Sign in to follow this  
rynando

Nas Or San?

I have two W2k3 servers which I use to run Windows Media Services. I'm planning on adding a third real soon. Currently I've been replicating their media content across the two of them. Well, this can only continue for so long before I run out of local disk space. I'd like to somehow centralize storage. I'm thinking about using a NAS system. The servers all have a free gigE nic so I thought I'd use that to connect them to a storage network. Is a NAS a good idea in this senario or should I use a SAN instead? The servers aren't doing a huge amount of traffic. Each one's only pushing around 20Mbps. Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated. I guess I'm worried that the NAS will greatly slow down the speed in which the servers can access content.

The usual method is to use storage for W2K3 Server "Cluster" Clusters, but not for NLB "Clusters". You are effectively negating the usual advantages of NLB by using attached storage (if whatever kind).

Other than that, it is just a matter of what is required to keep up. Is this across a T1? Anything can saturate that. Heck, even 45Mb is saturated pretty easily for media servers - usually far fewer connections than a storefront, for example.

This is why I love my rack full of P3-based Serverworks systems....

Is this for home or business?

From the impression I am getting I wouldn't go with a SAN.

A NAS should give you the centralized storage you need. If you need more bandwidth, I/O or localized storage for each of the nodes on the cluster then the thought of a SAN might be in your head.