tolyngee

Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra

Still a few steps away from the Voodoo4 which required its own external power supply, but that does seem pretty rediculous.

Still a few steps away from the Voodoo4 which required its own external power supply, but that does seem pretty rediculous.

Anandtech showed it coming close to doubling the framerates of the 9800XT - -that's rediculous....

What's the point of using 2 molex connectors? You know 90% of the users will plug them both into the same bus anyway :rolleyes:

Anandtech showed it coming close to doubling the framerates of the 9800XT - -that's rediculous....

OK so 60% faster is kinda close to doubling - still a hell of an increase - and hopefully this will start to drive the prices down on the 9800 series stuff.

What's the point of using 2 molex connectors? You know 90% of the users will plug them both into the same bus anyway  :rolleyes:

And without a doubt, they would pick the bus thats driving the 12 daisy chained 80mm fans.

What's the point of using 2 molex connectors? You know 90% of the users will plug them both into the same bus anyway  :rolleyes:

They need more power than you can draw from one. They explicitly say they need a 480Watt power supply.

I just like the fact every slower card will get cheaper.

holy crap!

even if i add a 2nd psu it won't help

my radeon9800 runs a 55 degrees

at 60 degress my mobo shuts down

i know that card will go above 60

guess no NVIDIA for me this round unless they do someting about it

It's true that they explicitly recommend using a 480W power supply, but none of the reviews I read actually used one with that much power output. And none of those sites had power problems either. Furthermore, despite the rumors of 150W power dissipation, the card only uses about 15-20 more watts than the previous top-level Nvidia card, and when it is in 2d mode, it actually uses up less power than the 9800XT.

On top of all that, there seems to be plenty of room for overclocking, since some of the memory used is actually underclocked 600mhz chips.

All in all, I'd say this is a pretty impressive outing from Nvidia, but I do expect R420 to match NV40 most of the time. We'll have to wait at least a couple weeks to find out for sure. I've heard April 26th as a possible launch date for R420, but that's still just a rumor AFAIK.

holy crap!

even if i add a 2nd psu it won't help

my radeon9800 runs a 55 degrees

at 60 degress my mobo shuts down

i know that card will go above 60

guess no NVIDIA for me this round unless they do someting about it

I've heard that ATI will be recommending about the same.

Reportedly, this card doesn't even reduce it's speed until it hits 120C :blink: , according to the nVidia temperature settings. I guess they figure that once the heatsink begins to slither off of the card, it is probably time to reduce the temperature.

Fortunately, I've never seen it about 56C.

Its just what FX was meant to be played ;)

Not much improvement over what ATI had for quite a while, just with added beastic feelings.

The intended audience is game development teams and people with more money than sense.

People seem to buy from whoever has the fastest card out. The fastest card out is bragging writes and a developerment platform for game devs.

My Ti4200 is still doing well enough currently.

Would an AGP Pro or PCI Express version of this card still need extra power connectors? I'll be disappointed if graphics card power requirements are already exceeding what PCI-E provides before PCI-E is even out yet. As for requiring molex connectors off two different chains, that could be a right pain for cable routing.

Will we need a PCI-E x16 Pro slot to feed these enthusiast level graphics cards? Or do we just have to wait for the next process shrink to bring power consumption down a bit?

The interesting part will be how scaled-down NV40 variants perform. It sure would be nice to see a card with passive cooling that's noticeably faster than a Radeon 9600. I hope Nvidia finally got rid of their DVI output quality issues (the FX built-in DVI out pretty much sucks).

It sure would be nice to see a card with passive cooling that's noticeably faster than a Radeon 9600.

There is - the Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Ultimate Edition. It runs hot without the optional fan, and it needs a fairly well ventilated case, but the card is passive. The 9800 XT 'requires' the optional fan, according to Sapphire (or Zalman, I forget who specified that).

Still, if by 'noticeably' faster, you mean more than twice as fast, then yes, I guess the GeForce 6600 should fit the bill nicely.

Hm... I just noticed the the Neverwinter benchmarks. The 6800 isn't faster than much faster then a 5950. I think I'll skip this generation.

Besides I don't want to build a dyson sphere to run the darn card.

Of course the 6800 isn't much faster in NWN. That game is completely CPU limited even at 1600*1200 with 4x AA and 8x AF. In fact, the CPU is the bottleneck with nearly every current game at lower resolution, AA, and AF settings, aside from shader-heavy games like Far Cry.

qawsedrftgzxcvb, what kind of CPU and graphics card do you have right now?

Will we need a PCI-E x16 Pro slot to feed these enthusiast level graphics cards?

The signal run length for PCI Express supports 5 metres or so. Within a short space of time we will see external PCI Express connectors. Think outside the box!

Personally I await the externalization of graphics rendering with interest. This latest card uses 3 slots for installation, cooling, and room to breathe, and requires 2 molex connectors for extra power. That's getting ridiculous.

PCI Express will enable external "GPU Boxes" containing tricked-out gfx cards with their own cooling and power, separate from the CPU box. You will even be able to chain multiple gfx cards for alternate scanline (or fancier) distributed processing. Reminds me of the old Voodoo cards.