Bar81

Need Help With 8x Burner And Firewire Enclosure

Okay, I currently have the Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe motherboard http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4S800...Deluxe&langs=09 with the integrated VIA VT6307 IEEE 1394 controller

Recently I purchased the following Firewire enclosure (Oxford 911 chipset) for my Plextor PX-708A 8x burner:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-146-019&depa=0

Problem is that when I try to burn at 8x it takes longer than it should - closer to maybe 6x speed - burning 3.6Gig took about 11 min

Any ideas as to what's going on as I thought the Firewire would have enough bandwidth?

IIRC, Firewire should have enough bandwidth. Depending on your burning app, you can view the number of times "overburn" (or whatever other buffer-underrun feature) was implemented. If this number is high, I might suggest the interface.

Well, USB 2.0 burns just fine so just for my information is it Firewire or possibly the Firewire chip implementation? Or could it possibly be a poor cable (I'm using a cheap one included with the enclosure)?

UGH!!! USB 2.0 is such a POS :angry: Now, while I can write at 8x I can't rip any CDs b/c the drivers are ass and Clone CD freaks out while Alcohol and a bunch of other apps don't even see the drive.

Tomorrow, I'm off to get an IEE1394 PCI card a new cable. Am I wasting my time or will this fix the problem? Any recommendations for a good controller card?

Sounds like you have it worked out...

Just read with firewire and write with USB ;)

Are you sure it is not the media?

Can you test the drive directly connected to an ATA port?

I had read in several places (a short while ago) that most media did not do well at 8x and caused error correction to kick in.

As I recall, 5x to 6x was typical of these discs.

It's worth checking out unless you know the discs can really burn at 8x. From what I have been told, you can get a DVD to burn at 8x once in a while, but it's not typical depending on brand and type of disc.

Dogeared

8^)

I had read in several places (a short while ago) that most media did not do well at 8x and caused error correction to kick in.

It's worth checking out unless you know the discs can really burn at 8x.  From what I have been told, you can get a DVD to burn at 8x once in a while, but it's not typical depending on brand and type of disc.

Dogeared

8^)

I used to have it connected as an ATA drive and everything worked fine so I know it's not the media or the drive. At this point the only thing it could be is the firewire controller chip and/or the firewire cable and I'm leaning towards the firewire controller. I've done some research and from what I can tell (no surprise here) is that the VIA chip has some issues/isn't the best performing chip. I'm going to try the Adaptec FireConnect 4300 (TI chip) with a top quality cable and see if that solves my problem. I'll report back.

It's worth checking out unless you know the discs can really burn at 8x.  From what I have been told, you can get a DVD to burn at 8x once in a while, but it's not typical depending on brand and type of disc.

Dogeared

8^)

I used to have it connected as an ATA drive and everything worked fine so I know it's not the media or the drive. At this point the only thing it could be is the firewire controller chip and/or the firewire cable and I'm leaning towards the firewire controller. I've done some research and from what I can tell (no surprise here) is that the VIA chip has some issues/isn't the best performing chip. I'm going to try the Adaptec FireConnect 4300 (TI chip) with a top quality cable and see if that solves my problem. I'll report back.

I agree with DogEared. Is sounds like the media. I have the same drive and I have noticed that burn times will vary from disc to disc. I currently use 4x Memorex (DVD+r's) and usally it will write at 8x. Every once in a while it will only write at 4x, and these are discs from the same 50 pack. I would also recommend you upgrade to the latest firmware. You can get it here. Good luck. :)

Thanks, but it's not the media - I use TDK 4x and I've burned over 300 DVDs and they all took the same time +/- ~5 sec Firmware is 1.04 I'm trying the Adaptec card as we speak and we'll see.

Thanks, but it's not the media - I use TDK 4x and I've burned over 300 DVDs and they all took the same time +/- ~5 sec  Firmware is 1.04  I'm trying the Adaptec card as we speak and we'll see.

Well it was worth a shot. :) I hope you find the cause of the problem soon.

No go, found a thread on club cdfreaks that noted that even though FW *should* have enough bandwidth no one has been able to achieve anywhere near this real world and that 6x burn is about all anyone can manage which is what I was seeing. Guess it's either 1394b or just deal as I can't take the noise from the 708UF

About the firewire bandwidth issue that is clearly not possible

I have three hard disks in firewire enclosures connected in serial ie off one Firewire port on my computer (laptop)

and i get 27 mb sec of the fast one and about 15 off the slow one

now i also have the plextor 708A on my other computer as an internal drive

burning at 8 X on 4X verbatim media

as far as i know 8 x dvd burning is 11 mb/sec so since my hdd firewire can do 27 mb/sec its not the interface

id suggest its the controller or the enclosure

a lot of the older enclosures which utilized the older chipset (although since u have oxford 911 this should not be the case but)

could only do 11-12 mb/sec which is not really enough for 8x burning as its on the limit

id suggest its the enclosure and or the the firewire built in on your motherboard.

(i would not have thought so initially as oxford 911 is the best and ive got it too but yours seems to have probs)

ill test out with my plextor in an external enclosure (one of the existing ones ive got already) and let u know

JEREMY

I'd appreciate that. I've tried using the Adaptec controller with the TI chip and I still had problems so I'm kind of stumped at this point.

Plextor works fine at 8X !!!

its you, not the drive im using firmware 1.04 and a firewire enclosure with the oxford 911 chipset. It cant be the chip set cos if you search for firewire hdd reviews there is an external hdd made by maxtor review which gets 30 mb/sec and thats oxford 911 (ill find the link if need be)

maybe your motherboard or the card has an older chipset

Im using the FIREWIRE interface on my creative sound blaster audigy 2 ZS 7.1 sound card and that works fine !?

sorry i could not help

Plextor works fine at 8X !!!

its you, not the drive im using firmware 1.04 and a firewire enclosure with the oxford 911 chipset. It cant be the chip set cos if you search for firewire hdd reviews there is an external hdd made by maxtor review which gets 30 mb/sec and thats oxford 911 (ill find the link if need be)

maybe your motherboard or the card has an older chipset

Im using the FIREWIRE interface on my creative sound blaster audigy 2 ZS 7.1 sound card and that works fine !?

sorry i could not help

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Just want to confirm that it burned a full 4.36 gigs in 8mins. My burner worked at 8x it just bufferunderan all day long.