supercaffeinated

Fusion Hdtv3 Gold

You should try dl'ing using my cellphone as a modem, only get about 12-13KB/sec :P First demo doesn't even come up for me, second one is working OK.

Yeah, I'm getting the second one as well.... at about 53K/s now... I only use my cellphone as a modem when I'm on the train :) I can't wait for the goddam bluetooth SD card from palm to support OS5.... it's really annoying they haven't sorted it out yet.... it's been about 4 months since my treo 600 came out already...

That card should be perfect... it'll fit in an XPC, and I can send the output to my projector at 1024x768 via an Avocent Longview Wireless KVM http://www.kvmswitchpros.com/lv3500w-am.html ... The only thing that scares me is their comment about it not doing so hot with the QAM signals from digital cable....

The demo looked awesome on my desktop. It failed to run (displayed an error) on my laptop, which has a radeon mobility chip....

The quality is pretty impressive. I'm not sure how many channels I can get around here, but I'd like to give it a shot. I might as well wait for the new version of that card (3) to become available. Perhaps they'll sort out the QAM stuff as well.

I actually ordered one yesterday. On my XP1700 @ 2GHz with a AIW8500, the demos took 25-30% CPU utilization in DxVA mode, which is acceptable to me. They're supposed to start shipping tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

The quality is pretty impressive.  I'm not sure how many channels I can get around here, but I'd like to give it a shot.  I might as well wait for the new version of that card (3) to become available.  Perhaps they'll sort out the QAM stuff as well.

In any case the unencrypted QAM is only used for basic cable channels, you won't be able to tune in any of the premium cable channels like HBO, SHO etc.

hold the phone!. the chief complaint on all of the hd products is driver/software quality and stability (esp with regard to dealing with other esoteric hardware or chipsets). ati has the resources and the experience to deal with that.

Another knock against Divco's Fusion 3 is in regards to its handling of NTSC signals. Namely, its using the CX23881, which just so happens to not support BTSC-dBX audio (which is what we use overhere in N.A.). Of course, this isn't a big deal if your only interested in the ATSC features (which, after all, is what the card is all about) and don't give a damn about its analog feature set.

http://www.dvico.co.kr/Download/d_fusionhdtvdemo.asp

This 2.00 demo is a few versions later than the one on the US page, so it should work a bit better. It also has 1080i Highest, and High mode for full-resolution (1920x1080) decoding and 1280x720 decoding in software mode, if you'd like to test your might.

I've had the Fusion 2 since May, I think, so I've had a while to get used to all the quirks and shortcomings of the FusionHDTV software. It's nowhere close to perfect, but it can be made to work fairly well; and it's being improved, slowly, but steadily. I'm looking forward to the Fusion 3 as well, it might have a better tuner and it might just work for the cable HDTV channels here (Comcast with incrementally-related channel frequencies).

I myself have a fairly non-standard setup for the Fusion 2 (pure software decode and a ridiculously overclocked t-bred b.) and even with 2.45GHz, it's just barely enough for full-resolution decoding. Half-res (960x540) is about 70% load or so, very reasonable, and leaves enough CPU power around to record shows to disk.

Most setups will use a video card with DxVA (gf4, gf4mx, radeon) to help with the decode process. I don't have any experience with those. One day, I'll pounce on the 9800pro, and see what all this DxVA fuss is about. :)

feh, thanks for the heads up about the newer demo s/w. Between the Korean and US page there are 9 demos! Awesome.

And speaking of demos, I forgot to mention that the linux card pcHDTV that I linked to above also has a demo d/l. Can't link directly to the page as their site uses frames, but just go to the download section: http://www.pchdtv.com/

I just got the card, and installed it a little while ago. I'm just under 10 miles from the ESB, and am using a Silver Sensor indoor antenna. Some quick observations:

If I run it in DxVA mode with the Catalyst 4.2 drivers, I get spontaneous reboots, but it runs fine in software mode.

With the Silver Sensor, I pick up CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, 2 PBSs (1 does HD, and the other has 4 digital sub-channels), and Telefutura. I only get 20-25% signal on the WB and nothing on Univision.

The analog tuner seems slightly better than my AIW, but not as good as using my VCR's tuner.

Doing a search for QAM stations from cable, it finds a few, but it won't let me tune to them. I know that there are some unencrypted QAM stations on my cable system.

More later...