fizzy

Mobo Recommendation For A 7/24 Kiosk

Hello All,

The company I work for is retrofitting our current reference hardware design with a new pc. We currently use an Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

The pc is used in a 7/24 photography/printing kiosk.

We have run into a few problems with usb on this mobo and I am interested to see if anyone has a recommendation on a rock solid stable and driver stable motherboard. Stability is the number 1, 2 and 3 priorities.

We previously had 5 USB devices in the kiosk and this caused problems with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe so we are planning to scale it back to 2 usb devices (and use serial and ide devices instead). The problems were related to having to manually unplug/replug usb devices to get them working which is something you can not do with a remotely controlled kiosk.

A USB PCI card like Screwdriver suggested would probably be easier and cheaper than a wholesale system replacement, esp. if the problems are exclusively with USB devices.

if you honestly feel motherboard replacement is best and stability is paramount, go with intel, tyan, or supermicro. intel should suffice.

Ah an aftermarket PCI USB card great.. Will try that on the existing pc's...

The mobo recommendation is for a bunch of new kiosks we are about to build so we don't ahve any pre-existing system in that case.

I would double check that the problem isn't the usb devices and not the mb. Without testing it is hard to say if the mb or the device is malfunctioning.

I would get an Intel motherboard and a cheap P4 and underclock them (for heat).

Does anyone know of a place to find the power consumption of the various intel cpu's?

Looking to find the sweet spot for performance/heat...

We currently use P4-2.4Ghz and te kiosk is a bit on the hot side. Also the software in the kiosk no longer needs the added horsepower (programmer's have gotten smarter so the kiosk doesn't have to work as hard).

Looks like intel has a storng recommendation does anyone have a particular intel mobo they recommend?

Intel.com has typical therma output of thier chips. You will probably have to dig a bit. It might be easier to find on www.theinquirer.net, but I can't voutch for accuracy.

You will want the slowest .13 micro chip. For the lowest power consumption. I still do not see how you know it is the mb. I have seen broken USB devices to what you are seeing as well.

I don't have a Intel MB that I can recommend. Are you sure it is the mb causing the problems? Changing the MB and having the an USB device causing this would be pointless.

Very little to nothing in the usb logic will be different between an mb with an intel chipset and an intel mb.

It could be a bad power supply, or over heating. I really suspect an usb device is speaking garbage and hosing everything on the bus.

Hi I'm fizzy's colleage, thanks for your infos, to answer Kenneth's q we've had so far 3 usb devices barf on this mb, a simple hp keyboard, a memory key and a flash card reader.

the bios has a 2.0 legacy support which had to be disabled just to get 1.1 working at all, and 2.0 working "some" of the time, but jiggle the system a bit and anything will happen (ie usb devices go missing, hang etc..)

we have 4 of these mb's and all have exhibited the same behavior. I've gotten addicted to advil...

If would test a with different models of the usb devices, before calling it the mb. I am not saying that it isn't the mb, but prematurely blaming one piece of hardware will cause alot more advil use.

I would put the keyboard on ps2 and not use the usb hub in the keyboard. USB hubs in keyboards are reguarly flacky. I would expect that you also have 4 card readers, memory keys, and keyboards.

For my HTPC I chose the celeron 2.0GHz because it is the slowest clocked celeron to use a northwood core.

I suppose a 1.6A p4 would be cooler, but it would cost twice as much and perform similarly (from benchmarks on the web it looked like a celeron p4 performed about 20% slower than a similarly clocked p4 for most tasks)

Great thanks for the cpu heads up... I was researching this today...

Price isn't an issue the big thing is heat with decent enough performance.

We use several of these S845WD-1 motherboards and they are very stable and reliable. They will support Celeron 1.7 & 1.8, though the URL above does not say so. This board replaced the S815EBM1, a P3/Celeron board. Though it is touted as a server board, and that is the way we use it, it does have an AGP slot so it combines basic server level stability with the ability to function as a workstation (I assume that you do not want ATI Rage graphics for a kiosk).

the 1.8a seems to handily destroy higher-clocked celerons in this review

The celeron 2.0GHz is faster than I need in my HTPC.. I would assume it would be overkill for a kiosk.

For thermal output on most x86 processors ever build check this link. Also check the links section at the end of the page for all kinds of processor specifications links with updates and more.

Best Regards

Theis

If you're concerned about heat and cost rather than performance, how about VIA processors?

The kiosk needs some horsepower which is why we aren't going with the via chips (though I would love to and we do have optmizations planned that would allow us to use via chips someday). For example generating 600 dpi 8x10 prints means we move around alot of memory. An uncompressed 600 dpi 8x10 print is about 110 megs.

From the charts a p4 1.8a is 45 watts which will provide a good mix of performance with lower wattage (we are curently using a 65 watt P4).

Okay well we have spent over 50 hours now wrestling with various 865 chipset motherboards (Intel and Asus).

The original reason I liked hte 865 was because I thought it was a "stable" chipset. In practice we are finding it anything but that.

What I am looking for is a reasonably cool cpu/motherbaord combo for our 7/24 kiosk. The current kiosks is currently run by a P4 2.4Ghz. The mobo and cpu are for new kiosks.

We use 1Gb of memory in the kiosks and anything that is the equivalent of a p4 1.8 or above will do fine for horsepower. We do a fair bit of heavy image processing (%Mbit RAW images) hence the need for some horsepower.

Stability with our hardware is the numero uno and duo concerns. Price is not an issue (well within reason under $1000 for the Mobo/cpu/ram combo)

you have mentioned difficulty with an array of usb devices on a specific motherboard. i don't believe that incriminates the entire chipset, and i would suspect it's more likely to do with the devices than the usb implementation. that being said, have you tried an intel motherboard yet? it was suggested multiple times.

Hi honold, thanks for your response,

We have isolated the chipset for the following reasons:

-USB devices that work on other boards do not work on this chipset.

-the behavior is consistent with different brands of the same devices.

-we have used 2 intel's and 3 Asus' and all have exhibited the same trouble.

On our most recent attempt last week, we removed all but 1 usb device and began assembling a new intel (D865Perl).

On this board, two different video cards crashed it, it would not detect the CDRom, and raid 1 became a real pain that took 2 hours with intel support to restore (while the raid setup was ok, we emulated a hard drive failure to witness the system's behaviour and rebuild/restore requirements - in the failure the bios became unbootable).

Without going into the other headaches, I have worked now with 6 of these boards, and having built my share of PCs with many different boards I've never seen so much trouble come from one board/chipset.

Hence the inquiry.

Thanks for your time

Hi honold, thanks for your response,

-USB devices that work on other boards do not work on this chipset

since you've identified those other boards, perhaps you could use one of them?