Davin

IBM Deskstar 120GXP

From the second half of 1999 to the first half of 2001, my favorite was Western Digital. I used a few WD drives but due to some mishavior (for lack of better word) of major distributors of WD HDDs in Seoul, I gave up WD after then.

400BB uses 20GB platters. 600BB uses 30GB platters. 800BB used first 26GB but later adopted new 40GB platters and 800JB also uses 40GB platters. 1000BB and 1000JB use 33GB platters and 1200BB and 1200JB use 40GB platters.

Of course, the higher the areal density is, the better the performance in general.

Therefore, 800JB and 1200JB are the best among WD drives, also the most expensive among the same size drives.

i see. thanks for the info on the plater info. is that the most important factor in determining the quality of the hard drive? or one of top important items? also, im looking for a nice little 40GB HDD and am debating between the 120GXP IBM and the 400BB WD, and suggestions? They are comparable in price so that really isnt a factor. I am just looking for performance and longevity since I am replacing a Maxtor 30GB now :roll: Thanks

Hm... 120GXP 40GB is good in performance and 400BB is simply too outdated.

If you are replacing an existing 30GB drive, I'd like to recommend you to wait for the next-generation 60GB platter drives coming from WD, Seagate, and Samsung. Maybe Maxtor will soon release some, too.

From the second half of 1999 to the first half of 2001, my favorite was Western Digital. I used a few WD drives but due to some mishavior (for lack of better word) of major distributors of WD HDDs in Seoul, I gave up WD after then.

400BB uses 20GB platters. 600BB uses 30GB platters. 800BB used first 26GB but later adopted new 40GB platters and 800JB also uses 40GB platters. 1000BB and 1000JB use 33GB platters and 1200BB and 1200JB use 40GB platters.

Of course, the higher the areal density is, the better the performance in general.

Therefore, 800JB and 1200JB are the best among WD drives, also the most expensive among the same size drives.

The newest WD400BB drives use 40 GB platters.

The newest WD400BB drives use 40 GB platters.

I see. That's a good news.

It's been quite a few months since the 120 GXP came out ... Can anyone who have had the drive for some time now post their comments on it ? If it still works well or have they started to produce weird sounds and such ... If you can post how long you have it and the size of the HD I would really appreciate it !! The price/GB ratio is too enticing but I am worried if I would be getting a bad deal out of it .... So any replies would really be appreciated !!

-=Va1or=-

:evil: I just got the IBM 120GXP 120gig drive last week & it lasted only 4 days! All of the sudden, the system locked up & crashed. Upon reboot I got a win2k error stating that a windows file was corrupted. All got worse from there. Now the drive just clicks loudly and beeps. and the BIOS does not recognize the drive. I'm sending this back & getting a WD. I also spoke to several Data Recovery companies who all said they are seeing these drives fail in droves and recommended that I not get a 120GXP replacement (kind of like a Dentist telling you not to eat candy ;-) ). Buyer Be Ware!!!!

Hi all,

Well i purchased a IBM 120GXP 80GB a few weeks ago and i really am not sure how long its gonna last.

It has started to make these clicking noises every now and again, not necesarrily under high loads. I have run DFT and it reports there is nothing wrong.

I don't leave my comp on 24/7 and usually stay within the 11/hours per day recommendation.

I suppose all i can do now is backup regulary and hope for the best!

Has anyone else had these rather horrbile clicking noises from their 120GXP??

My 5 month old 120GXP 80gb has been running fine. It only chirped 3-5 times a few months ago. No bad sectors, BSOD's, bearing whine or any other problems. I even stress the drive by defragmenting it often :D .

What I find extremely interesting is that in reading the demographics page for this site, most people trust IBM hard drives above all others? Is this an old thing that is no longer done, perhaps right before the 75GXP issues started cropping up? Just a curiosity. On another note however, I set my girlfriend up with a 75GXP RAID-0 Array for video editing that has run 24/7 since Feburary 2001, and hasn't failed yet, even through constant defragmenting, and a few OS migrations, which is surprising me, for sure!

