Sign in to follow this  
iks

Chkdsk.exe Generates Huge List Of Errors

Hello there...

Every second day I run chkdsk on my Western Digital 200GB Hard Drive (WDC WD2000JB-00EVA0) it generates enormous huge list or errors in stage 2 and 3.

The disk is new, it was sealed and opened some days ago. It is connected as secondary master as single drive on secondary IDE port.

I removed all the jumpers so it was recognized as secondary master.

Operating System is Windows 2003 Server/ISA 2000/Exchange 2003, with all possible updates.

Here's today's chkdsk log:

- Chkdsk Log (plain text, ~203kB)

- Chkdsk Log (ZIP, ~14kB)

Does anyone know what could be wrong? There are no bad sectors on the drive...

Thanks for everything,

-Andrej

The NTFS partition is corrupted run chkdsk /f and chkdsk will fix the errors, or if that doesnt work, try the seatools repair tool, however back up the drive before either of these options, (chkdsk works well,) but there is a signifigant risk of data loss.

Download and run diagnostic program from hdd manufacturer, ie. Data Lifeguard Diagnostics - DLGDIAG from Western digital. it will tell u if u need rma or software error.

Thanks for the answer...

Well I already run chkdsk... it deleted lots of my data (arround 100GBs).... but I dont care any more because I can get everything back...

The problem is that I can't trust a drive thats always corrupting my data and forcing me to run chkdsk which deletes almost everything...

Well chkdsk fixes the problem (it repairs some files and deletes others) but sooner or later the drive will produce some more errors or something and more data will be corrupt and deleted by chkdsk...

I dont understand why almost everything that I moved to that drive was corrupted.

It could be the drive... IDE cables... I dont know...

I ran Western Digital's Diagnostic Tools from their webpage and everything it says is that drive is doing perfectly fine. Quick and Full drive tests yelled: PASSED. Smart monitor is also all green. It is like everything is okay with the drive but it is corrupting my data.

When I download a big file to my system drive (some old 40gb IBM) the file is okay but when i copy it (or download) to that drive there is a really big chance (like 90%) that it will be corrupted.

Anyone know what could it be?

Thanks for everything again.

-Andrej

It could be the drive... IDE cables... I dont know...

Yeah try a new cable for starters, that's a good idea. It's definitely IDE then and not SATA? I've heard a few stories about various SATA implementations/drivers causing data corruption.

You could also try forcing the drive to a lower UDMA mode (say UDMA4 if it's currently UDMA5 or UDMA6) and see if that fixes it. If it does then at least you'd know it was an interface problem.

Hi...

Yes, it is ATA drive and I am not overclocing anything... It is P3 800EB MHz with 512 megs of ram, no CDROMs, no FDDs, ATI RAGE3D Graphics and 2 network cards.

I am just about to change cables and psu to ~400W, write zeroes to drive and test it again. Ill report my results then...

Thanks,

-Andrej

I have had the same problem sometime, on a Samsung sp1604n.

I have run disc checking utilities included the manufacturers enhanced one, and the disc testifying with most extensive tests. I have tried a new IDE cable. The problem always occurs in the form of a partial or complete file index corruption.

Last time that it happened in the 100GB partition was out for a month. I couldn't find any way of retrieving any of the data. It has happened about six times now. It always happens when my copy over large volumes of data. Usually it's just one folder with ex-amounted of gigabytes and subfolders. It's never really one file or another.

Check disc always garbled half the data, as if it was re-assimilated from a fragmented partition any data gets mixed in with audio or video or databases.

The NVIDIA nf7 might be partly responsible, I don't know. It's definitely something to do with the way the Samsung drive works. It's crap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've already tried a new IDE cable.

Badly typed by carpal tunnel syndrome doody

zplazm: Wow... I was telling to myself all the time: "The drive must be okay, the problem is somewhere else..." Maybe your drive is okay if manufacturers utilities are telling you so... Or maybe Samsung drives really are crap... But I had problems with IBM (producing bad sectors, DFT fixed it all for a week or two), Seagate Barracuda (Same chkdsk problems, problems in RAID0 array, ... changed them three times and then just returned them), WD (this problems now). Maybe it is me, not the drives. The drives are tested and certified before sent to customers. They have to work fine at first time or after you RMA them and get new ones.

Back to my problem:

I changed IDE cable, changed PSU to some 480Watt, and drive is working perfectly for now.

Maybe I just had some problems when data were copied to my drive. I copied all 100gigs via Network so it may be a network problem but I dont understand why I never had those problems with my IBM 40GB drive. So again it may be cable or PSU.

I hope it is not the problem having a big 200gb partition in one piece. Is it? Is it okay having Default Allocation Unit Size for mixed data (Music ~5 megs, Movies ~1GB)? What exactly is Default?

zplazm: Try different PSU if your is <300W or 350W... This is all I can say...

Thanks everybody, I hope my problem is solved :)

-Andrej

Interesting that it only seems to happen on large HDD's. I wonder if it could be related to a bios or OS problem with disks over 132MB (or whatever limit) ?