Sign in to follow this  
Hip2u77

? About Hd Noise And Live Recording

Hi, I'm building a couple of identical new systems for audio recording for me and my buddy who landed jobs suppling morning show radio stations with audio bits.

The company wants us to have identical systems so we can use the other persons if one crashes.

I'll be recording 3 tv streams at once into a M-audio 1010lt with each stream being sent to a seperate track using Adobe Audition. I shouldn't have to record anymore then 3 hours. I want to capture at CD quality so, first I need to know how much space that will require so I can pick out drive sizes, and second (the reason I'm asking here) my friend is doing live studio recording, comedy bits, parody songs, etc. So I need HD's that are quiet.

The systems their going in will be a P4c 2.8, 1gb ram on a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP MB inside a Antec Sonata case.

What do you think would be the best bet for us? I like the speed of the Hitachi's but worry the "meow" will be too loud and come thru his mic. He's using a EV Re20 studio mic like a lot of radio stations use. (he's been in radio for 15 years.)

If for some reason you wanna hear what he's doing the link belows is to one of his mp3's for a pretty funny bit.

Comedy song about how the word's gone gay. :o

Thanks for any help.

Shawn

yeah, I'd go for Samsung with 8MB cache.

3 streams x 3 hours = 9 hours, at CD quality that's about 9 * 650MB. To be on the safe side you'd want to allocate atleast 9GB on your capture drive for recording.

Sounds like you're making a nice setup. If you want to do it right, you should put the computer case in a seperate room and not worry about noise. (If the room layout allows it). You can get keyboard/monitor/mouse extentions and mount the 1010 through/in the wall.

Ive built a few computers for profesional audio production. You're on the right track.

Ive used the antec AMG1080 case. http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_en...hp?ProdID=91082 with a couple of hard drives... 80 GB for boot, 120 GB for data storage, and a removable 80GB for data transport. (so he could plug the drive into another comptuer, and back and forth with it.) a Yamaha F1 cd/rw drive, and a LG dvd r/w drive to make recordings, and do data back up... (all the drives where samsung).

CD-quality audio (44.1Khz/16-bit/stereo) requires almost exactly 10MB per minute of signal. So, for three hours of three simultaneous recordings, you'll need 3 * 3 * 60 * 10 = 5.4 GB.

An 80GB hard drive should more than do the trick. Modern drives are more than fast enough for multi-track live audio capture. I was doing four-track recordings seven years ago on my 1.6GB IBM drive. As long as Windows doesn't brain-fart during the recording, you'll be fine with any drive you choose. If you're worried about Windows' unpredictable brain farts, get two separate drives -- one for O/S, the other for audio capture.

Since performance is a non-issue, I'd go with the quietest drive(s) available. At the moment, the most promising contender seems to be the Samsung SP80. Extremely quiet, near-the-top performance, best-in-class warranty, and promising reliability.