duraid

Heads Up: The Scsi Gods Are Back In Town!

New SCSI disks from Fujitsu!!

The MAT line tops out in a 300GB, 10000rpm model, with only 4 platters, not 5 like Hitachi's recently announced drive. It will start shipping in April and go on sale in May. It's maximum data rate is 132MB/sec. Fast.

The MAU line tops out in a 147GB, 15000rpm model! With a maximum data throughput of 147MB/sec. Not too shabby.

Both these disk lines will be available in Ultra 320 SCSI (68/80 pin) and Fibre Channel.

Fujitsu's PR

P.S. I've got no relationship with Fujitsu other than being a long time happy customer. For the past five years, they have consistently proven themselves fast and reliable. I'm happy, and can't wait to get my hands on some of these new drives!

For OEMs they say it'll be April for the new 10Ks and June for the 15Ks. Volume shipments shortly thereafter.

Of hard drive manufacturers are among the worst when it comes to sticking to release dates. I would expect September will be the earliest any of us will see the 15K's.

Remember the Atlas 10K II... It think it took more than a year from its announcement to appear in channels.

I have to admit I am pretty excited. Most of the SCSI drives I have used have been Fujitsu drives. Usually because they've always performed so well in SR's benches and they're competitively priced. I've never had one fail. Of course, I've never had any SCSI disks fail. My mother's computer boots off an original 2.1GB Quantum Atlas (that's right, the first Atlas! --one of the first 7200 RPM drives ever!).

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

I'm a fan of SCSI Fujitsu drives as well.

I'm somewhat surprised to see the 73.5GB drive has 1 platter/2 heads, the 147GB 3/5, and the 300 4/8. This is something I would have expected from IBM...

WOW!

Not that's a drive for video editing!

the STR alone saturates the 33/32-bit PCI slot

Sigh. The internal transfer rate is always much higher than the STR. Still, 100 MB/sec. STR for the 15K drive is quite possible. I'll take two MAUs if they are quiet. It is high time to ditch the damned WD740GD and the elderly 15k.3.

Bettis

It is high time to ditch the damned WD740GD and the elderly 15k.3

Some people have more money than sense :D

It is high time to ditch the damned WD740GD and the elderly 15k.3

Some people have more money than sense :D

Why do you say that? The 15k.3 was a great buy; the 36 GB model was relatively inexpensive. It has been in operation about 18 hours/day since November 2002, and paid for itself many times over. The 74 GB WD 10K drive was a disappointment, but I'm sure somebody will buy it for at least half the original price.

Now I want to upgarde the boot drive and intsall the orifginal parts ofthe system. So its another few dollars, no biggie. I alrady spent enough on teh CPU, and lats wekk, 4Gb RAM upgrade. Now trhe system will be usable for another 8 months.

B

The internal transfer rate is always much higher than the STR

oops missed the word *internal* :P

Why do you say that? The 15k.3 was a great buy; the 36 GB model was relatively inexpensive. It has been in operation about 18 hours/day since November 2002, and paid for itself many times over. The 74 GB WD 10K drive was a disappointment, but I'm sure somebody will buy it for at least half the original price.

dude a SSD isn't gonna make your life much happier either

what app do you have that is going to take advantage of it?

i ran a software SSD and it didn't impress me at all

Sure. Those new drives will be soooo much faster that you'll notice it...

Best upgrade you could do is a decent keyboard and typing lessons :D

If you retire the 15k3 you may send it to me. Thank you.