den's

Data Corruption On Sata Controller

I'v got 2 250Gb PATA drives connected on my onboard (A7N8X deluxe) SATA Raid controller (sil3112) with abit serillel converters.

I don't use RAID mode.

When I copy big amount of data from one disk to the other (which is BRAND NEW), and then when a do a chkdsk on the second drive I'v got errors and sometime bad clusters.

I don't think the problem is the hard drive itself, as it is new.

But how can I investigate the problem :

- controller driver problem (using .40 with 4.2.27 sata bios) ?

- ram or overclocking problem ?... (2500+ o/c to 200 fsb (200*11), 1Gb crucial RAM 2.5 3 3

- PATA -> SATA converters

- other ?...

Olaf,

Beats me. I had one myself last week, lost quarter of my work. I thought that it's the outdated VIA SATA RAID driver I was using, after getting the new version, the problem persisted. References at Expert-Exchange, amdmb and viaarena and SF pointed to Windows XP.

Installed the fix and no longer having it.

This is interesting. I have had problems for a while now with 1-3 (of 6) WD2500JD drives dropping at a time from my LSI-Logic SATA 150-6 RAID controller.

I have just been in correspondence with Western Digital and LSI-Logic on this issue and the results I feel are important to share.

Western Digital advised me to update my apati.sys and to patch my Windows XP SP1 as mentioned by synthexp. The LSI tech support was more interesting and had this to say:

We are aware of the symptoms describe and it is a known issue.  The drive-dropping problem is a serious issue we are working fervently to fix. It has so far been reported only on 250 gig SATA drives, but our competitors (Adaptec, 3ware) are reportedly experiencing the same problems.  We have been working with several drive manufacturers to resolve this.  LSI Logic has developed a new firmware that may fix this problem.  It hasn't finished testing, but I can send you a BETA-only copy if you would like.  At this time, this is the only possible fix, though we hope to validate a fix as soon as humanly possible.

It was after this that I mentioned the XP patch and if this would fix it:

It is not related to the 48-bit LBA problem, but is a seperate issue.  T12U [firmware] is supposed to fix the drive dropping issue.

Is something weird is going on? <_<

dropped overclock settings and same results :(

@synthexp : didn't try to install your patch, but how could it resolve my problem : I'm getting corruption while "heavy writing" (big amount of data), and not when shutdown or standby or hibernation :huh:

dropped overclock settings and same results  :(

@synthexp : didn't try to install your patch, but how could it resolve my problem : I'm getting corruption while "heavy writing" (big amount of data), and not when shutdown or standby or hibernation  :huh:

so did i until i read these.

http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=268068

http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?s=&...15&pagenumber=1