Sign in to follow this  
btb4

Pata Raptor?

How "integrated" is the bridge on the Raptors? Would it be possible to bypass the bridge and use the drive as a PATA drive?

At the moment I am not concerning myself with advisable, just gone from contemplating my navel to contemplating this....

i think it would make far more sense to pay the $10-$20 and get another bridge if you wanted to run this on a P-ATA controller.. that way you dont ruin your 5 year warranty.

Wiser for sure, but not as much fun....

I think the tricky part would be determining the pin-out for the pata connection. Probably by finding the bridge chip and studying the IO interface. Tacking leads onto SMT pins is really not fun, but it might not even break the SATA interface if you change your mind.

Of course, this is a really bad idea and you chouldn't do it ;)

Comparing the "ouside" - visible portion of a WD800JD and the Raptor the boards appear fairly simular - up to the bridge. I'll probably - um, that is hypothetically - remove some boards and see what the undersides show. Think the boards can be swapped? Wonder what a WD740JD 10K would do....

Comparing the "ouside" - visible portion of a WD800JD and the Raptor the boards appear fairly simular - up to the bridge.  I'll probably - um, that is hypothetically - remove some boards and see what the undersides show.  Think the boards can be swapped?  Wonder what a WD740JD 10K would do....

I'm pretty sure there's some drive-specific firmware on the boards that you'd want to keep. If you can identify the bridge chip, get it's part# and do a search for the wiring spec, then get the wiring spec for PATA and see if all the pins are accounted for, you might have a chance.

It's a shame none of the people who actually would know want to get into this. My EE knowledge left me years ago.

Think the boards can be swapped?

Well 5 years ago I would have said probably but now it's mostlikely NO beacuse each drive stores paramaters in the card and probably a different firmware...

Comparing the "ouside" - visible portion of a WD800JD and the Raptor the boards appear fairly simular - up to the bridge.  I'll probably - um, that is hypothetically - remove some boards and see what the undersides show.  Think the boards can be swapped?  Wonder what a WD740JD 10K would do....

I don't think the board would physically fit, let alone work properly. A 10K drive board probably uses a different driver and read channel chip; hooking it up to a 7200 rpm drive is not something I'd recommend. ;)

The physical stuff would be straightforward, all you need is to identify the status and data lines going into the Marvell chip and route them out to a custom interface. That's a bit of soldering but I have done a lot worse than that.

The tricky part though would be the firmware and yes, there is a good chance to get the drive to work but it'll probably run like a Maxtor AV7850

B)

Since the PATA controller on the Raptor is only intended (designed?) to hook into a SATA bridge, it might run at a higher speed (150 MB/s) than the PATA spec dictates, and won't necessarily have the ability to auto-negotiate down to lower speeds. It doesn't really need to conform to the PATA spec at all, though I expect the differences, if any, are minor.

Would trace lengths and resistances come into play for this sort of hack? Not to mention signal noise/degradation. You'd probably struggle to get good speed and reliability out of this. But I'm still curious as to whether it could be done. :)