eltoro

Ibm Gxp Fiasco Secrets Revealed !

This news is old news yet people keep buying "Hitachi"!!!

What, no one learned from the Deskstars?

Like my father always says, "Half of us are below average!"

Stick me once, shame on you. Stick me twice, shame on me.

IBM was known for having the best disks in the industry for many years.. they had a bad model... now they are leading edge again and have, in my mind, disks that are just as reliable as the other makers...

I think overall IBM/Hitachi's track record is very good. This stick me once, stick me twice stuff is crap.

There have been other manufacturers with bad models as well, I recall very specifically a bad WD line of drives around the 1-2GB range. And just yesterday I heard about a class action lawsuit against specific older samsung drives. I think quantum also had some bad drives because of a hot chip on the PCB...

Yah, everyone has a monday product sooner or later.

But as IBM gladly pointed out, not everyone ADMITS that they have bollocked it up.

They continued screwing their customers even after they knew their drive was stinker.Including compaq, wich isnt a small customer even.

That is unforgiving in my eyes.

And thats not because they gave Compaq the brown eye... cuz f*** them too ;)

Buzz - I totaly agree, and that;s why they should be bashed.

A bad product here and there is not a reason to leave a manufacturer, but finding out how they continue to push their crapy product into the market even after they found out how crapy it is, is unforgiven!!

Please based a lot of sensetive and important data on these drives long after IBM found what a high failure chance these drives have.

I'm not talking gaming rigs here, but many work computers, where a lot of my engineers lost many work hours due to these failures...arrrrrrgggg !!

I say f*** them!!

And maybe it's interersting to point out at this ocasuin, but lately I found IBM to stink in other areas too. I was used to buy replacement ThinkPad batteries from their lab, which was cheaper than the regular retailers, but a month ago they decided to raise the price to more than 2 times the original price ?!?!

Also, I wanted to purchase a 4th year warranty extension for a X230 server, and found out that it cost around $2000, which is about 50% of the server's price !!!!

Something bad is brewing at IBM.

Buzz - I totally agree, and that's why they should be bashed.

A bad product here and there is not a reason to leave a manufacturer, but finding out how they continue to push their crapy product into the market even after they found out how crapy it is, is unforgiving!!

Please based a lot of sensitive and important data on these drives long after IBM found what a high failure chance these drives have.

I'm not talking gaming rigs here, but many work computers, where a lot of my engineers lost many work hours due to these failures...arrrrrrgggg !!

I say f*** them!!

And maybe it's interesting to point out at this occasion, but lately I found IBM to stink in other areas too. I was used to buy replacement ThinkPad batteries from their lab, which was cheaper than the regular retailers, but a month ago they decided to raise the price to more than 2 times the original price ?!?!

Also, I wanted to purchase a 4th year warranty extension for a X230 server, and found out that it cost around $2000, which is about 50% of the server's price !!!!

Something bad is brewing at IBM.

My 40GB 60GXP just crashed - been going through data recovery for about 10 days solid now - still under warranty so back it goes to IBM.

The great thing about stunts like this is that no one will be accountable - IBM got out of HDs so they aren't going to lose any business, not that I want anyone to lose their job but no one will suffer incept the consumers. All IBM has to do is replace a few HDs now, it seems product integrity has long gone even from blue chip places.

Anyhow does anyone know what drives they send as RMAs? Refurbished Deathstars by any chance?

i hear they only give back 180GXPs now... as the 180gxp has been out for a while that means there are probably going to be some remanufactured ones in there, but mostly new.