Maxtor's latest MaXLine III combines an ATA traditional 7200 RPM spindle speed with a native serial ATA interface, 16 MB buffer, and 300 gigabytes of capacity. How does it stack up against today's greatest? StorageReview takes a look!

Maxtor MaXLine III Review

Nice review! Nice Disk!

But am I the only one that's waiting for such a disk with SCSI interface? I would like to buil myself a nice 0.5TB storage server, but i don't trust SATA RAID5 controllers. So this disk with SCSI would be heaven for me. Seagate announced the NL35 with FC, so SCSI can't be that hard to slap on a premium 7200tpm disk??

I just sold my two Maxline II 250GB SATA drives and bought one Hitachi 7K400 400GB SATA drive.

Then I read this review of the new Maxline III SATA 300Gb drive and I must say that at first I thought the Maxline III with its new 16MB buffer and native SATA interface sounded too good to be true - and indeed it was too good to be true B)

The performance is very good in som categories and not so good in other categories - so I'm not convinced that this drive is a serious contender to my new Hitachi 7K400 (which like the Maxline series also is recommended for near-line storage solutions as uppose to the little brother 7K250 drive)

Almost every test, i've come across, show the 7K400 is on par performance wise with the 7K250 250GB SATA drive - and on top of that, I get the extra 100GB compared to the new 300GB Maxline III drive.

I think I'll have to wait for the Seagate 7200.8 400GB 16MB SATA cache drive to get a really serious contender to the Hitachi 7K400 drive.

Wonder if Western Digital might be releasing a 400Gb or 500GB SATA 100/133 MB/platter 16MB cache drive any time soon - and WITH FDB engine ? :unsure::o:P

i read the anandtech review too. even with ncq they only had one benchmark where it did ~10% better. many times ncq actually did worse by a few percentage points. maybe in the future ncq will be better but now it seems to be no difference or a slight negative.

After looking at the AnandTech article, I'm really hoping that there was something wrong with Storage Review's sample, especially after noting the high access times that were recorded. The AnandTech sample appears extremely competitive with the Raptor II, even with NCQ disabled. Storage Review's sample puts up some good numbers, but its certainly not tracking with the Raptor the way Anand's drive did.

Granted, I don't think that AnandTech's benches are equivalent. Perhaps some one else could speculate on this. AnandTech did not measure access time, though, so I'm hanging on to the idea that if Eugene's sample had come close to spec in this area, we would have seen some more impressive numbers. In the mean time, I'm just hoping that there was a problem this drive, that the production model is Raptor fast, and gives you four times the Raptor's capacity for the same price. Fingers crossed.

It might be a bad sample but more likely the product is not completely refined. It's not shipping in volume yet... hopefully Storagereview will retest once the servo is tuned.

I heard a dirty rumor that Storagereview tested the drive in some OEM system with a cheap plastic drive bay. Is there any truth to this? To get the best performance drives should be mounted in a rigid, heavy-duty metal bay bolted down on all 4 corners.

The units that leaked out to the press were not approved to go to the press, according to Maxtor. They were shipped as part of the Intel 915/925 review systems. Approved products should arrive in July.

Guest Eugene
The units that leaked out to the press were not approved to go to the press, according to Maxtor. They were shipped as part of the Intel 915/925 review systems. Approved products should arrive in July.

Eh, I'm not part of the inner circle that receives Intel parts for advanced review. Our Maxtor sample came from Maxtor through their PR division.

It might be a bad sample but more likely the product is not completely refined.  It's not shipping in volume yet...  hopefully Storagereview will retest once the servo is tuned.

I heard a dirty rumor that Storagereview tested the drive in some OEM system with a cheap plastic drive bay.  Is there any truth to this?  To get the best performance drives should be mounted in a rigid, heavy-duty metal bay bolted down on all 4 corners.

Yeah I think its likely that the PR department sent a bad sample that had not been tested, or a drive that didn't perform as expected.

SR mounts its test drive to the drive bay of a metal case with all 4 screws. But regardless, its not an issue- if all drives are tested (mounted) equally, then you can make an honest comparison between drives. 10% faster is 10% faster. If the Maxtor suffers more of a penalty for imperfect mounting, then they need to go fix the thing.

