Sign in to follow this  
dextroz

New Ram Hangs My Acer Laptop

Hi, I have an Acer Centrino 1.3GHz laptop with 256MB RAM. I recently bought some RAM 256MB from Digi4all.com which is premium grade for $42. When I put the RAM in my laptop (TM 800XCI) the machine identifies the RAM and runs okay for about 5 minutes and then suddenly hangs. I am running WindowsXP.

Here are the specifications of the RAM chip I bought:

32X8, 200pins soDIMMS, DDR 266MHz

What I have mailed to me is:

WMA 256MB DDR 266MHz, 2.5CL 0311271578

The chips has 8 chips on EACH side with a total of 16 chips each chip labelled - WMA DDR16M8-65 0348

I though that I ordered 32x8 so there should be a total of 8 chips on it with each one being 32Megs? Also this is Premium Memory I ordered from them! I am very dissapointed with them now.

Please advice where or what is possibly wrong.

Thanks.

The chips has 8 chips on EACH side with a total of 16 chips each chip labelled - WMA DDR16M8-65 0348

I though that I ordered 32x8 so there should be a total of 8 chips on it with each one being 32Megs? Also this is Premium Memory I ordered from them! I am very dissapointed with them now.

I was also wondering if this logic holds true about the number of

memory IC's on the PCB.

Hi,

As a last attempt, and before RMA, try to swap the sticks position.. i.e if you have 2 ram slots, sometimes switching slots for each stick helps... this happened to me with a via based mobo a while ago.

Regards

FTC

try to swap the sticks position

I would have tried that but one of the RAM slots is 'internal' and I don't know how to access it. If someone does know it - then please let me know and I will try it.

Thanks.