Intel's pushing for BTX because of its heat issues, but AMD isn't so bothered (Athlon 64s run quite cool compared to Prescotts). We may see BTX boards appear (and become common) for Intel chips months before AMD boards... or we may not. It's up to the motherboard manufacturers.

BTX was supposed to arrive with Socket 775, but I've heard little about motherboards, nothing about cases (apart from concept models at trade shows) and very little on the PSU front. BTX can take ATX form factor PSUs, but uses an EPS 12V style connector - so existing models will work, but ideally new models that don't need bulky adapters would be better. The only PSU range that currently supports the full BTX spec (that I know of) is Tagan's.

I predict that the transition to socket 775 will be mainly ATX based, and that a chicken and egg situation with lack of BTX cases and motherboards will mean BTX takes a long time to gain a decent choice of components.

It seems a shame to get an ATX case when BTX is "just round the corner", but in practice, it'll be a long while before there's anything approaching the variety of BTX cases that we have with ATX cases now. Who knows, perhaps the first BTX case will be a winner, and everyone will want one. More likely, we'll be waiting months for the case design we like to get converted for BTX.

I thought about describing the main differences, but Chewy509's link describes it very well. Check it out.

Iam thinking, that BTX maybe dead... I dont think chassis vendors care for it much. I dont think motherboard vendors care for it much. VARs dont like it much... If AMD stays with ATX (they have no reason to change) that would mean everyone would have to keep 2 seperate cases & power supplies on hand...

That would add costs in the inventory, in an industry that lives on an thin profit margin, any move that adds overhead to the retailer wont be popular...

Intel can get people to accept BTX if they have the will to push. Until Tejas et al were cancelled, Intel had to push BTX to ensure that they could be cooled. Now that the next P4 will be a Pentium-M derivative, I have to wonder if Intel cares nearly as much.

I would have thought that a lot of the rest of the industry (but not all) would welcome the opportunity to make people buy more stuff to upgrade to BTX. I could be wrong.

Yes, and no. If its stuff they've already designed and are tooled to build, then YES... If its stuff they havent designed, arent building, then they're extraordinarily carefull... This is why there is very little variation in computer chassis, from vendor to vendor... Heck until recently, getting anything of a different colour was a challange.

Heck until recently, getting anything of a different colour was a challange.

the good ol' (modified) Model T approach: you can have beige, beige or beige.

Heck until recently, getting anything of a different colour was a challange.

the good ol' (modified) Model T approach: you can have beige, beige or beige.

We get our cases in 3 colours (black, silver and blue) a random assortment of colours... for ATX and micro-atx... EATX is only black, (but we only have 1 on hand)... But if this where to be ATX/BTX, this would double the number of case styles that we'd have to have on hand... And thus dramaticly increase the inventory costs.

Even with a cool Dothan/A64 based CPU BTX would still be better from a thermal point of view, it's simpler to cool and a case can never be to cool or too quiet - in my opinion.

What I see as the big advantage coming up for BTX is the better cooling of graphics chips. (The new case design has the major airflow in a single line cooling both processor and graphics chip.) With the new nVidia chips coming in with almost the same heat dissipation requirements as the already hot-running Prescott processors, anything to ease airflow over the graphics card is a good thing.

I like the idea of less fans replaced by a single big one (80 or 92 mm). I simple cannot stand the noise many graphic card fans make.