medfly

Intel Throws In The Towel

I don't suppose they had a choice: MS apparently said they would only develop one 64-bit version of Windows for the new 64-bit chips.

First chip is going to be a Xeon (Nocona), it seems: here:

90nm, 800MHz FSB, LGA775, 1MB L2 Cache, Prescott New Instructions (PNI), SSE3, Clackamas Technology (CT) - 64-bit Extension, IA32E Extended Technology, PCI Express, Power Management Technology - Demand Based Switching (DBS)

I want! (I've got Xeons now: I'm *very* pleased with them).

It is imperative to note that Intel has yet to give any indication other than, "there will be one operating system that will support all (64-bit) extended systems," of compatibility with AMDs implementation.

Of course this means Intel could further extend AMD64 just like AMD extended IA32. Obviously the two inctruction sets are compatible. I would not be surprised if they chose to implement AMD64 exactly however. It is certainly the safe, intelligent thing to do when you are in the position Intel is in.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

It is imperative to note that Intel has yet to give any indication other than, "there will be one operating system that will support all (64-bit) extended systems," of compatibility with AMDs implementation.

Of course this means Intel could further extend AMD64 just like AMD extended IA32.  Obviously the two inctruction sets are compatible.  I would not be surprised if they chose to implement AMD64 exactly however.  It is certainly the safe, intelligent thing to do when you are in the position Intel is in.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

They're already doing it. 'Prescott New Instructions' and the 'Tejas New Instructions' will be in AI32e (Intelese for x86-64)...

Occupant 2,

Do you mean Intel has already declared it is implementing AMD64 exactly.

Or do you mean they have already declared that they are extending/modifying it.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

Whatever Intel does, I hope for everyone's sake that 64-bit Windows will be fully compatible with AMD64 and not geared to run optimally on Intel CPU's and also on AMD as a sidenote. If Intel succeeds in hijacking AMD64 and modifying it enough so that software compiled to run on Intel's chips, AMD and the market as a whole may face bleak times. AMD in the short run, everyone else in the long run.

Apparently the two architecture's are "broadly" compatible...

Hmmm

"for the most part the OSes for one will run on another,"...

"For the most part"... that's just spectacular :blink:

Goddamn crazy people.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

I hope M$ does a good thing for once and tells Intel to stick an incompatible CPU where it would hurt most. Considering the wattage of the new Prescotts that might be very painful indeed ;)

Turns out that they didn't do anything different at all.

I guess Intely just doen't want to admit that they copied AMD. :o

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

Wow. Intel really has a "thing" for AMD!

They just stomped on AMDs bottom line. Ouch! IA32e + Intel extensions (SSE3, etc.)

I guess Intel is more interested in keeping the public's eye (and keeping AMD in its place) than offering scaling into the Itanium market.

I can see how a lot of companies that were considering Opterons will now wait for Intel.

Opteron will still have the upper hand regaring power (heat) in the high density area, and Althlon64 will be the only desktop chip for a while.

Again, we are back to the same old game. Intel will still own the market with AMD saying "Hey! Remember us? We started the 64-bit PC thing."

Until 64-bit games hit the market will anyone really care about 64-bit PCs?

I suppose Sun's entry into this market influenced Intel,

Dogeared

8^)

As much as I can tell, these 64-bit chips will be staying in Xeon server land, where the Opteron was making inroads. Not a surprise.

These chips will still be hot and use the north bridge-south bridge chipset design. AMD64's onboard memory controller still whips up, and I expect it to continue so doing.

Turns out that they didn't do anything different at all.

I guess Intely just doen't want to admit that they copied AMD.  :o

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

That's why Intel used the suffix CT - Competitor's Technology. :D

jrv,

That's why Intel used the suffix CT - Competitor's Technology.

Indeed, LOL.