HisMajestyTheKing

Intel Shamelessly Advertising On Thg

I guess they need all the help they can get - they've a lot of ground to make up against AMD's 64-bit CPUs.

I just ordered a pair of dual Opteron 248 machines for a client - Fujitsu-Siemens Celcius. Due to arrive late next week. They're replacing 4 dual Xeon 2.4GHz Dell machines for doing some heavy RF simulations.

It's a good thing that it was listed in the "columns" section. They're pretty pathetic, but....mehhh what can you do.

I personally am a definitely a fan of AMD since 2000. And I have a friend of mine who's from the "new" Silicon Valley (in southern California) and some of the stuff that they're trying out there is pretty impressive. For example, PCI-Ex (PCI Express) for video cards is going to be able to plug directly to the HyperTransport of the Sledge and Clawhammer processors (Opteron and Athlon64) at which point, the transfer rates go up to about 20 GB/s or something ridiculously high like that.

Like I have said in the past, "It's about bloody time that Intel got their friggin' act together."

Great quote from the article:

Okay, so Grove isn't dead, but we don't have any fact checkers at THG like they do at the fancy-pants New York Times so, get out of my face.

I just find the "journalistic style" (if you could even call it that) of articles like that so appalling. Not surprisingly I never go there apart from following the occasional link like this one.

Seriously though, if that site ever wants to target an even more immature audience than it currently does then they're going to need some kind of pre-natal transducer to get html directly in the the womb or something.

At first I was going to say, "What's wrong with Intel advertising on a hardware review site?", when I read the "article."

Anyone remember when Tom's Hardware had competent jounalists and insightful, unbiased articles?

At first I was going to say, "What's wrong with Intel advertising on a hardware review site?", when I read the "article."

I liked being called a Maverik, and part of the slashdot crowd. Makes me feel like I'm part of a team, and thankfully not the same team as the author. What a tard.

Anyone remember when Tom's Hardware had competent jounalists and insightful, unbiased articles?

They did? When the heck was that?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

nope. i think i was reading tweakit back then, and then moved to anandtech.

Late-ish 90's, I remember thinking they were a good hardware review site. Of course, I could have just not known any better. That's certainly happened before.

I thought that their article on unstable Pentium 3 1.13 GHz models was a good piece of research, and it seems to me that after the publication of that article is when they went downhill. Maybe Intel or whomever got angry and convinced them to sell out; maybe it was Tom's leaving the writing to a bunch of idiots (I seem to remember Tom's articles that Thomas Pabst wrote himself being well thought out) that changed the culture from one of respectable journalism (IIRC) to the sensationalist tabloid propoganda crap they publish today. It's sort of a shame, because they were one of the first hardware sites, and some of their articles fueled my interest in hardware. It is even more a shame that people who don't know any better take their stories as gospel because they believe that the website is credible. I don't mind when certain other websites publish an article that is just terrible, but Tom's has a lot of readers, some of which are decision makers. This really bugs me sometimes, and it seems to be getting better, not worse.

I generally do not like saying negative things about any publication, since they are all run by humans and nobody knows everything, but Tom's Hardware just sticks out like a sore thumb due to the consistantly poor quality of their articles and their popularity. Not unlike The Register, which they publish in the U.S., but The Register at least humorously acknowledges that they are a rumor mill and do not verify things--and they are good at what they do. Tom's articles often have more basis in some author's bizarre assumptions than even in unsubstantiated rumor.

this is a great quote also, it's in regards to the 'new' Prescott

"In our opinion, Intel today does not care about Prescott as a processor, but as a marketing instrument. It is fast enough, which is mainly what counts, and since the 90 nm production-process yields cheap processors in vast quantities, the Santa Clara based company gains new flexibility. The margin for price drops is tremendous and the product portfolio will grow soon (remember the Celeron). As Intel becomes more experienced with Prescott's production, Intel will then be able to raise clock speeds at will. Until then, Northwood is a perfect backup solution." THG

They must have picked up some of microsoft's marketing morons MMM that washed

ashore, did a little CPR and revived the strategy. But users don't have to suffer from 'Prescott'

marketing syndrome...(PMS) they can get AMD 64.

I actually don't see anything wrong with the part in quotes. It isn't obviously biased or utterly absurd, and starts with the ever-important "In our opinion...."

I actually don't see anything wrong with the part in quotes. It isn't obviously biased or utterly absurd, and starts with the ever-important "In our opinion...."

there's nothing wrong with the quotes, actually. It's a reasonable argument to

reinforce the shameless advertising. Since their processor is not a revolutionary

product, aking to upgrading from MS 95 to 98 or 2000 (for some)--no big deal .

Omid Rahmat

General Manager, U.S. Operations

Omid has more than 15 years of experience in the PC industry. Most recently, he was vice president of corporate planning and communications at Expertcity Inc. Previously, he was an analyst and author specializing in digital media technologies. His articles have appeared in The Economist, San Francisco Business Journal, New Media, Game Developer and Interactivity. He is the co-founder of the GAMEXecutive Conference, a forum for executives in the electronic gaming industry

:blink: and he wrote that article :lol:

We may choose not do a review site and do completely different thing not even related to computers. That doesn't mean we can't comment on a site for what it does :P since he's outright comment his opinions of people :wacko:

LOL, a bunch of wannabes.

i think i can speak for everyone when i say that we do not want to be tom.

Where's your online review site?  Where's your commentary section?

well, i guess you're looking at it.

i'm sure you've never complained about a product or service that you couldn't produce or perform yourself.

Eh. I don't see the big deal.

Respected "traditional" publications have OpEd writers on staff that produce articles daily/weekly.

The author is stating an opinion. If Intel is willing to introduce x86-64 chips just to steal business from AMD, who knows what eles it would do. :)

When Tom ran the site and wrote/edited the content, it was *very* good.

Now he's got a bunch of twenty-somethings (maybe thirty-somethings) writing about things with which they have no experience. Pop-culture.

Anand uses Flash for his graphics so his site is useless to me. :D He keeps referring to charts that I can't see.

(Doing away with Flash has cut so much crap from my web browsing. It really is amazing.)

Back to the IDF:

If I was the Itanium Project Chief, I'd be irritated too. Instead of doing what is best for *all* of Intel, Intel has stomped on it's "competition." I really don't know why Intel bothers with AMD.

Not the brightest move for Intel in the long term, but confuses things enough in the short term to buy time. F.U.D.

I can only imagine that Sun and IBM have created fear at Intel,

Dogeared

8^)

Its called "Selling Out". People do it all the time...

Whether it was a direct sellout to Intel (or NVidia), or just the resting-on-your laurels kind of sellout, THG has long ago stopped being a place for interesting discourse of computer related ideas.

And honestly, if I'd spent 5+ years flogging the latest piece of identical looking review hardware and tried to make it interesting, I'd probably happily take a couple million and get lost :-)

Cheers,

Jules

oh well, I think THG is a great source on MB and or chipsets. It has been good use to me.

Just never read the HD reviews.

As for the column: very funny when you read between the lines...

(btw I build mainly AMD based systems)

greetz, Erik