Sign in to follow this  
Prof.Wizard

Sr Irc Channel

I've been thinking about this for a long time now. StorageReview.Com is already an immense community and some of us guys have been 'virtual pals' for more than 3 years. I was wondering, why don't we take it a step further and upgrade to real-time? :)

And what's the best instrument to achieve this? Internet Relay Chat was the answer! Fast, ubiquitous, runs on all platforms... the perfect tool for our real-time online endeavour!

So... I took the liberty to create an IRC channel on FreeQuest network. The channel is of course named #storagereview :P .

Use the

server -m irc.freequest.net:7000 /j #storagereview

command to get in using your favorite IRC client.

Important: Use port 7000 and not the default IRC 6667. For SSL connections you may prefer to choose port 9999.

server -m irc.freequest.net:9999 /j #storagereview

Now, why I chose this network. Most of you might have never heard FreeQuest before. OK, it's a relatively new and small network made by some people who were fed up with DALnet. The network is mainly based in Scandinavia a place with notoriously fast lines even for simple citizens (100Mbit is rather cheap and common), which will provide low latencies for SR members connected from every corner of this earth. I considered other networks as well, but none gave me the best advantages of a new solid network (based on ISP providers and corporate lines) like FreeQuest. It supports both normal and SSL connections. Also, I happen to know one of the IRCops (don't ask me how!) and almost no one can touch as there! ;)

Disclaimer: The admin of this site is not in any way responsible for the workings of the IRC channel. As with the "UT2004" servers, ddrueding and I ran, the channel is made/maintained by the members of this board and there will be no moderation whatsoever. I believe in the maturity of most members of these fora. Moderators here may become moderators there if they wish, and I'll inherit the 'founder rights' to Eugene/Davin if they want them.

PS. I'm idling in the channel waiting for you. Come and find me! :ph34r:

i'm already on efnet and freenode, no more networks :(

C'mon, give it a try! :)

I might drop in after I get out of work. With the time zone differences, this might prove challenging (I'm on the West Coast in the US). Not IM? ;)

I stopped by.  That server is very fast but I think alot more people would connect if the channel was on undernet or efent or dalnet etc.

I kinda like being on more unknown networks though.

Last time I tried to use EFnet I couldn't use maybe 80% of the EFnet servers I found (my ISP would be Klined or something).

All 3 are subject to more messy network attacks than the little unknown guys (though I guess on the flip side, little unknown guys can be more easily knocked offline completely).

I have the same problem with most big networks. Moreover, as I said, there are three advantages on FreeQuest, not to underestimate (for some):

• ultra low lag for most of us and almost no IRC splits (cause the network is small and swift)
  • possibility of connection both normally and via SSL (for some important)
  • IRCop is a guy I know (might be of help, dunno)

Please, guys, if we pass the "critical mass" of ten persons idling who knows... we might start something cool here. Try it at least. Idle in the channel!

PS. One more [small] network, honold, won't ruin your day. ;)

The community seems to be growing. :)

Thanks for coming guys, afterall, if you have broadband connections and a nice IRC client supporting multiple networks it won't cost you anything idle in the channel!

Should we install a bot for the maintainance of the channel? Changing the day-topic, greeting those who enter, giving information (for example "last seen" service), etc.? Who knows about bots?

We could also install an XDCC bot ready to serve with the usual 'Storage business' tools like benchmarks, drivers, and other useful stuff.

I've never really used IRC before. I tried finding the freequest server in Trillian but it was in the list :(

So you can add it :)

On Trillian's connection manager page; give it a description (whatever you like) and then enter the server info Prof.Wizard posted into the server and port fields.

Then put it in its own group and you'll be set to use Trillian to connect to Freequest.

so you going to get a web based part put up on this site ?

This would be awesome! It would be great to have a Java IRC client and a "Chat" link up on the title! :)

The problem is, is the IRC hack supported by this forum application or do we have to search for external solutions?

Hmm, mIRC is the most popular IRC client out there.

The popular multiprotocol instant messaging client Trillian also has IRC support.

For Linux there's Xchat and the console based BitchX (and tons more, but those are the two most common)

OSX, I have no idea these days.. it used to be Ircle for older MacOSes

Once you've gotten a client, setup your nickname and add the IRC server Prof.Wizard to the list of usable servers.

IRC is a pretty simple, and old protocol. Your IP is visible to other users (unless you have some sort of secured proxy or other way to fool the server).

Your IP is visible to other users (unless you have some sort of secured proxy or other way to fool the server).

Whoever has a problem with this may ask for a shell (bouncer). But I believe BNCs aren't necessary for the average Joe who just wants to chat lawfully. Only those with evil intentions really need them IMHO.

Thanks everyone for idling. It seems we almost always have 7-8 persons idling and chatting between humans and bots. :P

I am serious about the Java IRC client on top of the SR pages.

What's the Invision hack for it? Is it free or commercial?

As the channel grows there is need of some chanops, friendly guys who can see into the conversations, if not away...

Our AOP list has at the moment Warmonger and Screwdriver! :)

Come join us at #storagereview!

Megadeth added as well. :)

Join the channel and chat about everything storage-related and not only!

Sorry about the spam, but I really believe in the idea of the channel. :ph34r:

We did it... actually all thanks to Handruin's help! B)

A Web-based Java IRC Client that will automatically connect you to #storagereview on FreeQuest network!

(now you have no excuse, choose your nick and come!)

It's probably your browser/OS. Make sure also you have the latest Java VM installed.

I updated the interface of the Web Client to be a little more friendly. I'll continue tomorrow.

Thanks for getting the web interface up and running - works like a charm. Especially for me since I log into IRC from work more often and we can't install whatever we want on the college computers.

B)