Sign in to follow this  
Primate

New Laser Printer

My laserjet IIP burned out it's toner density board I believe, so I need to look into a new printer.

I don't print all that often, probably 20 pages a month, but I'd like them to be good quality and I'd like something that will last a couple of years.

I've been really happy with the IIP, but I can't see spending $40 or whatever on a new board and putting it in, when I can't trust that something else wont go wrong on it in 3 months.

I'd prefer something with an actual printer port because my SMC 7004BR has a print server on it. With a special driver installed on any machine on my network I can easily print to it.

If it's really neccesary I suppose I can just connect the printer to one of my computers and just share it.

I think I covered everything.

Thanks in advance for advice.

My wife bought a ML-1710 a couple of weeks ago -- no parallel interface - USB only.

The ML-1750 is the bigger brother.

BestBuy.com is selling the ML-1710 for 199.99 w/ a $120 rebate.

Yep, $80 for a 17-ppm 600dpi laser.

And, as stated, the toner is cheap.

Haven't run through too many sheets (< 500) so far, but it's a nice little unit.

Dogeared

(I used part of the rebate to buy a wireless USB print server from Trendware. Pretty cool.)

I like the LaserJet 4plus on Ebay for about $50 or $70 with s/h.

This can include a jet direct card and postscript level 2 if you watch carefully. The 4+ include image enhancement for greater effective dpi.

Verbatim makes quality toners for the hp printer that costs less than the samsung. The toner is the same price but is rated for ~13000 sheets vs ~3000 sheets.

Stick with anything HP when it comes to laser printers, not because I like their overpriced products, but becuase 3-5 years down the road you will still find parts and service for those models and there is still someone refilling you empty toner cartridges that you can pay at 1/2 for than a new one.

Stick with anything HP when it comes to laser printers, not because I like their overpriced products, but becuase 3-5 years down the road you will still find parts and service for those models and there is still someone refilling you empty toner cartridges that you can pay at 1/2  for than a new one.

Who do you buy refilled toners from? I found that I could buy new Verbatim toners for less per sheet than refilled hp toners.

For home use, I think the best deal is buying used hp laser for the price of a toner and when it breaks buying another used hp laser from ebay. Primates Hp laserjet 2p just died, and used laserjet 4 probably still has alot of life in it. Most places appear to be surplusing them for fancier printers.

I wouldn't recommend buying a used printer on ebay unless you know something about servicing the printer other than how to insert the cartridge. Laser printers can get dirty and streak and whine after time. But that samsung for $80 seems like a good deal to me.

How much cheaper are we talking for HP LaserJet 4 cartridges? The samsungs seem to be $80.

Kyocera printers have permanent drums, so the toner cartridges (which do not need drums) are quite a bit cheaper. Cost/page is lower with Kyocera than just about anyone else. Good luck finding one though.

The HP Laserjet 1200 is a great printer and has native, hardware Postscript support.

Before buying an unknown model, I always do a google search for "<model> sucks" to read horror stories about the product. Of course, you will have to use your own judgement as to their validity and the "reviewer's" competence.

I wouldn't recommend buying a used printer on ebay unless you know something about servicing the printer other than how to insert the cartridge.  Laser printers can get dirty and streak and whine after time.  But that samsung for $80 seems like a good deal to me.

How much cheaper are we talking for HP LaserJet 4 cartridges?  The samsungs seem to be $80.

I found 13000 page toners from Verbatim for ~60 dollars. The double life Verbatim toners do more than 4 times the number of pages.

LaserJet 4's have a reputation for lasting. I can't say much about the newer hp lasers, but the older models tending to work longer than people wanted them to.

The verbatim makes toners and ink (yuck) for popular printers. This is a subset IBM/Lexmark and HP printers.

I find that comsumable costs tend to be most of a printers cost. Cheap toner is a good thing.

3-5 years down the road you will still find parts and service for those models

ml-1210 toner is widely available and that's an "old" samsung (what i use). as for service, who cares? it's $80 and it's 3-5 years old...

I went out and got the ML-1710 last night, and like a complete newb didn't pick up a USB cable for it. :P

Sometime today I'll run out and get one.

In regards to getting a LJ4+, I thought about buying another used HP or repairing my IIP but for $79 it's difficult to pass on getting a new printer.

I'm completely capable of repairing the HP's, I used to do it all the time, but in this case I don't think it's worth the trouble, or cost.

Thanks for the advice.

Yea, this is driving used computer equipment stores out of existance... (YAY) the price of new gear is so low, that it just doesnt make sence to gamble on a repair or refurb junker...

Grab a used HP.

Even the vertical feed models are OK after the page separator kit has been installed. I picked up a used HP Laserjet 1100 for $45 shipped (!). Slapped in a new toner cartridge (old one was leaking) and the separator kit (which sadly is no longer free) and it was good to go.

On the safe side, avoid the vertical feed models (5L, 6L, 1100) due to the paper feed problems... although at your volume, once fixed with the kit they'd probably be safe.

For new printers, the Samsungs are hard to beat on price if you're not already an HP fan.

How much cheaper are we talking for HP LaserJet 4 cartridges? The samsungs seem to be $80.

Well a new Laserjet 4 cartridge cost around $125cdn and a refilled one costs like $40-45cdn. I used to have them come to pick them up at work and replaced with a new batch every month. Check you phone directory under "printer' or "Computers" for refilling services.

I personally have a factory refurbuished HP 6L and with the limited amount of sheets I print its a great little printer for under $100cdn with a refilled $40cdn cartrigde that does 3500 copies.

Well a new Laserjet 4 cartridge cost around $125cdn and a refilled one costs like $40-45cdn. 

refilled $40cdn cartrigde that does 3500 copies.

I'm not sure about the 6L, but Verbatim sells new toners for less per sheet for the Laserjet 4.

Cost Pages Toner

$60 13000 Verbatim (double life)

$35 3500 Refiled HP

$60 3500 New HP

Check your resellers for the Verbatim toners. In the US, Verbatims price per page is 1/2 the refills in the US and 1/4 new hp toners.

My laserjet IIP burned out it's toner density board I believe, so I need to look into a new printer.

I don't print all that often, probably 20 pages a month, but I'd like them to be good quality and I'd like something that will last a couple of years.

I've been really happy with the IIP, but I can't see spending $40 or whatever on a new board and putting it in, when I can't trust that something else wont go wrong on it in 3 months.

I'd prefer something with an actual printer port because my SMC 7004BR has a print server on it. With a special driver installed on any machine on my network I can easily print to it.

If it's really neccesary I suppose I can just connect the printer to one of my computers and just share it.

I think I covered everything.

Thanks in advance for advice.

I'm using xerox 8560 and I got no problems with it since I got it. I would recommend xerox or hp printers. I don't know but I'm having bad luck with other brand of printers. It's either their toners are expensive or I'm having some hardware problems with them.

Great printer toner and ink cartridge deals, discounts and coupons. Also, check out the latest printer reviews and technology news. http://blog.concordsupplies.com