Sign in to follow this  
pesinn

Should I Use Onboard Raid Or Buy A Controller?

I just bought my self 2 Western Digital 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor drives and i am going to put them on raid. And i wanted to know what you think about onboard raid or should i get my self a controller, then what controller do you recomend?? I have asus P4C800-e deluxe mobo. my spec is detailed below

Intel P4 - 3.0Ghz w/HT ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe 550w Antec power supply

2x 512 XMS Corsair ddr 500 2x 256 XMS Corsair ddr 500

Seagate Cheetah 15k.3 36GB U320 Adaptec 29160 SCSI Controller

200GB WD 8mb buffer HD 250GB WD 8mb buffer HD SATA

Ati 9800 pro 256mb Built by ATI Creative Sounblaster audigy 2

Creative Inspire 5.1 5300 Plextor 48/24/48A Sony (DRU510A)

Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A Thermaltake AquariusII 19" Sony Trinitron G420

Use the onboard ICH5-R controller, as it's not limited by the PCI bus...

Any add-in RAID card is going to limited by the PCI bus on your mobo... (ie capped at around 100MB/s, which those 2 drives in RAID0 can easily do in STR).

Sorry for the confusion here, but if it is ICH5 then it is off the Southbridge, so how does that end up interacting with the PCI bus? Versus CSA?

Sorry for the confusion here, but if it is ICH5 then it is off the Southbridge, so how does that end up interacting with the PCI bus?  Versus CSA?

CSA - is a connection directly into the MCH... and is treated just as another bus, (which IIRC uses the same communication protocol as PCI).

The ICH5 is the southbridge and connects to the MCH via a 266MB/s link. Any item that is part of the ICH then has access to the MCH via the 266MB/s link, where as anything on the PCI bus, must go through the PCI controller, which is limited to 133MB/s on the PCI bus...

Now any device that is part of the ICH5, acts as a normal PCI device (is accessible via the normal PCI I/O ports) but is not connection bandwidth limited like a normal PCI device.

(I've been reading a lot about the ICH2/4's chipsets lately, haven't got the ICH5 info yet, but it shouldn't be to different).