Sign in to follow this  
LED ZEPPELIN

Silence Your Hd For 5cents

I would worry about a visible degradation in performance. Drives are "meant" to operate in a fixed environement, and settling time (the time it takes for the head to lock on a given track) can -and often does- increase dramatically if the drive is not properly clamped

... my 2 cents

Yéti

All I can say is "DONT!" ...

Elastic bands do not last very long... They deterate. they loose thier elasticity over time... Meaning the elastic band would eventually break and drop your hard drive.... No bid deal if your computers off, but it will most likely occure while the computer is running. (the vibrations would cause the elastic band to fail once its near the breaking point)

I also think it would be bad to move the system at all while it is on. I sometimes move my tower when I need to move it. With that the hard drive would sway and cause shock. Being screwed into the metal cage seems more secure. I wasn't gonna try this. Just seeing if anyone tried this. :)

This is nothing new, and there are even retail products that do exactly this. There is no risk. Suspending the drive is definately a good thing, as long as it's secure.

Drives are "meant" to operate in a fixed environement, and settling time (the time it takes for the head to lock on a given track) can -and often does- increase dramatically if the drive is not properly clamped

I don't agree with that at all. If that were the case, then laptop manufactures wouldn't be suspending their HD's in gel to protect them against shock. Plus, Antec wouldn't be equiping their cases with rubber gromets to "suspend" the drives.

I don't think I'd trust a couple of cheap elastics, but the theory is sound.

Check out the following:

http://www.sunbeamtech.com/new/products/co...%20silencer.htm

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view.asp?idx=49&code=019

(not elastics or rubber bands, but the drive is isolated using rubber bumpers)

Umm, doesn't the fact that the drive is now NOT screwed into the case whatsoever mean that the drive is not properly grounded?

If you look closely at the Zalman product you'll notice that it has a grounding wire that runs from the drive to the case.

Umm, doesn't the fact that the drive is now NOT screwed into the case whatsoever mean that the drive is not properly grounded?

This is a very interesting point - does anyone with any electronics knowledge or hard drive knowledge have anything to say about this?

I'm personally using one of those German racks - no noise or no vibes III or something on my raptor - it works REALLY well.

perhaps they need a grounding strap.

makes me wish more minitower cases had no 3.5" slots at all and more 5.25" :)

HDD conencts to molex connector which offers 2 ground wires which connects to PSU which connects to case and grounded electrical outlet.

There are also grounds in the data cable which goto the mobo to the PSU.. etc...

This is nothing new, and there are even retail products that do exactly this.  There is no risk.  Suspending the drive is definately a good thing, as long as it's secure.

Suspending them is nothing new, but suspending them with rubber bands is certainly a bad idea. The rubber used in Novibes is a lot more durable.

Suspension is not new - Lot of discussion can be found in Here - However I do not prefer suspension because It is prone to movement for which the HDD may not be designed! - Many may disagree! For suspension of my HDD I use EARS grommet.

To start with pick a silent HDD like samsung SP1614C sata drives and use appropriate grommet! This works for me :D I cannot hear my HDD at 2 feet!