odeen

Product Alert: Ibm / Hitachi 7k250 Retail Package

I usually don't like making posts like this, but, at this point, I feel that I have to.

The short: If you have a Hitachi drive, especially a newer retail boxed drive, go to Hitachi Global Storage and check your warranty period. Then, if it doesn't match what you ordered, call 1.888.426.5214 and yell at the CSR - your warranty status will be upgraded within a week.

My story:

I bought a 7K250 retail boxed drive at Fry's Electronics in late March. I bought it on the strength of the Storagereview.com review, the performance, and the nice red sticker on the box that said "3 year warranty" in nice white letters. I was rather shocked to get home, punch the serial number into the warranty lookup box on the website and find out that the drive was covered for about 13 months only!

I called Hitachi and got the situation straightened out. This left a bad taste in my mouth, as I don't feel I should have to make a special call to get a feature exactly like what's promised to me on the box, but at least the situation was resolved. My only complaint is that the usual month "margin" between the purchase date and expiration date (My March 25th or so purchased drive was in warranty until 4-30-2005) was cut off, the new warranty was until 3/27/2007.

Yesterday, I bought another one of these drives, thinking that Hitachi and IBM usually DO have their act together, and that the experience above was just a little error. Well, fool me twice, shame on me. I get home and... I have a warranty until 6/30/2005.

Just got off the phone with Hitachi. The sanctimonious little prick basically informed me that the warranty goes by date of purchase (it doesn't, they assign warranty dates as (Warranty period + 1 or 2 months) from manufacture date, to give the drive time to get delivered and sit on the shelf prior to being bought), and that it'd be "updated"

Plus they reserve the right to ask me to fax in a proof of purchase. Umm... guys, that's what the serial numbers are for, so you can keep track of your stuff, as opposed to me.

Basically, they weren't willing to work with me in any way shape or form.. So don't expect an apology, a warranty boost, or a t-shirt even.

Please consider this a warning regarding Hitachi.. check the warranty period on your drives.

Also, where else could I submit this story to? As it stands, there's a Hitachi business presence in California, I'm in California, and, as a college student, I have a little bit more time than I have money - if I can invest an hour into sticking it to Hitachi, at this point, that's the only thing I can really do.

You generally report things of this nature to the better business bureau.

Not that anything will come of it.

Maybe report it to your local news station's consumer reporter?

I usually don't like making posts like this, but, at this point, I feel that I have to.

The short: If you have a Hitachi drive, especially a newer retail boxed drive, go to Hitachi Global Storage and check your warranty period.  Then, if it doesn't match what you ordered, call 1.888.426.5214 and yell at the CSR - your warranty status will be upgraded within a week.

My story:

I bought a 7K250 retail boxed drive at Fry's Electronics in late March.  I bought it on the strength of the Storagereview.com review, the performance, and the nice red sticker on the box that said "3 year warranty" in nice white letters.  I was rather shocked to get home, punch the serial number into the warranty lookup box on the website and find out that the drive was covered for about 13 months only!

I called Hitachi and got the situation straightened out.  This left a bad taste in my mouth, as I don't feel I should have to make a special call to get a feature exactly like what's promised to me on the box, but at least the situation was resolved.  My only complaint is that the usual month "margin" between the purchase date and expiration date (My March 25th or so purchased drive was in warranty until 4-30-2005) was cut off, the new warranty was until 3/27/2007.

Yesterday, I bought another one of these drives, thinking that Hitachi and IBM usually DO have their act together, and that the experience above was just a little error.  Well, fool me twice, shame on me.  I get home and...  I have a warranty until 6/30/2005. 

Just got off the phone with Hitachi.  The sanctimonious little prick basically informed me that the warranty goes by date of purchase (it doesn't, they assign warranty dates as (Warranty period + 1 or 2 months) from manufacture date, to give the drive time to  get delivered and sit on the shelf prior to being bought), and that it'd be "updated"

Plus they reserve the right to ask me to fax in a proof of purchase.  Umm...  guys, that's what the serial numbers are for, so you can keep track of your stuff, as opposed to me.

Basically, they weren't willing to work with me in any way shape or form..  So don't expect an apology, a warranty boost, or a t-shirt even. 

Please consider this a warning regarding Hitachi..  check the warranty period on your drives.

Also, where else could I submit this story to?  As it stands, there's a Hitachi business presence in California, I'm in California, and, as a college student, I have a little bit more time than I have money - if I can invest an hour into sticking it to Hitachi, at this point, that's the only thing I can really do.

Western Digital and Maxtor both pull these BS games - they avertise 3+ year warranty but you check it and it's 1 year and they WONT upgrade it nor can you return the product.

Only buy drives from a reliable source that WILL take them back if the warranty is bogus.

SG

Dont waste time with the better business bureau. If the company is not a member then they are powerless. If under some odd cicumstance the BBB puts bad info in the companies file, the company can then make a donation to have the info removed. Its a bunch of BS.

