Ron_Jeremy

Any 9700 Pro Owners Out There?

I've never really owned an ATI card in my "main" personal workstation, & have always used Nvidia based cards (current unit is a Ti4200). Anyway, a friend of mine is selling his 9700 Pro & offered it to me for a good price, although I must admit I am having deep reservations about buying it due to ATI's history with poor drivers.

Anyway, I have a few questions regarding the 9700 Pro:

• Are there any known issues with Far Cry, Half-Life & it's respective mods?
  • Will Half-Life 2 be "playable"?

Speaking from someone who has also been NVIDIA since the TNT2 days - 5 months ago I grabbed a Radeon 9600XT. I have thrown a silly amount of games at it with out a single glitch or incompatibility. I have heard that there is an issue with Dark Age of Camelot (Hiya E ;p) but I put lots of farcry and half life through it. It's a pretty quick card, and have been very pleased with it - whether it has the pump for the new stuff coming out I dont know, but I have seen 9800Pro's online for $205.

I have a 9700 PRO in my workstation. It works great. Plays all the games very well... No problems...

The only thing you have to worry about is AGP compatibility. The card will not work in AGP 8x. (crashes as soon as you enter a 3d mode)... So you have to be able to turn your motherboard down to agp 4x for the card to work. IF your bios doesnt have this option, skip this card.

The only issue I have with my 9700 Pro is in 1600x1200 resolution on games some pixels randomly turn to white.

I've never heard of anyone else with this problem and haven't been able to track it down.

I first noticed it in Dark Age of Camelot and later noticed it with the UT2004 demo.

I guess the best way I can describe it is it's like having snow flurries on my screen only instead of falling they just disappear after a few seconds and reappear somewhere else.

I have a 9700 PRO in my workstation. It works great. Plays all the games very well... No problems...

The only thing you have to worry about is AGP compatibility. The card will not work in AGP 8x. (crashes as soon as you enter a 3d mode)... So you have to be able to turn your motherboard down to agp 4x for the card to work. IF your bios doesnt have this option, skip this card.

I am running an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard with my 9700 Pro and I am running in 8x AGP mode with no problems at all. I play a ton of games including DAoC (Guine and Bors for those who play) with no problems.

My roommate is also running a 9700 Pro on DFI Lanboy II in 8x AGP mode with no problems.

9800pro is my first ati card i've intentionally bought for a desktop literally EVER. way back i got hercules, then diamond, then moved to nvidia and never looked back. i moved from a ti4200 to a 9800pro and i absolutely love it. they're like $200 now.

there's a known issue in the via kt400 chipset that prevents ati radeon cards from running at 8x and using agp fastwrite. i've been suffering from the same problem for quite some time but then just went with an nforce2 ultra chipset motherboard and i no longer have any issues running my 9700pro in 8x agp mode.

as a side note, there's pretty much no difference performance wise between running that card 8x and 4x.

there's a known issue in the via kt400 chipset that prevents ati radeon cards from running at 8x and using agp fastwrite. i've been suffering from the same problem for quite some time but then just went with an nforce2 ultra chipset motherboard and i no longer have any issues running my 9700pro in 8x agp mode.

as a side note, there's pretty much no difference performance wise between running that card 8x and 4x.

I have the same issue with an Intel e7205 chipset. Its not the chipset its the card. ATI has already disco'd the card.

I think the Nvidia cards are the ones with the bad driver rap now? Anyway I like my 9700Pro 128mb. Far Cry looks fantastic and very playable. I run dual monitor desktop off the thing with both monitors at 1600x1200. Really nice card and definately worth the buy.

Just read some of the other responses: I am running 8x with no problems on an Intel D875PBZ and a 3.0 P4. I have yet to encounter a game that sucks on this card. Well, Halo, but that's not a hardware fault.

I have the same issue with an Intel e7205 chipset. Its not the chipset its the card. ATI has already disco'd the card.

No, it's the E7205 chipset. The AGP Prefetch cache must be disabled on this chipset as stated in Intel's errata (ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/e7205/specupdt/25193802.pdf). This is independent of any particular card.

I'll try that. Its been running great in agp 4x, so its not a big issue... But its worth a try.

IIRC, they disco'd the 9700 becuase it was expensive to manufacture.

I went from 3dFX to nVidia, this year I switched to a 9600Pro to test the drivers (my first ATI card). I now use a 9800XT and am very pleased.

Please. The 9700 Pro works fine at 8x; stop using shitty motherboards.

The 9700 Pro can handle any game out right now. I'm using it with an Athlon64 3200+ and I can play everything at 1024x768 and better with plenty of nice graphical checkboxes enabled. It's a great card and will play Halo 2 just fine; there was a preview at anandtech that showed that.

btw, the whole bad ATI drivers was last millenium; time to get with it :rolleyes:

You can reduce the AGP to 4X in the ATI Utility if you have to. :D

No, it's the E7205 chipset. The AGP Prefetch cache must be disabled on this chipset as stated in Intel's errata (ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/e7205/specupdt/25193802.pdf). This is independent of any particular card.

I looked, the bios doesnt offer this feature (to enable or disable) not that it matters. AGP 4x is fine.

I looked, the bios doesnt offer this feature (to enable or disable) not that it matters. AGP 4x is fine.

Fastwrite is what ATI call prefetch. You can find it in the display's control panel.

The only issue I have with my 9700 Pro is in 1600x1200 resolution on games some pixels randomly turn to white

had that happen once with my 9800 in windoze, and the monitor might get a 'wierd line or two' very rarely when windoze start us... but is fine after a i turn off/on my monitor

linux drivers never gave me issues

anhoo get a good mobo above all else

the tyan 2469UNG has been good to to so far

The only issue I have with my 9700 Pro is in 1600x1200 resolution on games some pixels randomly turn to white

had that happen once with my 9800 in windoze, and the monitor might get a 'wierd line or two' very rarely when windoze start us... but is fine after a i turn off/on my monitor

linux drivers never gave me issues

anhoo get a good mobo above all else

the tyan 2469UNG has been good to to so far

It does the same thing on both my Dell and on my Intel MB.

I really doubt this has anything to do with the quality of my motherboard.

There should be two DVI troubleshooting options in the ATI Control Panel. One says something like "reduce DVI freq in high resolutions", have you tried that? (I forgot what the other is 'cuz my 9000 does not offer it. ;) )

It does the same thing on both my Dell and on my Intel MB.

I really doubt this has anything to do with the quality of my motherboard.

i usually recommend a good mobo above all else anyway

a vid card i can replace

a mobo takes more time and is more important to a system