jmhc

Pci Sata Controller

Hello there guys

I need some advices and opinions about a purchase I'm planning to do, here it is:

I own Asus P4T-E board based on intel 850 chipset and ICH2, I want to migrate to SATA hard drives especially Western Digital Raptor 36 GB. The problems is that my board does not have integrated SATA ports, so I thought about a PCI sata controller based on Silicon Image 3112 chipset.

My question is: If I buy this controller card and Western Digital Raptor, would I get the full performance of this disk or I need a board integrated SATA controller to get its full performance??

Hope you guys can give me your opinions about this

Thank you

Hello there guys

I need some advices and opinions about a purchase I'm planning to do, here it is:

I own Asus P4T-E board based on intel 850 chipset and ICH2, I want to migrate to SATA hard drives especially Western Digital Raptor 36 GB. The problems is that my board does not have integrated SATA ports, so I thought about a PCI sata controller based on Silicon Image 3112 chipset.

My question is: If I buy this controller card and Western Digital Raptor, would I get the full performance of this disk or I need a board integrated SATA controller to get its full performance??

Hope you guys can give me your opinions about this

Thank you

In order to get FULL performance you would need to have a Motherboard with the built in Native SATA ports...like the 8237SB or the ICH5R. Even with a PCI SATA raid card you will still be limited to PCI BUS.

... would I get the full performance of this disk or I need a board integrated SATA controller to get its full performance??
You will get almost all of the performance from this drive depending on what else is on the PCI bus.

You will *not* get the 150MB/sec burst transfers (mabye 110MB/sec), the *sustained* transfer rate will be around 50-55MB/sec (see Performance Database) Hardly overwhelming your PCI bus. Actually it's about half of your actual PCI bandwidth.

A very effecient 100Base-T network card could eat the other half.

If you have few (or no) additional expansion cards go for it. You will get 95%+ of the Raptor's capabilities. You will get still get the great access times and speed.

For burst speeds you would need integrated ports or a PCI-X SATA card (w/ suitable motherboard).

Dogeared

8^)

I have an ASUS A7V266 motherboard, with a PCI NIC and Promise SATA150 TX2 plus with a 36 GB Raptor on it. The performance of the Raptor is only a new MB/sec different from SR's review. Of course, when I was running benchmarks, I was not doing anything else.

Sorry I hit send send too fast. The Raptor should perform fine with an add-in PCI card. Its much faster than my other drives (Maxtor DM+9, D740X).

A PCI sATA card is perfect for a single disk, nothing else would be faster.

Unless you also get GB ethernet you cannot saturate your PCI bus.

Try HardOCP - look at their motherboard reviews, and compare the SATA performance of boards with SATA in the southbridge (ICH5, Via 8237, SIS's latest southbridge) to those with SATA on an add-in chip on the motherboard.

For one drive, you're not likely to see much difference unless there's already a lot of traffic going over your PCI bus. For two or more drives, especially in RAID, you'll be a bit limited by a PCI SATA controller.

I have right now running in PCI slots only two things, Creative Soundblaster Live Value (Planning to upgrade to an Audigy 2 soon), and a Cnet PRO200 fast ethernet adapter.

Should I go to the PCI SATA controller and raptor???

That's what I did. No problems at all. Sustained transfer rate with 36 GB Raptor of 55MB/sec. 8.3ms access. Works great. It is not likely that you will saturate your PCI bus. If you do upgrade your motherboard in the future, you can still use the SATA card and Raptor.