Dollar

Quiet Scsi Drive?

I’ve got a Cheetah 10K6 and now for this workstation and want to swap it for a more quiet 74GB. Performance (10/15K) isn’t really important but noise is. It will be mounted in a no-vibes cage (rubber) so vibration isn’t a killer but it must be quiet while ilde (no high pitch noise) preferably also while under load but that’s secondary.

Reviews don’t quite spell it out unfortunately. Which drive is the most quiet?

The 15K.3 is apparently incredibly quiet for a 15K drive.

The Maxtor Atlas 10K IV appears to be the quietest 10K SCSI drive. The MAP is quieter, if you purchase the 147GB version (this version uses a FDB motor). The lower-capacity versions are likely to sound different because they use ball bearings.

The WD740GD idle noise has been described by both Eugene and owners on this board as very quiet and competitive with quiet 7200RPM drives. The seek noise is louder (it does have a genuine 10K-class actuator afterall). Seek noise has been described as quieter than the MAP or the 10K IV. If you're very concerned about noise, and don't have a problem with using an SATA drive, this disk is probably your best bet. It's also a little bit faster than the 15K.3 in the desktop disciplines. If you aren't performing a lot of Random IO (unlikely unless it's a database server or something similar) the WD740GD's optimized firmware allows it to deal more efficiently with localized accesses (the type of accesses single-user applications generate). This is why it can beat 15K drives. A nice plus is that you also get a lot more capacity for the price.

There you go... I hope you find what you need.

Considering Western Digital's poor quality control record and the reliability (or lack thereof) of the Raptor, I would not suggest it for anything even vaguely important.

I would suggest the 15k.3 as well. The Atlas 15k is a little noisier and hotter for a little gain in performance, if that fits you.

I've looked at the Atlas IV but I'll hold of for the Atlas V before I make up my min most likely. Hopefully Seagate or Fujitsu will be along with their next gen drives before I purchase anything.

My main concern with a Raptor is just that it isn't SCSI, I like the SCSI-feel (for lack of a better word) and I'm not sure if the Raptor is a real substitute. But I agree the performance, atleast in benchmarks for the 74GB piece is impressive.

Anyone here swapped SCSI for Raptor that would like to comment?

Anyone here swapped SCSI for Raptor that would like to comment?

A couple people have. From what I can recall they commented positively on the Raptor. The problem with a search is that "+SCSI +Raptor" will probably turn up just about every thread at SR :). I vaguely recall that qawsedrftgzxcvb (a member here) switched 15K.3s for Raptors and mentioned that the Raptors were just as fast. Searching for his name might narrow the results down a little.

I vaguely recall that qawsedrftgzxcvb (a member here) switched 15K.3s for Raptors and mentioned that the Raptors were just as fast.

For workstation tasks they seemed pretty much the same. If it came down between the 15k.3s and the Raptor, I'd go with the 15k.3 no questions. The Raptor is a decent desktop drive (even faster than my 15k.3 in some cases) but when random I/O or server tasks come up, forget it. The SCSI Cheetah runs like the wind :).

Also the 15k.3 'feels' faster. However remember the drive costs like 2 times as much. For a normal user I'd recommend the Raptor unless you can afford a 15k.3 or if you want your drive safe from some electrical surges (note: I didn't say data).

It might be worth waiting for the new FDB equipped 10k SCSI drives to become available (or maybe they are already?), given no current 10k model is really extremely quiet. The 73 gig 15K.3 seems to be overproportionally more noisy than its smaller fellows, measured at 1.9 or 2.0 sone idle (beta vs. retail) by c't mag (<1 sone would be pretty quiet, 36 gig Cheetah 36ES is @1.1 sone) and rated at 3.5 bels vs. 3.2 and 3.1 bels for the 36 and 18 gig models, respectively. So generally go with a drive with as little platters as possible to achieve low noise levels. These seem to be possible with two 3" platters in 10k drives (see the 74 gig Raptor), so the new FDB equipped 73 and 146 gig 73 gig/platter drives should be rather quiet.

On a side note, the second 18 gig 36ES I received recently seems to be noticeably louder in idle (whine) than the first one, which is unfortunate. I guess I'll use it to quieten my old "noize box" presently running a first gen Barracuda ATA and old Medalist 8420 for a hardly bearable noise level (when compared to my rather silent dual box, that is - you do get more sensitive!).

I think 10k drives already have FDB.

Which ones? The only current model I know is the 146 gig Fujitsu MAP, all the others use ball bearings (unfortunately).

Anyone got a date for Seagates or Maxtors next gen (FDB) 10K SCSI drives? The 74GB 15K.3 is about $800 here (norway)... which really is quite steep <_<

I would also like to know if anyone has heard any rumors on when seagate will launch their next gen. cheetahs. I am considering purchasing a pair of 15x3s but it has been two years since they were launched, and I don't want to buy current gen and have new ones launch in a couple of months.

Any news about pci-express scsi raid adaptors either?

gsb