brwmogazos

Spare 15k.3 What Can I Use It4?just Swap File?or?

hi guys.

i havent been able to sold my spare seagate cheetah 15K.3 drive so it is sitting on top of my desk since christmass really....

Its a 15K.3 U320 68pin just 18GB.

At the moment what i am using is:

Adaptec 29160N U160on an asus P4C800 E deluxe 32bit pci :P

Maxtor Atlas 15K 36gb 68pin U320 as my BOOT drive

Maxtor Atlas 10K III 36GB 68pin U160 as my MP3 Drive

SATA DiamondMax 9 Maxtor 200GB for Storage+Downloads.

So i got 3 hard drives in my rig and a spare one sitting out of my pc.

This drive is very quiet etc and i am thinking of keeping it rather than selling it for 1/4th of its original price...

I need to find a use for it though.

Its only 18GB. Should i use it as another storage drive?

OR should i use it to keep my Swap File in it?

What i always wanted is my rig to be as more responsive as possible.

i have got a 2.8Intel CPU @ 3.9Ghz for 24/7 use and 1GB of Bh 5 ram @ 2 2 2 5 timings.

So give me some ideas on what should i use it 4 and if it would be wise to waste?-use the drive for just swap file.

Will my controller be able to handle all 3 scsi drives?

thank you in advance

You havn't been able to sell a 15.3?!? People rape and pilliage for them over here, they're so difficult to get second hand.

They're also £50 more than a similar capacity Atlas 15k or Fujitsu 15k.

Recommendations,

1: Trade in the HDD for another couple GB of RAM. Disable the "pagefile" (xp has no swap file).

2: Create a 2GB partition on the inner edge. Use for pagefile. Use other 16GB for scratch space.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Recommendations,

1:  Trade in the HDD for another couple GB of RAM.  Disable the "pagefile" (xp has no swap file).

2:  Create a 2GB partition on the inner edge.  Use for pagefile.  Use other 16GB for scratch space.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Thanks for the tips mate.

Someone is now interested on my drive so i may just sell it.

If i disable page file and leave my configuration as it is will i notive a performance boost or something or everything is going to be the same as it was?

Would it be wise to move my pagefile in the Atlas 10K III which is about 3/4 full with mp3s? or should i leave the pagefile in the Atlas 15K?OR should i disable it as you already mentioned and have no pagefile at all?

By having a pagefile on every drive, you are allowing the OS to use the one that is most available. Be sure to set the files to a static size (set maximum and minimum sizes the same), or you may have fragmentation issues.

ddrueding, this isn't exactly true... if the data is paged out to a specific file (drive), then it has to be paged in from the same location. I'm also not sure that Windows does a calcualtion for least busy disk to page out to.

brwmogazoes, if you aren't using your current 1GB of RAM and aren't paging, then using this for swap or selling it to get more RAM won't change your performance. Have you watched the committed bytes in perfmon or task manager? I don't usually go over 640 MB RAM, and that's with three taskbars full of apps + 1 game.

Even still, if you aren't paging, using a RAM drive avails you not.

Ah, but taking RAM away from the system might cause you page...then you'll be happy you have that RAMdisk to page to! :o

So, who's smart now :D

or u can set the page file to a ram drive

This requires (ok, not really) a swapfile and an OS without access to the RAM in question (windows 9X). XP has a page file, and is fully capable of handling 4GB of RAM via PAExtensions.. Swap files on RAM drives were only useful to make up for the shortcommings of earlier OS's.

Upgrade to 2GB of RAM, disable the page file, and see what happens. Having the page file on multiple disks can help a bit, but remember that the file is not stripped, it is done in largish chunks. So you may not be able to realize the full benefits depending on your usage.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I need to find a use for it though

I'll be happy to keep it in a safe place for you. I won't even charge you for it.

By having a pagefile on every drive, you are allowing the OS to use the one that is most available. Be sure to set the files to a static size (set maximum and minimum sizes the same), or you may have fragmentation issues.

that doesn't really apply here, as his 15K.3 would always be 'not busy'

Hi guys...i am an overclockers myself...so sorry i aint foccused and i have really little knowledge for pagefiles...hard drives etc.

I honestly dont fully understand some of your post :P sorry for that.

so far i can understand that i have to try a few things to check for myself what makes my rig feel more reposponsive.

Let me get into more detail:

most of the time i am web surfing running PTC to download my torrents.They do use loads of ram from what i remember.

At this moment i am only downloading one file so theres little hdd activity i guess and ram usage.

ctrl+alt+del->performance then i get the following data:

Physical mem 1037276

Available 721...

system cache 777...

commit charge

total 252...

limit 252....

peak359...

kernel memory

total 68...

paged 36...

non paged 31...

PF usage 246mb

432 threads

33processes

My page file is set on my boot drive after reinstalling windows XP PRO SP1

and is 1536-3072

Seems a bit big to me...isnt it?

Should i remove my page file from this drive or set it to 1536-3072 or something else? arround 7GB used and 27.3 free on this Atlas 15K

then my other scsi drive the Atlas 10K III has no page file and 26.3GB used and 7.87free

Should i move the page file into this drive or not and how big should it be?

My last drive is the SATA DIamondmax which is always used for downloads and has 145gb used and 44GB free also has no paging file

Now you got more detail on my rig.I rarely play games nowadays...its surfing the net and dowloading with my Uni ethernet (yep its v fast) however in the future its gonna be buy buy to these downloads as i got a 56K home so more its gonna be gaming...

Anyways

Sorry if were turning cyrcles and cyrcles but i am a HDD newbie.

Could you tell me how and what exactly to do then in a bit more detail if you want me to try to?

Open up perfmon and check out the things you listed above... then load every application you can think of, open big files in Photoshop, etc. and see what you r total commit charge and PF usage are. Add 100 MB and round up to the nearest 256 MB and set your pagefile min & max size to that figure. Alternatively, ensure you have comfortably more than that in physical RAM and try disabling your pagefile.

The advantage of disabling your pagefile is that you eliminate Windows XP's unnecessary paging. This may make your system feel snappier, especially when returning to apps that have been sitting idle in the background for a while.

Unfortunately, some apps (like photoshop) don't like running without any pagefile at all, so try running all your apps with the pagefile disabled, and see if you get any errors. If not, great! If so, you can either enable the pagefile whenever you're going to use that app, or just enable the pagefile permanently.

If the above messing around results in you deciding that you need a pagefile, you'd probably benefit from putting the pagefile on the 15K.3, freeing up your other drives to service other requests. Make the pagefile fixed size (min=max) ,and you can use the rest of the 15K.3 for other general storage.

The pagefile defaults are pretty ridiculous for today's systems. Just set it equal to RAM. You will never see much paging with that much memory.

Please note that "PF Usage" is the total commit charge (not the page file usage, as many think).

Total commit charge is all allocated memory, in use or not, physical or not.

There is no need to "optimise" the size of paging files, as long as you have enough for your purposes. Windows will not use more than is necessary.