Dont waste time with the better business bureau.  If the company is not a member then they are powerless.  If under some odd cicumstance the BBB puts bad info in the companies file, the company can then make a donation to have the info removed.  Its a bunch of BS.

Well, at the very least, it'll cost Hitachi money. I could deal with that.

Happy to say, though, that a 74gb Raptor that I bought today is in warranty until 7/12/2009. Manufacture date was 4/23 - newest one on the shelf. A few were from end of December 2003. In other words, yay for Western Digital seethrough packaging.

I am proud of you. These hardware makers have too much power over us. My most favorite motherboard maker, only baught from them, really put me down. ASUS, I sent my board to RMA, and they me back the same exact board, with exact same problems, but all they did is change the serial sticker on the paralle port. How can I complain. I tried they keep on saying its a new board, but its not, I am sure, you even see the little scratches on the cpu socket from the fan.

well althoguh i am getting offtopic i as well have problems with asus

i recommended my friend to buy one from newegg and he gets sent two bad boards either asus doesnt care about there value boards or newegg is sending boards to people that are returns i wish i knew who was at fault some one needs to get in trouble and stop the nonsense.

for what it's worth there are several tohers who've reported the same 3 year stated with 1 year actual warranty from hitachi recently.

Call hitachi and they fix it... but it's been going on for several months...

Also, fwiw, IBM always took the recept over the coverage date on the website as official proof. The website is just a good way for them to track without having to actually communicate with the retailers (ala maxtor). I've even heard where they let you fudge a month in your favor on the coverage period.

As long as they acccept the advertised warranty, I don't see this as much of an issue. Either they goofed up on a batch or did this on purpose -- either way, you still get your 3-year warranty.

I'm off topic for a second also: ASUS has gone downhill in my opinion there last BIOS Update caused my system to freeze I up posted a topic to see if others were having the same problem; they were so I called ASUS informed them it took them a month to take it off there website they also claimed there wasn't a problem. I emailed them and gave it to them they never responded. <_<

I'm off topic for a second also: ASUS has gone downhill in my opinion there last BIOS Update caused my system to freeze I up posted a topic to see if others were having the same problem; they were so I called ASUS informed them it took them a month to take it off there website they also claimed there wasn't a problem. I emailed them and gave it to them they never responded. <_<

Offtopic: Indeed I am very disspointed with Asus. Well what can I say, all the companies that get a BIG name and good customer reviews, start to loose its quality over time and due to mass production, I guess. I dont there could be any difference between a ASUS board or ABIT or ECS. They pretty close to each other. But Asus I still want it, cuz I got used to them and stuff, but now they dissapointing me. You cant complain either. I think they changed their desginer team.

I think you alarmed everyone here without reason ...

In my country (and i suppose in yours too), manufacturer is not responsible for warranty terms toward end buyer. That is a responsibility of dealer or shop you bought it from. When you purchase something, it counts as legal agreement between two sides, you and shop you bought it from. So those 13 months are guarantee your dealer has from Hitachi, but you have your own 3 year guarantee from your dealer. It is normal in business, he (or someone else) stocked up with drives, haven't sold them fast enough, and now he has to pay the price for it ... :)

Unless things are different in your country, or your dealer goes out of business, I don't think you need to worry :)

MS

In the US, there are often dealer warranties (also called return policies). They vary widley, but most places will exchange a defective product within 30 days. Full refunds are sometimes hard to come buy with comptuer equipment.

In addition to this dealer warranty, the manufacturer of a product often offers a warranty against defects in their products. This is to make their product more competitive compared to another manufacturer's product. For HDDs it's common that the manufacturer have a 1-3 year warranty on IDE drives. SCSI is 5 year standard. For refurbished drives of either type there is often no(or very breif) manufacturer warranty.

There is no use in yelling. I dont blame hitachi for this mistake.. would you like hitachi to change their warranty to 1 year for all hdd?

this is an old issue with hitachi. They screw up the database somehow.

There is no need to yell @ CS @ hitachi. or Frys. Those CS poor slob do not have the authority to do anything except listening to your yell and keep quiet.

I got mine fixed via email. 1st time they said they fixed it. but the website still showing the warrnty for 1year. so I sent an reply again then they said their database needs a few days to reflect the changes. well needless to say i got my 3 years warranty in record a few days later.

hitachi CS email response has been very courtesy and fast. Excellent CS i must say. I will buy hitachi hdd again.

a side note. I am getting used to the CAT meow noise hitachi signature. and I really like my 7k250 now.. and its squeaking fast!

I really suggest ppl to send email to hitachi instead of to do this over the phone.

besides hitachi isnt going to run away or anthing. they will honor the warranty as stated. there is no hurry to this. you got 3 years ahead of you.

MiToZ

That is a responsibility of dealer or shop you bought it from.

And what do you do if delaer goes out of business like you said. Or if dealer gives you one year warranty when manufacturer gives you 3? Anyway, it's not so simple...

stuppid

they said their database needs a few days to reflect the changes

What kind of database is that..??? :o Well, I think it goes to show how bad Hitachi's DBAs are... :rolleyes: