simonv

Maxtor Diamondmaxplus9 Failing Heavily

I've heard that a bad sector can occur if the disk is writing and then loses power... I dont know if this is a file system thing or a disk thing... can someone confirm?

A TI chip document titled Servo/MSC Product Line User's Guide explains how disks handle power loss.

When 5/12V goes below ATX specs, the write amp is disabled to prevent scribbling on the disk as the heads retract. This will cause a bad sector.

LoL, you must hate those SiS chipsets... The last 2 motherboards I've bought were based off SiS chipsets and I'm really happy with the chipsets and the motherboards in general. Excellent I/O performance, great features.

true, once they got into series production.... I guess I got stuck too many times with their prototypes / reference systems that were buggy as hell with drivers that barely qualified as such :rolleyes:

The 645 series was great, though but after they started packing everything into the 963 southbridge it took a long time to get the drivers straight.

Not that this is unusual, on my mainsystem based on the AMD640 chipset they still haven't been able to get the drivers to work ... after 7 years.. :P

(oh and I am a wanderer... often I am just too busy to go anywhere .. :) )

I, too would agree with blakerwry.  You must have something going on electrically or mechanically.  It is extremely unlikely that repeated early failures have anything to do with drive quality, but rather a problem with handling and/or the power supply, even though the original poster doesn't suspect the power supply.  My DM+9 runs at 26C with a fan blowing right over it, and it's fast and silent. And I've owned well over a dozen Maxtor drives with no failures, most of which are still in use.

I'd like to chime in on this.

I have ~16 160GB Maxtors, sorry can't rem the model off the top of my head, but the first 160GB model Maxtor came out with (~10/01). One fails at a rate of about every four months, maybe six. I consider them solid.

I _HAD_ ~24 80GB 98196H8 Maxtors, 20 of those also bought 10/01. At one point they were failing at an utterly ridiculous rate of TWO PER MONTH, bad enough that I was doing multiple-drive RMAs. (I'd never RMAed more than one drive at a time before or since...)

All these drives have run under the same conditions, the same PSUs (I switched 'em around, and the 160s didn't start dropping like flies), same cables (swapped as well).

The 'handling' issue seems a crock to me as the replacements didn't fare very well, either.

Not to mention the drives originally came from Maxtor anyway...

Sorry, but Maxtor before and after have made some fine quality products that I would recommend.

But sometimes they also make utter stinker.

I'm still shocked with the failure rate I was experiencing that I never lost a raid array.

I'm still under the impression that most drive failures are due to bad transportation, and poor integration methods.

I use drives from a single supplier at home, and have had very very few failures. The last death was a 30Gb 75GXP. All drives since have been replaced long before they had a chance to die (usually when 12 months old).

At work, all drives come from a different supplier who also packages drives well. Only drives that fail are Maxtor's DM+8/541DX/Fireball 3 - usually due to the motor control chip exploding. Seems to be a problem with the thin format Maxtors. The DM+9 and Fireball 16 drives so far seem fine.

Anyhow, I've purchased Maxtors from places ranging from computer exhibiton stalls (which would definitely have undergone quite a bit of 'handling'), to stores. I've had no problems with Maxtor yet (did I mention that even my 2 20GBs ATA66 run perfectly and they've been running 24/7 since 1999?)... I've bought IBM hard drives from the same stores which I got my Maxtors from; they all end up with worn out bearings after a week or two of 15-hour/day usage and eventually end up with clicks of death. I still don't see how so many people have so many problems with Maxtor.

I don't have as much volume experience with harddrives as many people on this forums, but I have noticed that over the years as their capacity has increasead manifold, their reliability in general has dropped too... it's sad to see my 1.5GB, 2GB, 4GB, 10GB hdd's still chuggin along after almost a decade of toiling whereas these new miserable POS drives (with 1 year warranty that too!) failing left-right-and-centre, almost force you to pray before you install them.

And believe it or not - do you know what the drives <10GB are used for in India?

As 'floppy' disks which you put in your pocket and walk around town in 80F to exchange your collection of DiVX B) Broadband in India is a misnomer so you still swap stuff the tradiational way.

Well... just my 2C (read rant) - nothing constructive about the post though...

It's the 98196H8 model that's junk...

The 100GB replacemnts they've RMAed me before have been flawless, and some other Maxtor 80GB model is also flawless...

But I am convinced that the 98196H8 model had some flaw...

I've had two DM-9 120gb drives fail in less than one year. This is the only sata drive I have connected to the P4C800-D MB. I've been trying to find information on a history of this problem but I have not found any yet. When the last drive crashed six months ago, I replaced everything in my box including the 300w PS. I've got great cooling in the case and have three other hd's that I have not had a problem with. I'm looking for some ideas. I'm also looking for a way to possibly recover some of the data on this last crash. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

I'm sorry if I say this but at least for me Maxtor is the most unreliable hard drive in the market. Yeah! They have big sale every month from some deal sites and I bought a lot of them. The thing is I don't use them at all not and I just sold them on fleabay for profits. I bought a DM9 160GB back in Aug. 2003 and a DM9 80GB two month ago. Both were dead in a cool morning when I opened my rig. They are being sent back the Maxtor for replacement. Maxtor not any more! Period!

Maxtor 11.5 GB, purchased in 1997, sold in 2003, no problems

Maxtor 60 GB, purchased in 2001, sold in 2004, no problems

Maxtor 160 GB, purchased in 2003, was DOA, RMA'ed, got a new drive in 3 days, works perfectly ever since

Maxtor 120 GB, purchased in 2003, used heavily, no problems, still works perfectly

Maxtor 160 GB, purchased in 2004, so far, so good.

IBM Deskstar 80GB, P.O.S., DOA

IBM Deskstar XXGB, died in 2 months, got click of death

Western Digital 20 GB, died in 6 months

White Label 15 GB, died in 3 months.

Just what I need to hear. I'm planning on buying an 80gb maxtor diamondmax9 with the 8mb cache in my next computer in a month or two. Hopefully that one will serve me well and won't poop out on me. I'll probobly take my current 20gb wd drive and use it as backup. Can never be too safe ;)

I personally still trust Maxtor the most... Even though their Quantum-design-based D740X's were a bit noisy (worn out bearings) they're still reliable etc,. Their DM9 use FDB's so they're really quiet yet reliable.