zenjitsuman

Dual Channel Scsi Controller For Jaz Drive & U160.

I am moving my external Jaz drive from my old laptop to my new Athlon 64 system. I will be using the 2gb removables for digital photo storage. I would like to get a dual channel card for later addition of :angry: u160 components. Can someone give me advise on a reliable inexpensive controller card.

Going the Scsi only route is out of consideration since we have already purchased the 74gb Raptor Sata for fast boot-up and apps loading and a 200gb ultra Ata Seagate with 8mb cache and fluid bearings for multimedia digital files.

Something from LSI is usually good: Something like this, for example. A 64bit would be more. Though if you are not using the adapter for your main storage you could probably go single-channel quite safely.

Though much maligned on this board, most folks actually have had very good experiences with Adaptec, the old standby. We use very many of their boards.

Perhaps the smallest of the makers, but having something of a "boutique" air of quality and certainly preferred by many is Atto. We have two of their boards, and though they have performed well I would say that they are not quite as well supported or kept up to date driver-wise as the larger companies.

I checked the LSI logic link , thanks , but it says that the legacy port is for internal and the Jaz drive I have is external.

Do you know whether they make the same type controller with the legacy fast scsi port external. The removable 2gb Jaz drive is just perfect for downloading digital files and mp3 and labeling the slideshow and music .

I presume that you need an external 50-pin D-sub for the Jaz drive. Without a converter, I doubt that you'll find anything in the Ultra160 arena.

I presume that you need an external 50-pin D-sub for the Jaz drive.  Without a converter, I doubt that you'll find anything in the Ultra160 arena.

I tend to agree, but the internal can usually be fitted with a cable and an external connector in a case blank to permit connecting external devices - just as with on-board SCSI.

Buy for cheap Something Really Ancient like an Adaptec 2940U or new an Adaptec 2904CD. Both have internal and external 50-pins connectors, the 2940U is bootable, the 2904CD is not.

What do you think of this. An LSI Logic LSI-21040 with a 68 to 50 pin adapter. The controller will detect that the Jaz drive is a legacy standard. I will still have an available U160 channel for getting scsi drive if a real bargain comes along.

What do you think of this.  An LSI Logic LSI-21040 with a 68 to  50 pin adapter.  The controller will detect that the Jaz drive is a legacy standard. I will still have an available U160 channel for getting scsi drive if a real bargain comes along.

I'd try it first. It will probably work, though you may need an in-line terminator. Jaz drives can be fussy. Understand that any channel where you connect a Jaz will slow down to Jaz-compliant standard. It has been too long since I've used a Jaz to recall what that is. Unless you are short slots, you are probably better off getting a cheap adapter to run your Jaz and save the U160/320 stuff for when/if you get a drive. As long as you stick with the same manufacturer you are probably OK.