alexb

Smart Report - Should I Rma?

Here'e my smart report on my WD800JB, taken with HDD health.

Clip.gif

It works fine, but very rarely, when I power-up there's this BIG clicking sound, and also once while the drive was running (and installed) I just pushed on its side and it started clicking like crazy and stopped working. I just wanted to see if it was loose or not and it caused it to fail. Reboot solved that, but it looks like to me that the drive is extremely sensetive to shock.

SMART is fine.

did you try another power supply, or another power connector ?

I have tried different power connectors, no difference. Shouldn't I worry about failure of 11/2004?

SMART is fine.

I have tried different power connectors, no difference. Shouldn't I worry about failure of 11/2004?

That estimate of failure is based on the utilities best guess. Since HD manufacturers don't share details of SMART algorythms the firm making the utility had to guess what changes in the values meant and invent an estimate of failure time based on that guess. I would not worry about it until the Worst value approaches the threshold. The fact that the worst value is above the current value tells me that the drive has not revised the worst value since it's original initialization. I would guess the value initialized 253 but that WD uses 100 for the current value of a good drive. This is, however, only my guess. Smart values start high and count down. Some HD manufactures start at 255 others at 100.

Free

SMART is fine.

The " failure of 11/2004" is not a Smart value, it is a is function of the program that reports it, not of the actual SMART values.

So yes you should worry. You should worry that you are using a program that predicts a failure (based only on the smart values) when there is clearly no problem with said smart values.

you should look closer at what smart attributes said:

ID 4 and ID 9 attributes just say that you are approaching the limit of the manufacturer building parameters. this do not mean that your hdd will fail instant when the limit is reach.

you should worry more about the ID 7, attribute that is the "seek error count", that mean that your hdd have difficulties when tries to go to another track or cylinder where info r/w is needed. this could give an indication that you have problems with your head assembly or media, this is where the click's appear. the fact that the hdd work for a long time with no problem and gets badly only occasionally makes unpredictable the time of total failure so make BACK-UP at your data.