Sign in to follow this  
synthexp

No Display On Syncmaster 197t On Dvi

Hello all,

I bought a Samsung Syncmaster 197T (191T+ in the US). It doesn't come with cable so I went out and bought a single-link DVI (DVI-D) cable since the monitor accepts only DVI-D connector. I'm using a geforce fx 5700 ultra with a DVI-I connector. I understand that DVI-I are with both digital and analog interface and supposedly it is compatible with either one.

The problem is that I can't get any display on the DVI output where else, using a 15-pin analog interface, it just works.

Couldn't find anything of relevant material on Google. Is there any restriction on using a DVI-D cable on a DVI-I interface?

Thank you.

Is there any restriction on using a DVI-D cable on a DVI-I interface?

No. Virtually all graphics card with DVI implement DVI-I (to allow the use of a DVI-to-VGA converter), and most DVI cables are DVI-D, including the one Samsung bundles with the 191T on most markets.

I've only used Samsung LCD's with their bundled DVI cable (including from NVidia DVI-I ports), and cannot comment if the bundled cable is nonstandard.

For some reason, one of my distributors does list a specific Samsung DVI-D cable for use with the "150T-DVI, 171T-I, 171TM-I, 181T, 181T-P, 191T-P, 210T, 240T".

Are you starting up with the DVI cable plugged in at both ends, and the monitor turned on? Many graphics cards won't activate theit secondary port if there is no active monitor plugged in at startup.

Also try starting with both the VGA and DVI-D cables plugged in, and going into the NVidia control panel to activate the DVI port. The last time I had to do that was with my first-gen GeForce 2MX DVI, though. Any current graphics card should have recognized there was a monitor plugged into the DVI port.

Also try starting with both the VGA and DVI-D cables plugged in, and going into the NVidia control panel to activate the DVI port.

Many monitors will not use the DVI output if you also have the analog output plugged in from the same computer.

Found another possible cause for concern. A cursory glance at a boxed US model, 191T+ model revealed that the monitor comes prepackaged with a 24-pin (dual-link) cable. Did I just bought the wrong type of cable? I'm not well-versed in the computer video technology.

No analog was attached when I'm putting the dvi interface to use. tried connecting before/after a reboot but still no go. Similarly, without the dvi attached, the analog would come out well.

The monitor is capable of using two sources at one time via a toggle button. If I attached both interfaces, the digital signal would go blank where else the analog would work just fine.

as for the cable, the sales person said the cable I bought is certified samsung dvi cable (for 192T (canada/asia)) but since mine is a Korean model, he can't vouch for that. The 197T shares the same spec/drivers with 191T/191T+/193T.

The monitor is capable of using two sources at one time via a toggle button. If I attached both interfaces, the digital signal would go blank where else the analog would work just fine.

i tested with another PC. Regardless whether it is connected to the same or different computers, I can't get any display on the DVI out.

Make sure the monitor is plugged in before the machine boots. I initially thought my DVI-D Dell 2000FP LCD monitor was broken because I plugged it into the DVI-I output on my Radeon, and nothing happened. I screwed around with it for a day. It wasn't until the next day where I came in and powered up the box that the display went on... along with the light bulb over my head. :)

Start it up with the DVI connected and SVGA disconnected.

- Chris

The monitor is capable of using two sources at one time via a toggle button.

Two different sources at one time (i.e one computer attached via VGA and another computer attached DVI).

If I attached both interfaces, the digital signal would go blank where else the analog would work just fine.

Precisely. See my previous post, and my comment above.

tried connecting before/after a reboot but still no go.
Do not try to hotplug the monitor.

Turn off the system. Make sure the DVI cable in the only signal cable plugged into the monitor. Make sure the only signal cable attached to your Video Card is the DVI cable. Power your system back on. If you can not see anything while the system should be displaying POST information, try using the monitors switches to toggle between analog and digital modes.

If that fails, the DVI might be stuck in sleep mode. This is actually not that uncommon with some Samsung models. There is a solution, as I've seen several reference to on ARS and elsewhere, but I'm not familar with its procedure offhand. (I'm thinking it was achieved by pressing some combo of the monitor buttons, but I could be wrong). Try calling Samsung tech support, they should be able to provide a remedy. If not, post/search on ARS in the A/V forum and you should get an answer.

many thanks to all.

Turn off the system.  Make sure the DVI cable in the only signal cable plugged into the monitor.  Make sure the only signal cable attached to your Video Card is the DVI cable.    Power your system back on.  If you can not see anything while the system should be displaying POST information, try using the monitors switches to toggle between analog and digital modes.

no post no nothing even different sources were connected to the monitor.

tried connecting the analog cable to the graphic card's dvi interface via a D-sub-to-DVI cable but didn't seem to do any good.

If that fails, the DVI might be stuck in sleep mode.  This is actually not that uncommon with some Samsung models.  There is a solution, as I've seen several reference to on ARS and elsewhere, but I'm not familar with its procedure offhand.  (I'm thinking it was achieved by pressing some combo of the monitor buttons, but I could be wrong).  Try calling Samsung tech support, they should be able to provide a remedy.  If not, post/search on ARS in the A/V forum and you should get an answer.

many thanks to all.

Ars forum seems to be down at the moment. thanks for the glimpse of a tryout.