Photobug

Backing Up Is Hard To Do!

Restoring from a backup image and cloning are two different but similar things. For cloning you have the Microsoft sysprep tool to remove the hardware information and make it do the initial windows hardware detection again at next bootup. This is used by oem's to prepare images for end user pcs. However this tool actually runs on the machine and then deletes itself after running. So it is no good for removing that information from a backup image. If there was such a tool that would seem to eliminate the problem. You could restore the image and then run the tool on the restored partition to remove the hardware info.

Spod & TwoJ:

Thanks for the education (never too late to learn and I usually do learn a lot here)! That bring me full circle back to my original questions that prompted this thread in the first place...

Rephrasing my situation, I've recently had a bad scare (per my first post) so I'm searching for the best backup software I can get and then establish a sound backup strategy to ensure that I will always be able to recover from any disaster. But now it's sounding to me that no one software product can be depended upon to do that. :unsure:

From what you guys are saying, I'm coming away with the impression that an imaging product is best for restoring your own PC, but a file-by-file backup software is best for restoring to a new PC (should mine ever be flooded or burned beyond repair). If that's correct, it really complicates one's backup strategy! :blink:

I'm coming away with the impression that an imaging product is best for restoring your own PC, but a file-by-file backup software is best for restoring to a new PC (should mine ever be flooded or burned beyond repair). If that's correct, it really complicates one's backup strategy!

Good backup software - such as Retrospect - does both. With scripting you control when it does what. And it manages the issues related to moving an image to a new system.

Wouldn't plug & play detect/correct any device issues?  How do corporatate IT depts clone an imaged OS to a great many multiple PCs that are not necessarily identical device-wise?  :blink:

Pretty much, they don't. When corporate IT buys machines, mostly they buy in quantity, so all the machines are the same for that lot. They make an image for that lot and store it away.

XP is better about changes in hardware than 2000 is. I wish MS could come up with a way of easing that scenario.

If you are a corp IT guy, and you don't do it that way, I feel bad for you.

I'm coming away with the impression that an imaging product is best for restoring your own PC, but a file-by-file backup software is best for restoring to a new PC (should mine ever be flooded or burned beyond repair).   If that's correct, it really complicates one's backup strategy!  

Good backup software - such as Retrospect - does both. With scripting you control when it does what. And it manages the issues related to moving an image to a new system.

Ya, Retrospect is a good product, w/ 6.0 the options that they give you for the money are really nice.

I wish they had a better Exchange Agent though. If you really needed mailbox restore, they simply don't offer it.

Isn't Retrospect a file-by-file backup product? Can it actually create an image of your disk or partition? Can it faithfully backup WinXP while you are logged into your system? If it can do all of that, then I will look into it for sure! :blink:

Isn't Retrospect a file-by-file backup product? Can it actually create an image of your disk or partition? Can it faithfully backup WinXP while you are logged into your system? If it can do all of that, then I will look into it for sure! :blink:

The general answer is "Yes", though at this point they offer so many flavors, variants, etc. I'd check to make sure that what you want is specifically covered in a package/level that is suitable for you.

If the distinction between "file by file" and "image" is the difference between "incremental" and "whole disk restorable backup - just install an OS (any that will run Retrospect - does not have to be the one the system will end up with) and Retrospect and go, then it does both. if you mean something else (e.g., a sector by sector forensic style "image") then it may not do that, though I have not clearly seen that requirement in this thread.