Sign in to follow this  
craigww_22

Connect 2 Pcs To A Usb Hub?

anyone know of a usb hub I can connect 2 PCs to, for example to make a printer "local" on both... I realise I could get some kind of network hub or router but surely there's a usb hub with two uplink slots

I've only seen something like this built into some high-end Mitsubishi Diamondtron CRT's, which makes a lot of sense on a monitor with dual inputs. I don't think both uplinks were simultaneously active though.

The official www.usb.org site seems to imply there can only be one host.

You can do this with a switch, but for everything I have seen only one CPU can access the USB device at a time. There are some switches with a software layer that manages the connections more dynamically - Belkin might even make them - but it is still a switch.

the only ones i've run into were built into mitsubishi monitors, but i've never looked for one. just wanted to let you know that they do exist.

Such a thing is, as far as I am aware, not possible within the USB specifications. Why do you want the printer to be "local" to two machines? Can't you just network them instead? Fast Ethernet NICs are extremely cheap these days. If you really need a USB solution (say, if someone has welded shut your computer case so you can't add another PCI card, or all of your PCI slots are full and you don't have on-motherboard networking), then there are USB networking solutions available, although doing it that way would be slower than with a conventional ethernet setup.

Belkin makes a couple of USB switches, some with hotkey support, so that you can switch the focus with your keyboard.

It is impossible to have a single USB interface connected to two roots. The specification doesn't allow for it, and there are many things that prevent devices from doing this.

Of course someone could build a switch that has two interfaces, and emulates the devices behind it to each interface and then -in firmware- sends packets to/ from the correct root to the device, but it would be quite complicated and i think that there wouldn't be enough demand for this.