Sign in to follow this  
Hamburglar

7k400's @ Dell... Only $500

Only $500? You always get so much better prices in the states, it's not fair! Here in Sweden it costs 55.736:- (with 25% VAT) which with a exchange rate of 9 to 1 is more than $6000

From http://www.macnn.com/news/23832

SimpleTech today announced a 400GB external version of its SimpleDrive Deluxe USB 2.0/FireWire external hard drive. The new SimpleDrive Deluxe features Hitatchi's recently announced 7K400 hard drive and will begin shipping in April for $500. A version with only USB 2.0 connectivity will sell for $470. Additionally, Hitatchi will begin shipping the 7K400 in a bare-drive configuration in late April/early May for $400, MacNN has learned.

Time to upgrade my fileserver

Only $500? You always get so much better prices in the states, it's not fair! Here in Sweden it costs 55.736:- (with 25% VAT) which with a exchange rate of 9 to 1 is more than $6000

that must surely be a typo... maybe it is $600?

They've been offering 400Gb drives in Precision workstations for about a month here in the UK - even before HGST announced the 7K400.

They're a £350 option if I remember correctly.

FYI.

Lol, I'll take 8 to fill out a RaidCore.

Do you have a link for this? I can not find anything over a 300G (5400 RPM) Maxtor at Dell.

Do you have a link for this?  I can not find anything over a 300G (5400 RPM) Maxtor at Dell.

They are only offered packaged with high end Dell PCs, not individually... yet. So, the actual cost is higher than $500 if you didn't plan on buying a new PC. Dell usually gets first shot at new toys. Give it 2-4 weeks for commodity pricing and availability to take over.