uart

Zero Warranty On Hitachi Oem Drives ?

A guy (from the UK) at another forum swears that this is the exact reply he got from Hitachi when he inquired about their warranty on OEM product.

I am about to purchase a hard drive and was interested in the Hitachi 7k250 160GB SATA 8MB cache drive. A company in the UK(dabs) sells this drive for £84.50 but it is the OEM version. I emailed Hitachi asking what the warranty/Guarantee is on these drives, it is 3 years on their retail drives
Dear sir,

Thank you for your email.

OEM drives drive are exclusively sold to system manufacturers or assemblers to install into their own complete computer systems.

Therefore there is no Hitachi Global Storage Technologies warranty with

this type of drives.

Best regards

Hitachi Gobal Storage Technologies

No warranty at all? Have they just out-sourced customer support to someone who doesn't have a clue or could this really be true?

as usual the warranty is with who YOU bought it from, ususally with oem drives this is the supplier/manufacturer of the pc, so no direct manufacters warranty. they give that to their distributor who would pass some or all of it on to dabs. so in this case it would be with dabs who as usual would like to pass it off to a third party - any third party rather than deal with it themselves as they should

Remember that the terms 'OEM' and 'bare drive' or 'bulk' don't mean exactly the same, though they're sometimes used synonymously. An OEM drive (intended for installation through a major PC manufacturer like HP, Dell etc. and usually sold without a warranty) is always a bare drive, but the reverse is not always true.

I've RMA'd an IBM Ultrastar 18ES 9 GB to IBM. The drive had a big OEM on the sticker. OEM doesn't always mean OEM it seems. Typically if there's a Compaq/HP/IBM/DELL/whatever part number on the disk (or anything else for that matter) your warranty lies with that company. Often you'll only have warranty when the unit is installed in a compatible system.

I recently received a retail-boxedWestern Digital 40GB hard drive that had "IBM OEM" on the drive label along with a separate IBM part number. :unsure: The drive did have a 1 year warranty. Perhaps some of the confusion is from manufacturers taking excess OEM-labelled drives, giving them the same warranties as retail drives, and selling them in the retail channel.

I recently received a retail-boxedWestern Digital 40GB hard drive that had "IBM OEM" on the drive label along with a separate IBM part number. :unsure: The drive did have a 1 year warranty. Perhaps some of the confusion is from manufacturers taking excess OEM-labelled drives, giving them the same warranties as retail drives, and selling them in the retail channel.

I would have taken it back to the store immediately...

Remember that the terms 'OEM' and 'bare drive' or 'bulk' don't mean exactly the same, though they're sometimes used synonymously. An OEM drive (intended for installation through a major PC manufacturer like HP, Dell etc. and usually sold without a warranty) is always a bare drive, but the reverse is not always true.

Thanks for the clarification Timmy. :)

Yeah, I've bought lot's of "bare drives" and only a few of them have actually had an OEM label on them (most did not).

BTW, I've had the same experience as did HMTK. I bought a bunch of "bare" Seagate CudaIV's (40GB) about two years ago and several of them said "OEM product" on the label (though I didn't notice this at the time). It was only when I had some failures (under one year) and wanted to claim warranty that I noticed the "OEM" bit on the label. At first I thought that this was going to cause problems, but I checked the serial at Seagates website and it came back as "in warranty" and without any mention of OEM or any other limitations. So the end result was that all faulty drives were RMA'ed without incident.

I did actually start to wonder if those drives weren't somehow refused by a large OEM (perhaps after in-house testing showed them to have reliabilty too poor for the OEM's standards) and then somehow got put back into the retail chain. I have no evidence for this, but that particular bunch of Seagates had the worst reliabilty of any I've ever used.

Is there any reason to? It came in a sealed Western Digital retail blister pack, and has the same 1 year Western Digital warranty as other retail drives.

Is there any reason to? It came in a sealed Western Digital retail blister pack, and has the same 1 year Western Digital warranty as other retail drives.

I would be concerned that it was an assembly or manufacturing reject. (ie it didnt meet some standard test) and is thus sub standard...