gbb123

Hosting Company Looking For Input

Once my company starts out I dont want to have to change servers all the time so I am just thinking in the long run about what configuration will suit my company 5 years from now.

imho, 5 years is a LONG timeframe for computer.. _VERY_ long.

In web hosting, if you are gowing well, two years is eternity.

https://www.servermatrix.com/solutions/sr24_server.html

2x2.4ghz xeons, 2x200gb drives, 1gb ecc ram, 5 ips, 1000gb/mnth of bandwidth, redhat enterprise or win2k3 server (all updates managed for you), web-based control panel.  $279/month.  you could get 2-3 of these for the monthly cost of a t1+loop+isp alone.

Well Im DEFINITELY not going with a dedicated server so Co-Locating my servers is my only other option. The co-location price should be much lower then the dedicated price. Can you get that price? I emailed them but have not recieved a response yet.

By the way I have been looking into raid 10. Im thinking it is probobly a much better way to go then raid 5. If I do decide to go with raid 10, can I use it with only one channel thus creating two raid 10 arrays ( 1 per channel)? The article here you gave me doesnt explain whether raid 10 can be used on one single channel or not. I would like to create two raid 10 arrays 1 per channel using 8 drives in each array.

That means I would have two 4 drive raid 1 stripes compined into one single raid 0 stripe per channel.

Let me know what you think , I apreciate your help tremendously it has really got me thinking :o .

I also talked to another guy who tried starting his own datacenter today on the phone in '97. He said he had air conditioning systems, dual generators, and the whole works in his facility. He explained that the maintanance just got too much for him and he sold it. He now runs 4 cabinets at a colocation facility, and lets them do the maintanance. He said he just makes the phone call if their is a problem with something, and its taken care of.

If I can go to the place you are recommending for around 300/mo for a full cabinet, and 95 percent tile bandwidth restriction(100 mb feed) then I think I will go to them.

Once my company starts out I dont want to have to change servers all the time so I am just thinking in the long run about what configuration will suit my company 5 years from now.

In web hosting, if you are gowing well, two years is eternity.

No matter what happens in the next few years, I will find a way to use these servers regardless.

Gotta be careful with the 64-bit Linux. There are many drivers that aren't supported in 64-bit mode yet.

I totally agree. Usually we have 3 year old machines turned into caching servers or the such.

What in Lord's green Earth will these 1,000 users be doing all the same EXACT time? I mean what you describe, my place used like 3 mediocre boxes (dual 500Mhz p3s) that handle those tasks fine.

My raid card is fully supported by my operating system and their is a driver for it(Im just guessing that 64 bit processing is supported because SLES is 64 bit OS and it says it supports that OS for my raid card):

http://www.lsilogic.com/files/support/rsa/txt/2.00.3.txt

Well Im DEFINITELY not going with a dedicated server

why not?

The co-location price should be much lower then the dedicated price.  Can you get that price?  I emailed them but have not recieved a response yet.

they were offering colos at servermatrix as recently as a couple weeks ago, but it appears they have discontinued the program. opposite of your expectation, it was not nearly as cost-effective in terms of bandwidth. most colo plans charge per 'u' for space, and then charge in blocks of bandwidth. a dedicated server really is a better deal. servermatrix will give you a ton of bandwidth, free/immediate hardware replacement in the case of failure, and a commercial os with managed patching.

as for raid 10, i still think you may be overshooting, but a single-channel raid 10 array should be fine as long as you aren't bumping into a bandwidth cap.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and encourage more users to give their 2 cents on what they think I should do with my companies servers! B)

Hey everybody, Belgium talking here ...

over here in Europe co-locations are available at 220$ monthly for 8 units (2x a 4 unit server) Each server is conneted at a 10Mbits redundant connection, and you got a monthly traffic of 50Gb for each server, which you can update at 2.5$ for every extra GB you want to use.

You want to update your server? Well, no problem, you got access to it 24/7 without paying for it; must be expensive though, flying over to Belgium all the time to update your server :o

Take care

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and encourage more users to give their 2 cents on what they think I should do with my companies servers!  B)

Well, something that I did not see anyone reply to is the notion of "DVD burner for daily backups". The standard for backing up systems such as you describe is tape - pretty much period, other than "what kind?" (DLT, AIT, etc.). This should be running continually - doing potentially multiple incrementals an hour, with potentially full backups according to whatever schedule floats your boat.*

Your general approach is contrary to the overall trend, and probably a not so great business model. For a whole bunch of reasons, most folks (as has been suggested by others) are going for the "many mediocre systems" approach compared to the "few muscular systems" method. Take just one of your apps in consideration: DNS. You have suggested building only one DNS server, however you need at least two. Three or four are better. You can build a basic server-class box perfect for DNS use for less than $1K - and that is still very "server class" (Intel or equiv server mobo, certified 1U case, etc.). The great thing here is that those boxes will be 100% dedicated to DNS, and because they are so cheap it will never even cross your mind to use them for something else "just a little bit". Overall you will probably be better served by this approach.

Your optimistic scenario about the number of users etc. will allow you to continually add boxes of the same configuration to add capacity as required, in easy and inexpensive steps, and as you have the capital. Make no mistake about it - this is in no way a 5 year (or even 3 year, or even 3 day) "fire and forget" setup that would will be able to build no matter which approach you choose. You are talking about a very busy occupation here for somebody.

*Oh, and one of those <$1K boxes would make a good dedicated backup box w/tape, too....