Sign in to follow this  
Jerry Sanders

Barracuda ATA IV problem?

I have a 40GB Seagate Barracuda ATA IV, working just fine (or so I thought). Today I downloaded an utility called DTemp, which shows drive temperature along with various SMART parameters. And I was shocked to see that the value for "Raw read error rate" is 73.... Is my drive about to die? Can you please tell me if this utility is reliable, and is giving proper results on Barracudas? Thanks, i'm relying on your feedback.

BTW, here is the link: http://www.private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

Russian freeware proggies... hmm...

Nope... your drive is OK...

[Case Closed] :P

Hey now, nothing wrong with Russians...

Now freeware apps? Nothing really wrong with them, but I wouldn't count on them for this sort of thing...

Jason

If you think there might be something wrong with your drive, run the seagate tools package on itand find out for sure!

The IBM tool also works well too, and has a better interface (but won't be useful getting a RMA on a seagate drive)

Today I downloaded an utility called DTemp, which shows drive temperature along with various SMART parameters. And I was shocked to see that the value for "Raw read error rate" is 73.... Is my drive about to die?

No, it's nowhere near dying, and 73 sounds typical for a 'Cuda IV.

In fact, it's better than my 'Cuda IV, which is at 69 for that measure (worst during the drive's life was 63, but it's getting better cooling now).

BTW, in case you're unaware: In general, a higher value for a SMART attribute is healthier. (The only exception to this that I know of is the Temperature attribute on 'Cuda IVs, since that attribute is just the drive's temp. in degrees Celsius). Depending on the type of drive and attribute in question, the maximum (healthiest) value for that attribute could be 100, 200, 253, or perhaps something else.

I've run all tests form SeaTools, they tell me the drive is OK; also the raw read error rate value has rised to 76, but I'm still worried. Unfortunately I have no way to run DTemp on a new Barracuda to see what this value is, but my friends all told me that they have 100 on their drives (Maxtors, Quantums etc). I've also tested an IBM DTLA305030 which is almost dead (DFT reports "Drive Defective - Code 0x70"), and the value is around 95...

Jeez... don't worry so much mate! :)

I've run all tests form SeaTools, they tell me the drive is OK; also the raw read error rate value has rised to 76, but I'm still worried. Unfortunately I have no way to run DTemp on a new Barracuda to see what this value is, but my friends all told me that they have 100 on their drives (Maxtors, Quantums etc). I've also tested an IBM DTLA305030 which is almost dead (DFT reports "Drive Defective - Code 0x70"), and the value is around 95...

I'm pretty sure that each manufacturer sets their own scale for these values. For reference I'm running three Cuda IV 80 gigs in my home system. My raw error rates are reported as: 75, 67, and 69. I do not believe that my drives have an impending doom. I also have backups of critical data just in case. If you are worried, contact Seagate Tech Support and see if a technician there can tell you the normal values for the CUDA-IV. I do not believe it is valid to compare a Seagate SMART value to that of any other manufacturer though.

Free