Sign in to follow this  
btb4

7k400 Available?

I thought they said samples were shipping - i.e. to system integrators like HP for compatibility/stability testing, shipping to wholesale distributors (so that they're available to vendors when they actually start selling the drives), and , if we're lucky, shipping to reviewers like SR to whet people's appetites. I wouldn't expect them to start showing up on places like newegg for at least a couple of weeks, perhaps several.

Probably that Japanese market who always seem to get everything first... *cough* bastards *grumble* ;)

*checking*

This is something but I don't know if the machine translated "Deskstar 7K400 are sold from 11 days" means they are sold in eleven days or the are sold on the 11th of March or something else. Oh well...

This is something[/url] but I don't know if the machine translated "Deskstar 7K400 are sold from 11 days" means they are sold in eleven days or the are sold on the 11th of March or something else. Oh well...

No it means how long they last once put into a PC :lol:

No it means how long they last once put into a PC  :lol:

;)

On a side note, it may indeed be sensible not to mount these too carelessly - I would expect a five-platter 7200 rpm drive to get as hot as your average 10k SCSI. Hitachi better include a warning note about appropriate cooling, otherwise these will fail rather quickly unless being mounted in a well-ventilated spot...

They seem to be available, we just received a 16 drive FC to SATA array that was populated with these. 6.4Tb in 3U is amazing - 2 years ago 4Tb in 4U was state of the art with the Baracude 180's!!!

The blowers are so loud one doesn't hear the drives so I can't comment how they've be for desktop use.

Sequential performance is on par with the same chassis model loaded with 250's from Maxtor or WD - in these boxes the controllers are the limiting factor at 160MB/s performance. Random is about 20% better then the 250's - I presume this is because the controller and drives support TCQ but I am trying to find out if this is actually enabled.

SG

Performance should be in line with the 7K250 in most benchmarks. Plus a little extra for capacity in SR Drivemarks. These drives are 7K250s with extra platters and a couple performance-unrelated features.

Additionally the 7K400 does not support TCQ. Neither did the 7K250. That feature was last featured on 180GXP drives unfortunately. Hitachi decided to do away with that IBM ATA legacy. You will see no mention of the feature in the specifications for either drive. 7K400 Product Page.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.