Note: I personally run a WD1200JD, since my 1000BB died after 1 and 1/2 years of service, which was surprising. I was able to get all my data off before it croaked due to the SMART function warning me, then 2 days later, wham.

Most people visiting this forum due to the problems with their IBM hard drive (120 GB hd for specifice). I got one almost a year ago and using it as my second hd on my home PC and never had any trouble. May be I should say I use it for video editing. I fill it up (120 Gb datas) for a few weeks/months then dump and fill it up with another load of datas again. It has never felt me, yet. About the noise levels, I can say it prety quite. Occationally it makes some kind of chirping noise when it try to pull those big video file out. But I would say the PC fans bother me more (very quite fan too, actually). Well, just a positive note for the one who think about buying it. I'm looking for a bigger HD and may go for the new 180 GB. Unless if the price is not reasonable enough compare to the WD which is always cheaper. The things is I have not been able to do my own research on the WD, yet.

I bought the 40gb gxp last february. 6 months in use it started this very loud whine. now, 10 months after purchase I can't stand it. and my microphones in my studio can stand it even less! I'm getting the barracuda V 60GB. yes, I'll suffer performance-wise, albeit not much, but I'll be sane. that's a fair tradeoff.

hope my 80gb 120gxp will stay workable for some months more though, before I replace it with a 240gb barracuda VII

ibm deskstar 120GXP had just as much problems as the 60 and 75GXP. I got a friend who has a 120GXP keeps losing files, running chkdsk every time, finding 1000 things wrong with the file system, even after proper shutdowns and reboots. i currently own a 180GXP 30.7 G Hitachi deskstar, and its super quiet, and fast. I think hitachi turned the drive problem around, as their RMA service doesnt take nearly as long as IBM's did.if i were you get rid of the IBM and the WD drives, they are nothing but trouble and if you buy them your asking for a headache/

Hello. I was searching on the Internet for information about my hard disk an

IBM - Deskstart 120GXP – 80GB, who has a problem. Suddenly, yesterday my pc automatically “restart†and a message appears inform me that “master hard disk failâ€. It gives me 2 options;

1.Press F1 to continue

2.Press DEL to enter BIOS

If I press F1 windows are loading and everything is OK, like never something happen. A friend of mine told me about some disk check tools about the hard disk…. Do you anything? Or it is something worse?

thanks

You should really post this sort of question in the Computing forum.

That said, it could be a loose or faulty IDE cable, the drive could be starting to fail, or it may just be a random glitch that won't happen again for several years.

Given that you suspect that there may be something wrong with your hard disk, I strongly recommend that you take a backup of all your essential data - documents, emails, any of your own work stored on the disk, and anything you can't easily replace from other media or the internet.

Put it on another hard disk at the very least, or preferably back it up onto CD.

Once you've done that, you can start to look for the cause - check your cables are all firmly seated and in good condition, run the IBM drive diagnostics (download from their website). If it doesn't do it again, you can assume it was a glitch and forget about it. If it does it again, you might want to think about retiring the drive gracefully before it dies completely, taking all your data with it. At worst.

:angry::angry: I have had a bad experience with my 120GXP 100GB Drive that I purchased from Fry's Electronics in September 2002. It would make perioding sustained whining noises and one hot Arizona September 2003 day, the drive had a power glitch in the middle of the whining noise with a clickety-click noise too. Due to the power glich, my file copy was interuppted giving me a cannot write file to disk error, and this made the DeathStar (definitely not a DeskStar) 120GXP Unreliable. I took the drive back to Fry's Electronics and they replaced it with a so far been great Maxtor 6Y120L0 120GB Hard Drive. My advice to 120GXP owners is back up all of your work, and if the drive fails, dont get another Hitachi/IBM replacement buy a Maxtor 6YxxxL0, 6YxxxP0, or 7YxxxP0 drive because you may experience problems again later with a Hitachi/IBM drive replacement. :angry::angry: