Sign in to follow this  
qawsedrftgzxcvb

Anoyone Seen The Passion?

None of my Jewish friends were offended but only few of them went.

Is it good? offensive?

I don't want to see it if it offends too many of my Jewish friends (out of respect).

I usually like to watch movies that cause a stir, so I can see for myself what the fuss is over. But I doubt I will see this movie though, I've already read the book and it wasn't anything to write home about. ;)

The Passion has received a R16 rating here (in New Zealand), to the dismay of many catholic schools that were planning school outings to the movie.

Is it good? offensive?

I don't want to see it if it offends too many of my Jewish friends (out of respect).

Is this the movie where Jews decide to crucify Jesus?

Was Jesus a Jew or a Christian?

why is it called the passion?

should I go see the movie?

Jesus was a Jew ethnically, but he couldn't have been a Christian, because "Christian" means follower of Christ, and since Jesus was the Christ, He couldn't have been a follower of Himself.

The term 'passion' is a non-scriptural term used by some to describe the agony and pain of Jesus' death on the cross.

Personally, I prefer to think that the true 'passion' of Jesus was His obedience to the Father.

The leaders of the Jews decided to put Jesus to death because He upset their apple-cart, He was not the messiah they had hoped for. They wanted a blood stained leader who would throw off the yoke of the Romans and lead Israel to military victory. Jesus instead said 'turn the other cheek' and 'pay taxes to Caesar'. He said that the kingdom of God was 'inside you', i.e. in your heart and in your mind, dependent on your actions, thought, and behavior. His kingdom was not a physical temporal kingdom, but rather a spiritual kingdom.

He also had the temerity to challenge the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, who assumed that their own religiosity was beyond question.

Waterdog

Is it good? offensive?

ahah Smack, you forget something:

Was Jesus black? :rolleyes:

Anyway in Mexico all the "Jesus" statues are ..... black. For them Jesus was black.

Now what was the color of Judas? :D

OK flick, could have used a bit more action - maybe some sword fights or something? Based on the hype I was a bit disappointed, esp. about the supposed "realism". I was hoping for more pestilential boil-ridden iron-age squalor.

Since it was so Hollywood, I think it would have been much better if a few of the director's strengths had been better exercised.

Imagine:

<Jesus on the cross still on the ground awaiting being hoisted into position. A black-leather clad Pilot approaches and tosses a small metallic object to the supine Son of God. Pilot speaks:>

Pilot: A man in good general health lasts two to three days before asphyxiating on the cross. The ropes that bind you are Centurion-grade high-cellulose military hemp. Due to the restriction of your dexterity from the nails in your hands, I estimate that with this sharpened bit of bronze it will take you three to four days to cut through the ropes. Cut off your hand at the wrist in maybe two....

Hmm, yeah, OK, once the tendons go, how could he keep cutting? Still, not sure if functional anatomy was an ancient Roman strength.

Is it good? offensive?

ahah Smack, you forget something:

Was Jesus black? :rolleyes:

Anyway in Mexico all the "Jesus" statues are ..... black. For them Jesus was black.

Now what was the color of Judas? :D

I thought the black Jesus was Tupac Amaru Shakur.

I won't really care what my Jewish friends will say about the movie, as I wouldn't care what my German friends would say if I watched a documentary about WW2 war crimes.

Facts are facts: Jews crucified Christ back in 33AD as Germans baked Jews in World War II. I don't recall any German outcries when "Schindler's List " was shown.

I just believe some people are over-sensitive. Every race, nation, country, ethnicity, group has its own skeletons in the closet.

Facts are facts: Jews crucified Christ  back in 33AD

Um, no, that would have been the Romans that did that...funny though, I don't see any Italians protesting the movie.

Um, no, that would have been the Romans

Do you say the same about the guys who gives the poison injection to a death-penalty prisoner?

Jews wanted Christ dead. And got solicitated the Romans to do it. As it happens in every occupied territory, even today's Iraq. :)

Facts are facts: Jews crucified Christ  back in 33AD as Germans baked Jews in World War II. I don't recall any German outcries when "Schindler's List " was shown.

I dont think the jews did in Christ at all...

You have to realize that the bible wasnt even started to be compiled until 70 to 90 years AFTER the death of christ. So its widely believed that the authors put in that bit for the ROMAN audience, so as not to blame the Romans, whom the christians hoped to recruit into the faith... There is no other case where any roman govenour ever allowed a mob to grant any man clemency -the romans after all put a low value on human life- and ruled with an iron fist. So to be historicly accurate, I dont think that occured at all.

