alpha754293

Migration Help

Question for you folks: What's the best way to migrate my system from a 18 GB 10krpm SCSI drive to a 36 GB 10krpm SCSI?

Options that I have so far considered:

a) booting off IDE drive, and copying everything* from one drive to the other via Windows (don't know if it actually does EVERYTHING, i.e. MBR, partition tables, etc)

B) using SCSI RAID card (Mylex AcceleRAID 250), and create a RAID1 array between the two drives, then disconnect the drive the two drives from the RAID card and plug it back to the SCSI (non-RAID) card.

c) Re-install EVERYTHING on the 36 GB drive like I had done when I first got the 18 GB and "rebuild" the drive that way (least favorite option, because it's the most time consuming)

d) use Norton Ghost

Notes:

- both drives MUST be in NTFS format ultimately due to the size of files that are created

- Alternative option would be to do any and/or combination of those listed about, and then try to expand the partition. One of my friends have kinda hinted at advising against that because it IS Windows after all.

a ) Probably wouldn't work correctly.

b ) Seems risky/overcomplicated.

c ) Not really worth it unless your installation is getting old and bloated with registry junk, etc.

d ) Quick and easy. Ghost 2003 should cope well enough, doing a disk to disk copy, but some HDD manufacturers bundle equivalent utilities with their drive tools.

I agree about the b ) thing. It shouldn't do it unless you use a capital B.

c ) Not really worth it unless your installation is getting old and bloated with registry junk, etc.

d ) Quick and easy. Ghost 2003 should cope well enough, doing a disk to disk copy, but some HDD manufacturers bundle equivalent utilities with their drive tools.

The only thing about Norton Ghost is that I don't know how well it would be able to copy drives of different capacities, specially in migration situations like this where it's a move from a smaller drive to a larger one.

The only thing about Norton Ghost is that I don't know how well it would be able to copy drives of different capacities, specially in migration situations like this where it's a move from a smaller drive to a larger one.

Obviously you've never used Ghost to make a comment like that...

(Ghost was designed to do exactly what you need to do...)

Yes, it sounds like you have not used Ghost before!

Of course, we are assuming that the only thing you have changed in your system is the hard drive. If that is the case, "Ghosting" from the old drive to the new one should probably take 20 minutes or so...

That's because although they claim to be disk "imagers," Ghost and Drive Image are really just backup solutions, they don't image the disk. Not in the sense that I think about imaging, anyway.

As the others have stated, Ghost will work just fine. Incidently, Norton offers some packages that will get you several other Norton programs for just a little bit more than the cost of Ghost. I think SystemWorks is one of them.

-- Rick

That's because although they claim to be disk "imagers," Ghost and Drive Image are really just backup solutions, they don't image the disk.  Not in the sense that I think about imaging, anyway.

-- Rick

I can highly recommend Drive Image 7.x. You can copy larger drives to smaller ones (given enough space) or smaller drives to larger ones. I have done this *thousands* of times.

Curious about your definition of a disk imager.

My testing with older versions proved Drive Image created a sector-based disk image. It does not perform any movement of data on the disk. You get *exact* copies. The image *files* are compressed, although compression is optional, but the restored image is a 100% match at the disk level

I have not tried testing v.7.x. It would be interesting to see if they can still put each sector back since it runs while Windows is running.

As a torture test example on WinXP Pro with Drive Image 7.0:

I ran the following apps while performing a disk image:

Music Match - playing MP3's from the hard drive

Photoshop - batch editing 100 TIFF files

Mozilla - Downloading ISOs

Jedi Academy - played locally

- all activity was on the hard drive being imaged.

It took *forever* to complete but the restore worked perfectly. ( I took a "clean" image first...just in case ;))

I do not have any current experience with Ghost, so I cannot attest to its performance. But I don't know what more one could want from imaging software.

Dogeared

Curious about your definition of a disk imager.

In the olden days a disk image was a bit image, not sector images.

What if the sectors are of different sizes?

-- Rick

So...if I Ghost the drive from 18 GB to 36 GB (out of the 18, only 16.2 GB is used), it should be fine, right? and that I should be able to plug that in as the boot drive without (or with very little issues?)

(and that's the same with Drive Image?)

Guess that my major question would be in the case of Ghost or Drive Image: would it partition the drive as two 18 GB partitions, or a single 36 GB? Can I get it so that it's a single 36 GB partition even after Ghosting/Drive Imaging?

Yes, you're right, it's fine.

More specifically, it is possible, at least with Ghost (which I've used), and probably with Drive Image (which I've not used lately), to take an image of an 18 GB partition, with 16GB used, and restore it to a 36 GB drive as a 16 to 36 GB partition (the default being to create a partition of the maximum available size)..

With Ghost 7.5 at least, the option of Disk-to-Disk copy defaults to maximizing the target partition size, which is what you want. If you want to see how reliable Ghost is and if your boot OS is NT4 or W2K, try imaging your SCSI drive to an equal-size IDE drive running off your motherboard's ATA controller - your OS should run fine off the new IDE drive due to its HAL architecture.

I did the Ghost operation. Successfully completed. Doing a 7-day evaluation process. Haven't noticed anything different about the system other than just having more available storage space. Otherwise, works perfectly fine so far.

Thanks guys.