Sign in to follow this  
dr.ralph

Seagate 15k.4 Scsi Drives......when ?

I'm awaiting Seagates release of the succesor to the 15K.3 but I'm beginning to doubt ít will ever be there.

The 15K.3 is close to 2 years old now - isn't it about time Seagate released the 15K.4 ?

I mean, the WD raptor WD740 is very close in total speed to the 15K.3 and it's only a 10K SATA drive.

Not that I'm not satisfied with my 4 15K.4 drives - I am - they have surved me well - but I'm ready to upgrade to the 15K.4 now.

Maybe in few months like Fujitsu ? I saw that they will release new 15 000 RPM in june... ?

A little question : are you in RAID 0 ?

No I've skipped my RAID 0 config, and have gone over to pure simple single harddrive config.

My harddrive config. is shown here:

hdsetup.jpg

In my view this is working more smoothly than then raid 0 setup with 4 harddrives in it - and the noise from those 4 hardrrives was terrible...just terrible :ph34r:

Maybe in few months like Fujitsu ? I saw that they will release new 15 000 RPM in june... ?

A little question : are you in RAID 0 ?

No I've skipped my RAID 0 config, and have gone over to pure simple single harddrive config.

My harddrive config. is shown here:

hdsetup.jpg

In my view this is working more smoothly than then raid 0 setup with 4 harddrives in it - and the noise from those 4 hardrrives was terrible...just terrible :ph34r:

I asked you because I have a 39320R with four 15K.3 too. But me, I am in RAID 0 (4 x 18Gb) and the performance are very poor with 3 or 4 disks, excellent with 2...(130 Mb/sec in average speed read with 2 disks and 90 Mb/s with 3 or 4 ! :angry: )

Hi Dr. Ralph.

How can 4 discs in a Raid-0 setup produce more noise than the same 4 discs in a non-raid setup? Is it pure read/write-noise you're referring to?

Cheers!

Hi Dr. Ralph.

How can 4 discs in a Raid-0 setup produce more noise than the same 4 discs in a non-raid setup? Is it pure read/write-noise you're referring to?

Cheers!

in RAID0 all drives will be accessed on any hdd access. in a non-raid config, only the drive that has teh data will be queried.

In RAID0 all drives will be accessed on any hdd access. in a non-raid config, only the drive that has the data will be queried.

You said it - so correct ! ;)

Hi Dr. Ralph.

Cheers!

Like Drizzt81 says, when all the 4 SCSI drives are in raid o together, the noise from all 4 drives at once will always produce a conctant amount of loud noise because the entire array of the 4 drives will always be accessed at the same time.

When the 4 drives are setup in single mode each, only tha data you acesses on one of the harddrives will produce noise.

If I i.e. try to open a program, the drive with my win xp and the drive with the program on will only make noise - the other two will be silent (close to)

And on top of that, my experience with the 4 drive raid 0 setup was that it didn't give me any clear better performance, compared to my present 4 singel drive setup.

I also kind of like the hole idea of everything being on a seperate harddrive better.

I've had my last RAID setup - I'm going for numerous single harddrives for each work pattern instead.

That is 1 for OS, 1 for programs, 1 for data, 1 for backup etc.

In fact my plan is to only use 4 internal hardrives amd 1 external hardrive in the future:

1 gigantic SATA 400 or 500GB drive - for backup and Mp3 files

3 SCSI or SATA lightning fast drives for OS, programs, games, data and pagefiles.

The one for OS approx 34GB in size, the one for data approx also 34 GB in size and finally the one for programs and games approx 76GB in size.

I asked you because I have a 39320R with four 15K.3 too. But me, I am in RAID 0 (4 x 18Gb) and the performance are very poor with 3 or 4 disks, excellent with 2...(130 Mb/sec in average speed read with 2 disks and 90 Mb/s with 3 or 4 !  :angry: )

Try another setup if you wish to still use Raid 0 - I've skipped raid 0 for reasons you can read in my other postings.

Try to have 2 scsi drive in raid 0 on channel A and two scsi drives in raid 0 on channel B - this should give you maximum performance on this scsi controller from Adaptec.

You have to have two seperate SCSI cables for this setup, but it works - trust me.

Try to place your OS and bulk (not so often used) data on one raid 0 array and programs and (the frequent used) data on the other raid array.