It's a non-issue since this is a false rumor. Interestingly enough I have not come across this 'rumor' in any of my board readings. What was the source?

Or is this simply an attempted rumor in the making? (thats my guess)

Rumor came from someone involved w/the product. It's probably groundless.

I'd still like to see a retest once the firmware is mature though. There's no big reason why this drive should have access time significantly slower than the previous generation.

I'm assuming this is the same drive as the DiamondMax 10 as has happened in previous DM/ML lines.

Seems only 16MB is for the 250/300 lines and 8MB for the smaller ones.

But the DM10 200MB is £85 in the UK at the moment.

Hi,

I'm just about to buy a pair of Western Digital 740GD's, and I've read the other articles on here, but there seems not direct comparison between the WD 10K's and the Maxtor.

There's just something about a 10K drive that appeals to me! Though, having said that I've never liked WD, in fact, for many years I've actually dispised them (bad experiences with quality). If they wernt 10K and 5YR warranty, I'd try something else.

This maxtor offering certainly sound interesting tho, I always remember Maxtors as been slow ?

Does anyone know what other manufactures are doing ? I've always held a likeing for Seagate and Hitachi/IBM drives myself are they really doing nothing ?

Will there be a test/comparison of the DiamondMax 10 drives soon? You can get the 300 gb (6B300S0) ones online now.

Also to compare the Hitachi's and WD's with the Max Line III doesn't seem fair as according to Maxtor's website it is designed for servers and network applications. The DiamondMax 10's are stated to be for multimedia and gaming use. I want to see if it will beat the Hitachi's or if there is any difference between Max Line III and DiamondMax 10....

As seen before, this drive seems the fastest on STR. When using NCQ while transfering a big file, it does make a huge improvement. While when it has to do work that mostly depends on seek times it lags behind the Raptor, and we know there is a major number difference between both drives when it comes to seek times ect.

I recently purchased one of these drives OEM from www.zipzoomfly.com. They had the Diamond Max 10 300 Gb, as well as the Maxline 3 300 Gb. I went for the maxline, as it was the same price. Unfortunately, the drive I got had a random access time of 16.3 ms as reported by hd tach. I did read this:

http://storagereview.com/php/benchmark/com..._1=257&devCnt=2

where the second sample proved significantly faster (13.5 ms) than the first. I didn't get a drive similar to that one :(

Currently I am second guessing my decision to go with the Maxline and not the Diamond Max 10 even though their specs are the same. Maxtor might have made the D10 faster or something. If any of you out there are considering this drive, I would advise you to at least wait and see if Maxtor releases a better bunch of drives that are closer to their published spec of 9.3 ms (I think).

Also, how do you check to see if your drive is in "Quiet Mode" and not in "Performance Mode"

SR has recently retested the MaXLine III with a second sample that delivers a more competitive access time. How much have things changed? Take a peek and see how the Maxtor stacks up with today's competition.

Maxtor MaXLine III Review (Revised)

Second sample IMHO sounds like specially-optimized-for-SR sample.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Best Regards

Good luck finding Maxline III 300GB's. One or two shouldn't be a problem... but...

<_<

We were able to get a bunch of samples at work, but when our follow-up order was 10x the expected size (200+ drives rather than 20), Maxtor gently reminded us that the drive is on allocation and to expect them in November.

Needless to say that did not make everyone happy.

Nice review!

Pretty disappointing performancewise compared to the 7200.8 up ahead though.

Anybody know when we can expect 133GB/platter products from other manufacturers than Seagate?

PS. Eugene - The "Single page" link is broken.

From the review:

"Overall, the MaXLine III snatches the single-user speed title from Hitachi's formidable Deskstar 7K400. Great performance, whisper-quiet operation, and high capacity make the MaXLine a compelling power user's drive. "

"[T]he MaXLine III (and related 250 GB and 300 GB DiamondMax 10s) is the premiere choice for those seeking a speedy, high-capacity solution."

From the LEADERBOARD:

"The latest Deskstar combines best-of-class performance, whisper-quiet operation, and a wide range of capacities in both parallel and serial flavors to make it the most compelling choice for those seeking an ATA drive"

Shouldn't the LEADERBOARD be updated to include the Maxtor in place of the Hitachi?

Thanks,

[Ch]amsalot