ddrueding

Pxe Boot Server For Windows

True Enough...I've been using the one built into TFTPD as I am uncertain which settings and what values to use in the DHCP server that ships with Windows 2003 Server. I've read that values 88 and 150 are important, but 150 isn't even listed . And it also makes mention of other options related to TFTP, including file name. If I need to include file name, do I use the entire UNC path?

Yes, TFTPD does have a DHCP client. And in my testing later today, I'll make it the only DHCP server on the network and see what happens.

You earlier mentioned you didn't think smoothwall should be my main DHCP server. Why? Do you think TFTPD would be OK? I'm not convinced of it's stability yet. Do you think the Windows DHCP server will do?

If I set up the Windows DHCP server and add the option 060 Class ID, all I need to do is use the value "PXEClient"? Not the IP of the TFTP Server or anything?

you haven't even gotten this to work yet, so i don't see why you're interested in maintaining complexity. once it's functional you can decide what you want to break off in terms of stability, organization, or whatever. as for the pxeclient setting in win2k3 dhcp, that's a specific hook using dabs as a pxe server.

I'm not as concerned with stability as consistency. The TFTPD is currently not giving my PXE clients the correct information, that is why I'm looking to try something else.

I was just referred to this:

http://www.emboot.com/products_NetworkBootTools.htm

the tftpd is likely not even being consulted. the dhcp server is supposed to give the client the tftp server's information, and since you're using smoothwall's dhcpd it is not.

the tftpd is likely not even being consulted.  the dhcp server is supposed to give the client the tftp server's information, and since you're using smoothwall's dhcpd it is not.

I disabled the smoothwall's DHCP server a few minutes ago and had the same result...sorry, forgot to post that.

In my testing, I noticed that sometimes I saw the client not getting an IP when I had issues with my tftp server not running. I think it was actually getting an ip, but since it couldn't make the next step, it go any further and report it got an IP. I didn't get to do enough testing of this, so it just stuck in my mind, but that is all.

After you disabled the smoothwall DHCP, did you re-activate, re-authorize, restart the services on your other DHCP server? When someone put up a linksys on my network I had to coax my 2k3 dhcp server to start back up. It isn't that hard, just gotta make SURE it us up and running since it wants to gracefully give way to any other stubborn dhcp servers.

I've been able to get the DHCP and TFTP server working just fine. My bootstrap file loads, and I get a menu on the remote machine......but the ONLY image I can get to work is the network boot image made by the Symantec Boot Disk creator. Any other boot disk I make says "invalid image file."

So the question is, how do you make a disk image? I've been using the program Winimage to extract images from real floppy boot disks.

Also, is there any way to boot a CDROM ISO image over TFTP?

i use rawrite for windows floppy image ripping. the images need to be bootable. you can create a ghost image and edit it with the 3com tools, or you can edit the floppy (leave in the boot stuff) and rip it to an image. remember that the pxe bootstrap file needs to point to the correct file.

as for booting an iso over pxe, most isos use 2.88mb emulated floppy images, which should work if you extract them using something like bbie. you shouldn't be tftping entire cd images around; just boot it up and have the stuff run from a fileshare or nfs mount.

Sigh. I appreciate the tips, thanks....but I can't get anything to work but Ghost. MemTest86, Seagate Tools, Windows Memory Diagnostic, they all transfer the TFTP file, then the remote station just reboots. I must be missing *something*....

hello,

i came across tihs forum while looking up info on how to create a pxe bootable image from a bootable cdrom. i see you're having troubles with getting pxe to work. i had the same problem in my lab but it's working great now. i tried a lot of other solutions first but eventually i found the intel pxe pdk which works great. setting it up can be a little clusmy but once it's up it works. i have all the stations in my lab set to boot off the network first. i can specify the default boot item which is typically local boot unless i want to ghost the lab. once i switch the default boot to ghost restore they all boot up and load ghost and automatically join the ghostcast session and await for me to press send. i'm not sure why you want a seperate image for each machine? do they have different software and hardware requirements? all of the machines in my lab are identical in terms of both so it's not a problem. so far i've successfully booted a win 98 startup disk, memtest, ghost and even flashed the bioses off the network. the intel pxe pdk can be found here

Intel PXE PDK

i installed it on a windows 2000 member server running DHCP. just read the accompanying pdf file for help on how to install. they include a mkimage.exe program for creating a bootable floppy into a bootable image file.

hope this helps,

eric

Is there any way to do this from a locally machine.  Is there anyway i can add ghost to the boot.ini.

If by saying "this" you mean PXE..not really (as that would discout the whole thing).

If you mean running Ghost Corporate locally to support multicast and other forms, yes. This is what I ended up doing and it is working quite well.

Using the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard, create a ghost client partition image file. Restore this to the beginning of a drive. Then install the OS into the rest of the drive. You will have a small FAT12 partition sitting at the beginning of the drive and the boot.ini will have an entry for it.

>> as for the mbr erasing binary, i actually made it with some help from cas on this very forum.  i can provide it for you for xp if you'd like. <<

Could I get a copy of the XP MBR utility from you? I am having the same issue trying to automate boot order.

Thanks

Use RIS - setup with AD, have partition 1 at 4-8GB just for OS and basics, rest for the data drive. That's just good practice for any server, so the 2 partition requirement shouldn't be imposing anything new.

Once you have RIS, you can associate a particular machine to a particular image, just like you want. RIS can do the install, fairly quickly given the gigE network, but you could also just have RIS provide the launching mechanism (the PXE server) that fires off a GHOST command... Check with Symantec, they have a RIS-compatible version, might be what you have in hand already.

i just set up a cluster of 100 shuttle sb51gs - 2.8/533, wd400bb, 256mb, no floppy/optical. changing boot order is a pain, but changing 20 different bios settings is a NIGHTMARE. i found a piece of "shareware" (optional) that can back up/restore cmos settings. all that needed to be done was to enable the pxe boot rom, continue past the error that the floppy drive wasn't connected, and it would boot from lan. before loading ghost it would upload the "good" cmos settings.

http://mindprod.com/products.html

i just set up a cluster of 100 shuttle sb51gs - 2.8/533, wd400bb, 256mb, no floppy/optical.  changing boot order is a pain, but changing 20 different bios settings is a NIGHTMARE.  i found a piece of "shareware" (optional) that can back up/restore cmos settings.  all that needed to be done was to enable the pxe boot rom, continue past the error that the floppy drive wasn't connected, and it would boot from lan.  before loading ghost it would upload the "good" cmos settings.

http://mindprod.com/products.html

That is very sweet. Crazy to think it can work with any BIOS and with any extended info...

i am going to give the guy some money by the way, i was just pointing out the free nature for those of you who are just tinkering. i owe him a lot of beer so i hope he spends the money on it.