btb4

Speaking Of Ssd - Anyone Use These?

New one to me, anyway - looks like with the 512M limit it would be more useful for a utility, maybe a handy way to flash BIOS in all those 1U "who needs a stinkin' floppy drive...we don't need no stinking floppy drive" units, etc.

Off the top of my head can't think of too many other uses - the capacity is just too limited.

Anyone use these ever?

Cheap enough I might just order one "for the fun of it".

oh that's awesome!

now they just need to improve the speed. flash RAM on USB sticks is getting into the 4MB/sec range now.

It looks as though there are variants for about $700 that are 2G - but they need a 2.5" drive space instead of plugging into the socket.

Still, 2G is not quite enough to run most bloatware OS variants.

The trouble with the USB sticks is that many systems - esp. those you'd most want to - can not boot from them.

I am being plagued lately by the hassles of the no-floppy server, and most will not boot from USB.

Here's another SSD oddity - 1394B external SSD! Wonder what that goes for?

If 1394 is too limiting for you - you can go USB, too.

I use these little adapters that plug right into an IDE port and a CF card plugs into the adapter (Plugin Compactflash to IDE adapter). With a 1GB Sandisk Ultra, the speed is not too bad. It's still not nearly as fast as a rotating disk though. (Why don't they use SRAM buffers, support DMA modes, etc, on CF cards?) Oh well ... the CF/IDE solution is really CHEAP, especially compared to the DiskOnModule. But I must admit, the DOM is very cool looking.