arkus

Disk Imaging A Raid Partition

Essentially I want to clone a 15gb OS RAID partition to another partition (so that I have a 'clean' windows installation I can clone back quickly when needed). Ideally I want to clone this to another RAID partition, but if not, a non-RAID partition would suffice. The RAID is 1/0 on a Highpoint 1640 PCI controller. All drives are SATA.

I know Norton Ghost can't do this (it says it can't do s/w RAID, and *might* do h/w RAID, but it doesn't work for me).

About the only thing I've come across that may possibly be capable is Powerquest V2i Protector. Does anyone know if this will do the job? Or know of any other software that can do it?

System Specs:

PIV2.6|IS7-G|1GbDDR266|R9700Pro|SonicFury5.1|4*36GbRaptor[1/0]

2*120GbCaviar|Highpoint1640|CRW-F1|GC7000|460w EG465AX-VE(G)

ATC210cAX-1|1451Visionmaster|AltecLansing5100|WinXPSP1|DX9.0b

Ghost has worked for me on Highpoint and Gigabyte raid controllers.

Are you sure you read the descriptions accurately? The controller may use firmware and the CPU for raid functionality, and thus may be considered "software raid", but it is outside the OS which is a true "software raid". Ghost should still work.

If you have a driver issue, whereby Ghost is unable to see your controller, Ghost 2003 provides the ability to build boot disks with additional drivers. I have not tried it myself, so I can't vouch for how well it works.

The controller needs INT13 access for Ghost to use it properly.

Which has been a standard feature in computers for several years, since before 8GB drive hit the scene.

Drive Image (v2i) should work fine, provided the recovery CD can find your drive(s).

Drive Image can *create* an image while Windows is running (XP & 2000 only I think) but you will need to run the recovery CD to restore to the other drive.

So boot the CD and see what you can see.

but it doesn't work for me

I assume this means you did try Ghost.

Dogeared

8^)

Which has been a standard feature in computers for several years, since before 8GB drive hit the scene.

Actually, for a decade, at least. However, the existence of the INT13 function does not mean that a particular controller has access to it.