Sign in to follow this  
Davin

Western Digital Caviar WD800AB

VERY IMPRESSIVE for a 5400rpm drive. Or maybe a 6000rpm?

Its access time are only half a second higher than the average of the current generation 7200rpm drives. Its transfer rates are equals, its Drive Marks are in the same ball park than the Barracuda ATA4 and the Maxtor D740X. I didn't pay attention to it untill now so I don't know how it compares against 7.2K rpm drives of similar capacities, but I'm definitly going to check out.

The Western Digital WD800AB is actually faster in almost every benchmarks than the 7200rpm Samsung P40 reviewed not long ago. The only drawback is that it runs hotter than other 5400rpm drives. However, it is still cooler than most 7200rpm units. Noise isn't bad either, although the slightly faster Barracuda ATA4 is a little bit quieter according to your results. As for its limited capacity compared to WD's rivals' offerings, I don't really care because I've nver sold a drive packing more than 60GB.

With the WD800AB, using a 5400rpm drive as a boot drive is re-becoming an option, and not just for the cheapest systems.

Congratulations to Western Digital. They are really establishing themselves as the leading company of the IDE hard drives market.

Assuming the price of $150 is correct, it appears to be a bargain for a decent performing drive. The 80gb capacity wouldn't stop me from getting one considering the value.

Yea, it's true. There is an error in the graph. Nice catch Nik.

Yea, it's true.  There is an error in the graph.  Nice catch Nik.

Impressive review of an impressive drive... yet it seems the review came out a little in a hurry, the low throughput is also a little off, and the temperature is 17.6 milliseconds!

Yet it looks like an excellent bet, running at 6,000 rpm does help!

Yeti

What bothers me is WD's naming convention as mentioned in the review.If you buy a WD400AB how can you tell if it's 2X20GB or 1X40GB ?

It does not seem to be WD's but our problem i guess.

I wondered about the price in my previous post, now I have my answer. The WD800AB cost exactly the same thing as the WD800BB in my price list! Too bad :( I hope it will drop soon.

If it would cost ~15% less than comparable 7200rpm drives, it would be a bargain, but not at equal price.

The $150 price will come down when more vendors are selling it. There is only 1 vendor currently selling on pricewatch. You can easily find an 80gb Maxtor 5400RPM drive for a little over $100.

So hopefully Western Digital will price this drive in the same ballpark as the Maxtor offering...

-Tim

Impressive review of an impressive drive... yet it seems the review came out a little in a hurry
Ugh, one of the drawbacks of having a full-time job... can't get to the edits as quickly as I used to. Sorry for the confusion... hope I got them all.

Good drive indeed. The increased revolutions-per-minute help for it...

CompUSA is having a sale on these drives, $99 after $30 mail in rebate for the next week.

Jason