Sign in to follow this  
davidedney123

LS120 Drives

Hi

I picked one of these up for £5, because I rememer hearing (when they were first launched) that they could read and write standard floppies at 2x - 3x - I have no intention of paying £8 for a 120MB disc for the damned thing! Now I've gotten it home and tried it out I could swear that it's absolutely no faster than a standard drive at reading or writing 1.44MB floppies. I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience of these drives, and if they did then did they find them to be any faster with standard 1.44MB floppies? I don't use them often, but the chance to make the times that I am forced to a little less slow and painful seemed worth £5...

Dave

I played around with one a few years ago and if it was any faster than a standard drive, I didn't notice.

I think I remeber hearing or reading about a new superfloppy drive that along with its own 200MB disks it can format a standard floppy to about 20MB or so. I haven't been able to find anything with a cursory Google search, so it may just be my imagination.

I have one but don't use it much though. I don't think it reads and writes to the usual floppies faster than ususal drives. It should work faster with 120Mb disks.

We've around 300 sites where we use LS120 drives as primary offline backup. Failure rate has been around 15 a year but that will accelerate this year to around 40 replacements. They are far faster at writing to an LS120 disk than a standard 1.44mb disk but also faster than a floppy drive with legacy media. I have never benchmarked it but you can copy a 20MB file in under 3 minutes.... They are also quieter in operation. And if you disable the 1.44 floppy in the bios you can also use them as a standard A: drive.

With my limited use of one I found it was noticeably faster than a regular floppy, but when writing to floppies or LS120 disks it made the computer lag quite a bit - like a regular floppy.

This was before I heard of any performance benefit they were/are supposed to offer so I doubt it was my imagination.

I would buy one at the same price as a floppy drive since they're probably more reliable (I passed a bad stage last year I had replaced my floppy 4 times - they just kept dying without reason, being used once or maybe twice. Put in a floppy from an old Pentium 60 and its been working fine since...)

I think I remeber hearing or reading about a new superfloppy drive that along with its own 200MB disks it can format a standard floppy to about 20MB or so.

The new LS-240 drives, which can read the 120 MB and new 240 MB media, can also format standard 1.44 MB floppies to a capacity of 32 MB using what is called FD32MB technology. The floppy is formatted with 777 tracks instead of the usual 80, and 36 to 53 sectors per track instead of usual 18. Unfortunately, the new drives are still rather pricey. I would consider replacing my floppy drive with one if they were $25 or so, but not at over $100.