Sign in to follow this  
MiToZ

Detected Ta Count?

Hello!

Does anyone know what this attibute mean? It changed minus 1 on my Maxtor drive and returned back on its original value on next check. I searched on net but i can't seem to find any explanation ...

Thanks

Wild guess, but TA is normally short for "thermal asperity." In layman terms, if there is a particle on the disk and the heads fly over it, it's like driving a car over a speed bump too quickly. The sudden "spike" can cause a brief burst of localized heat that damages the head. At least, that's what I remember reading once upon a time. ;) Thus, the detected TA count is an indirect way of counting particles inside the drive.

Obviously, you want to minimize them to begin with, and you also don't want them to increase on you. If you suddenly see this count increasing dramatically, that may indicate something inside the drive is generating particles (e.g. rubbing of parts). The internal filtration system should catch these, but if there are too many to catch it won't be able to keep up. The last thing you want is for a particle to get embedded between the head and the disk, causing a scratch as it drags across the surface.

Then again, it could be something completely different. :lol: