stealthzyxel

Ddr Ram Question, Asap!

Okay, I am planning to build a computer, but I am confused about dual channel ram and how it works. I am planning to get the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Nforce 2 motherboard with the Athlon Xp 2500+. Descriptions say that the mb has a full capacity of 3 gb of RAM, but i have read that for ddr to work, it has to have 2 of the slots filled to equal the third slot, so x+x=y, but how do you get 3 gb max? (i dont plan on getting 3 but j/w) I want to get 512 pc3200 (400) and later upgrade to 1gb but how should i do this: like 2 x 256's now and make them ddr and get 512 later to move 2 x 256's to slot 1's and put 512 in slot 2 or what or can i just get 1 x 512 right now (will that have ddr, i think not, tell me so??) and later 512.. (*note that the ram upgrade will be in like a year).

Well thanks though, btw, what is the best brand that is reliable but still fast (3200 ddr) i'm thinking of crucial (btw i'm on a budget).

don't worry about dual channel RAM

the performance isn't incredible

who ever said you can have 3GB of dual channel RAM?

as for 3GB of RAM... your performance will decrease at that amount

Ddr Ram Question, Asap!, DDR RAM HELP, ASAP!
(*note that the ram upgrade will be in like a year)

I think this is what Lost meant about

It is really rude to cry wolf

Dual channel RAM does not exist. dual channel memory controllers OTOH do. If you have a discrete vidcard you shouldn't really care about dual channel for Athlons - the performance difference is little. Only when using the onboard nVidia graphics will dual channel make a real difference. If you want 512 MB, buy a single stick. Leaves you with more upgrade options in the future.

DDR is not the same as dual channel.

Just buy a single stick of whatever you need and don't worry. Buy another when you upgrade.

Dual channel is interesting for a P4, not an Athlon.

Buy Kingston.