Sign in to follow this  
coco

Your Worst Drive Failure?

One night, while trying to get a tape backup working on a new server, I lost one of four stacked 15K seagate's due to a fan failure on a supermicro drive cage. It was a Raid 0+1 array. With the cover on there'd have been enough air suction from the other fans to keep the drives cool enough to avoid failure. The drive was terribly hot, too hot to hold. This happened 10% into a backup image I was creating. I only realized after the LSI raid controller started yelling at me.. like this AAAAANT AAAANT AAANT! You idiot, you just ruined that fine hard drive AAAANT AAANT AAAANT! You don't even have a working backup, AAAANT AAAANT ANNNNNT!! And you don't have a spare hard drive either HAHA! AAANT AAANT AAAAAANNNNNT! It's 11 PM Friday night, just where do you think (AAAANT) you'll find a replacement on Saturday, (AANNNT) at Best Buy?? haha! AAAANT AAAANT ANNNNT! Your wife is due to call in 5 minutes (for the millionth time), will you tell her, "oh just another 10 mins, dear"!???? HAHA! HAHA! AAANNNNT ANNNNT ANNNT! Imagine the look on everybody's faces when you have to explain, "hey guys, i just lost everything!" AAANT ANNNT ANNNNT! MAN, that's a lot of sweat on your face, pal! AAAANTTT AAANT ANNNT!

I ended up putting a piece of tape over the buzzer and called it a night. I did manage to create an image of the drive before I left. On monday we replaced it and away she went. Whew.

tiny office running on a system with 2 9gb scsi disks. they never deleted or wanted to archive their mail, so i picked up 2 45gb ibm 75gxps to house the exchange database...

moved it over, everything was working fine for a couple months. then my phone rang. the server had locked up. i had them reboot it, tunneled in and saw in terminal services that a disk had failed. bummer (this was before the 75gxp had its awful rep). the info still fit on the 9gb disks, just not comfortably, but i didn't want to run unmirrored until the replacement arrived.

so i pulled up that night and began moving the exchange db back over to the 9gb mirror AND THE OTHER 75GXP DIED HALFWAY THROUGH THE TRANSFER. i had to go back over a week to get a reliable backup tape because they had been reusing the same ones apparently forever. good times.

My worst drive failure was yesterday, my secondary drive, the WD400BB where I keep all my important data used to work great, I checked the SMART status some days ago (I do this very often just in case) and the it was in great shape, no problems at all, until yesterday, it suddenly died without giving me the chance to save anything...

I turned off the computer, but a friend just changed his cell phone number and emailed it to me and I forgot to write it down, so a couple of minutes later I turned on the computer to check the number, and the system was freezed at "detecting IDE devices", and next to that, a very loud and strange sound came from one of the drives, my thought was "please god, keep my WD400BB alive, take the other one with no important data and still on warranty", but no... The WD400BB and my unbacked up data are dead... :(

This is the sound, I recorded it: http://cablemodem.fibertel.com.ar/fedemart/discomuerto.mp3

I'm sad, I want my precious data!!!!!!! :(

Sorry if my english is a little bad... :)

A WD 160 GB less than a year old went bad on me. It took maybe 65% of my travel JPEGs, 5 megapixel stuff which is irreplaceable. I am never gonna be back at those places in Japan, much less at that time to get those shots. Stuff like snow bound scenery, autumn leaves, cherry blossom shots. Pisses me off.

Now I copy everything to CD in case this happens again.

I lost a 346mb WD drive from a 486 right after I had pulled all the data off of it (10+ years of finincal data and contact information for a business) and move'd it to a 10gig drive on a P3 550E, that was the closest I've come to catastrophic failure / data loss.

How about a bright flash with accompanying sparks?

(wish I was kidding...)

Hehe

I set a hard drive on fire by mistake by connecting the power connector wrong. :D

Resulted in LOTS of smoke and bad smell.

Two years ago my main hdd (Quantum fireball LM20) failed at 3AM 2 days before going on vacation... I was lucky enough that 2 months before that I decided to buy another hdd and it had been my 'data' disk since.... so the failure only destroyed my boot partition and some data for which I had backup... but it left me with just 2 days to buy another hdd and reinstall the system so that I could start my vacations in a 'peaceful' state of mind... if you know what I mean.

That failure was completely unexpected.. none - 0 signs of potential problems before, and no abuse at all... it just at one point complained that the disk was in error... and after rebooting, not even recognized.

Ah, and I keep better and more updated backups since!

Regards

FTC

How about a bright flash with accompanying sparks?

(wish I was kidding...)

Hehe

I set a hard drive on fire by mistake by connecting the power connector wrong. :D

Resulted in LOTS of smoke and bad smell.

Mine was caused by a lose power connection. (well, actually, the connector was fully on, just lose wires inside...)

I rem one time I was having intermittent problems with a HD, turned everything off so I could remove the drive, and when I touched the molex conn, it just fell off inside the case... Was barely on... and lose enough that it wasn't always supplying the drive with power...

My worst drive failure was when I took my old hard drive that had old data on it that I didn't want anyone getting their hands on so I had some fun with it with a sledge hammer and a hack saw ^_^

Once I had a SCSI raid set that was mirrored in pairs like this:

0,1:2,3:4,5:6,7

Each pair was a RAID 1. The data was my company's entire collected research, for which there existed no current backup. Well anyway, disk 0 failed so I pulled it. Lo and behold the next day the host, which had been running for at least a year, needed a reboot. So I rebooted it. Unfortunately the RAID driver decided it needed to resync the arrays. It was performing the resync thusly:

1 -> 2 : 3 -> 4 : 5 -> 6

I wouldn't have noticed except there was no activity on device 7. Luckily I still had a good copy of each mirror, on devices 1, 3, 5, and 7. Needless to say I cut the power in a panic once I got finished scratching my head. Then I unmounted the four good devices, set the hardware read-only jumper, and mirrored them on my administrative desktop.

Definitely a heart-attack moment.