I dont think the jews did in Christ at all...

You have to realize that the bible wasnt even started to be compiled until 70 to 90 years AFTER the death of christ. So its widely believed that the authors put in that bit for the ROMAN audience, so as not to blame the Romans, whom the christians hoped to recruit into the faith... There is no other case where any roman govenour ever allowed a mob to grant any man clemency -the romans after all put a low value on human life- and ruled with an iron fist. So to be historicly accurate, I dont think that occured at all.

Your assertion that the Bible (read gospels) wasn't compiled until 70-90 years after Christ is said with much authority, but little evidence.

Scholarship on the issue is much divided. Here is a quote from the Journal of Biblical Studies to show the prejudice that dominates the field.

"Matthew and Luke must have been written after Titus’ siege of Jerusalem because they allude to it."

The JBS flatly states that we know that Matthew and Luke were written after AD 70 because they allude to the destruction of Jerusalem (which occurred in AD 70).

Here is the key point: They discount the possibility that the gospels were actually written before the destruction of the city and the reference to its destruction was prophecy, i.e. inspired revelation from God.

So, can't you see, the bias of the commentators that the Bible was written by men and not by God influences their dating of the Bible.

Just because history does not record for us when 'any roman govenor ever allowed a mob to grant any man clemency' does not mean that it didn't happen. I suggest you read a relevant text on the subject (like Michael Grant's The Jews in the Roman World) before you announce your opinion to the world. The province of Judea was a political timebomb, a dangerous juggling act for a second rate govenor like Pilate and negotiation with the Jews was a very reasonable thing to do.

It makes sense that Pilate would negotiate with the Jews in an attempt to free an innocent man, but when backed against the wall, because of political expediency he was forced to concede to the demands of the Jews.

Please don't use the phrase 'historically accurate' when making suppositions you can't support.

Waterdog

Facts are facts: Jews crucified Christ  back in 33AD as Germans baked Jews in World War II. I don't recall any German outcries when "Schindler's List " was shown.

I just believe some people are over-sensitive. Every race, nation, country, ethnicity, group has its own skeletons in the closet.

The problem is that the Nazi's (and a large part of the German population)

justified what they did to the Jews based largely on their belief that the Jews

were complicit in the crucifiction of Jesus. Nevermind the illogic of blaming

men, women, and children over 50 generations removed from the original

accusation.

Fact is, we have documentary footage, recognized locations, eyewitness and survivor testimony, and the reports of the Nazi heirarchy to prove the

existence of the holocaust. On the other hand, we have the

equivalent of ecclesiastical hearsay.

The concern is that some poeple are going to come away from this movie

with pre-concieved notions of blaming "Jews" for all thier problems. That

these are the same type people that will always look for a convenient

scapegoat, and that it does not reflect the majority of viewers of this film,

does not make it any less controversial to present those ideas in such

an emotionally laden framework.

wieder nicht.

from what i've heard, unfortunately, i won't be interested. i wanted to see the reason why christians believe what they believe, and why they view jesus' sacrifice as an actual sacrifice. it sounds as if the movie shows the results and not the reasons.

Actor Jim Caviezel, who plays Jesus in Mel Gibson's controversial film "The Passion of Christ" was struck by lightning during shooting.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/24/gibson.passion/

Apparently God's not a fan...

Michelini was again carrying an umbrella, and standing next to Caviezel on top of a hill, the magazine said.

HHMMMMMM..... What could >happen< when you carry a conducting object at high altitudes and point it towards a cloudy 'charged' sky.... I wonder... ;)

HHMMMMMM..... What could >happen< when you carry a conducting object at high altitudes and point it towards a cloudy 'charged' sky.... I wonder... ;)
When you do it while filming a movie with a purely religious theme, you could sell more tickets at the boxoffice... if you do it knowingly.... that's what I call being committed to your job...

When you do it while filming a movie with a purely religious theme, you could sell more tickets at the boxoffice... if you do it knowingly.... that's what I call being committed to your job...

I guess you're right not many people care for physics anyway.

I would just like to point out while yes, according to the writings it was jews who insisted that Jesus be crucified; it wasn't exactly like all the world's jewish leaders at the time got together and decided he should die. You can't blame an entire race for the actions of a small group of it's people.

yes, it was very graphic....and very disturbing. But worthwhile.

-Chris